ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
First time in the "Big House" - Quite an atmosphere, but not quite as big as I thought it would be. UT-Knoxville's stadium feels bigger to me. Michigan fans were nice, fairly reserved. Didn't feel like an intimidating place to play at all, but I'm sure it gets rowdier in Big Ten play.

The game, overall: Our guys were ready to play. As stock said, we didn't flinch. Our players, specifically our defense, even seemed to relish the crowd's cheers for Michigan and feed off the energy. This year's team clearly has a strong bond and really feels like they're on a mission....possibly to finish last year's business where we came up short 2 points in the Championship game.....

QB play....Asher looked good when our line held up. Really good. He reminds me of Mason Fine but with even better wheels. His ability to create when a play breaks down is game changing. He is a true dual threat kid and likely our starter for years to come in my eyes unless Randall Johnson starts playing out of his mind. From a potential standpoint, I feel like Asher has the ability to deliver a CUSA championship and 10+ win season if all things fall into place. Having a true dual threat QB at the G5 level is just so important. Cunningham might be the better true passer but his pocket presence left a lot to be desired and he clearly lacks the mobility Asher has. Asher is the clear #1, Cunningham can be back up, and Johnson is going to red-shirt and hopefully get things figured out.

RB....Not much to see here because we simply couldn't run the ball effectively unless it was Asher doing it. I did like the little bits of Jayy McDonald that we saw, and Zach Dobson continues to impress. Mobley left a bit to be desired as he just couldn't make anybody miss. I expected better from him, but to be fair it was Michigan. Terelle West has got to protect the ball better you cannot fumble in that situation you are a redshirt senior and should be setting the example.

OL...Overall, good, but some isolated incidents where they were just overwhelmed. To be expected with the opponent I suppose. I was very surprised Amir Luckett held his own as he is typically a sieve against Power 5 teams. Most of the issues were on the left side of the line from what I saw, specifically in pass pro. I didn't have a roster with me so I was a bit unclear on exactly who was playing at times. We will have a much better idea about this unit after the Tenn St. game.

DL...Pretty impressed. We lost some serious talent on the inside and didn't miss too much of a beat. If there was one weakness I would single out, it would be giving up runs between the tackles. Michigan seemed to get whatever they wanted inside the tackles (except in goal line). The Charbonnet kid carried the ball 8 times for 90 yards. That's 11 YPC which is just insane. Our base defense has got to get better between the tackles on expected run downs. Tennessee State will for sure test our interior this week after the Michigan performance. The Jordan Branch sack of Patterson was fantastic...great effort there from a freshman. The goal line stand was obviously amazing and unexpected. I feel like the parts are there we just need more refinement on the DL.

LB....Good as always. Khalil Brooks is a F'ing MAN. Anyone else remember the play where he destroys his block, gets back up, and nearly sacks the QB? That is one bad dude. They scored a TD on that play because our defender fell down, but it was great effort and great play from Brooks despite the TD. Cody Smith held his own in his first big start, and DQ Thomas is more than serviceable and will only get better. My only complaint with this group is the lack of pressure despite how much we blitzed. We did get 2 sacks and 3 TFL's but it just didn't feel like the pressure was there on Patterson when we blitzed most of the time. You simply cannot let a QB sit back and be that comfortable when you are playing man across the board in the secondary or he is going to pick you apart just like Michigan did with all those big passing plays.

Secondary....They weren't as bad as they looked. They do need to stop slipping and falling because that nearly ensures a wide open TD for the opponent, but they did about as well as they could given the circumstances. Our DB's have the toughest job of any position group on the team in our style of defense because they are consistently asked to play man coverage with 1 or sometimes 0 safety help over the top. Considering how much size they were giving up to Michigan WR's and the fact that we rarely pressured Patterson, they did about as well as they could. Quincy Riley, #4, really caught my eye and I won't be surprised if he earns himself a starting spot. Good looking athletic player with decent size and appears to have those good raw corner instincts. Really like what I saw from him.

Special teams....Michigan fans were growing restless with Ty Lee's consistent fair catches on kick offs. By the 3rd quarter there were audible boo's regarding the automatic fair catch. Punting was decent. Michigan did get a partial block on one and 2 others had very poor hang time but we had some difficult punt safe situations backed up into our end zone where he's just trying to get it off. We didn't give up any huge special teams plays so I suppose we did okay. There's certainly plenty of room for improvement though.

TN State.....This is far from a guaranteed win. This game is closer to a coin flip than anything else. TN State has serious talent on their roster and is stocked full of Power 5 transfer talent and a few NFL prospects. If our players overlook them even in the slightest, we will lose.

My only burning question remaining from the Michigan game......

Does the Massaro / Blackburn Accounting method call the $1.6 million Michigan welfare check payday a “Major Gift” or classify it as Season
Ticket revenue?

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
TN State.....This is far from a guaranteed win. This game is closer to a coin flip than anything else. TN State has serious talent on their roster and is stocked full of Power 5 transfer talent and a few NFL prospects. If our players overlook them even in the slightest, we will lose.

Sad it’s not. I just don’t know what you take away from this game. A disinterested Michigan team plays us 75%. I don’t know how to evaluate it. Could be worse....could be western.

Reactions: mtfblue
First time in the "Big House" - Quite an atmosphere, but not quite as big as I thought it would be. UT-Knoxville's stadium feels bigger to me. Michigan fans were nice, fairly reserved. Didn't feel like an intimidating place to play at all, but I'm sure it gets rowdier in Big Ten play.

The game, overall: Our guys were ready to play. As stock said, we didn't flinch. Our players, specifically our defense, even seemed to relish the crowd's cheers for Michigan and feed off the energy. This year's team clearly has a strong bond and really feels like they're on a mission....possibly to finish last year's business where we came up short 2 points in the Championship game.....

QB play....Asher looked good when our line held up. Really good. He reminds me of Mason Fine but with even better wheels. His ability to create when a play breaks down is game changing. He is a true dual threat kid and likely our starter for years to come in my eyes unless Randall Johnson starts playing out of his mind. From a potential standpoint, I feel like Asher has the ability to deliver a CUSA championship and 10+ win season if all things fall into place. Having a true dual threat QB at the G5 level is just so important. Cunningham might be the better true passer but his pocket presence left a lot to be desired and he clearly lacks the mobility Asher has. Asher is the clear #1, Cunningham can be back up, and Johnson is going to red-shirt and hopefully get things figured out.

RB....Not much to see here because we simply couldn't run the ball effectively unless it was Asher doing it. I did like the little bits of Jayy McDonald that we saw, and Zach Dobson continues to impress. Mobley left a bit to be desired as he just couldn't make anybody miss. I expected better from him, but to be fair it was Michigan. Terelle West has got to protect the ball better you cannot fumble in that situation you are a redshirt senior and should be setting the example.

OL...Overall, good, but some isolated incidents where they were just overwhelmed. To be expected with the opponent I suppose. I was very surprised Amir Luckett held his own as he is typically a sieve against Power 5 teams. Most of the issues were on the left side of the line from what I saw, specifically in pass pro. I didn't have a roster with me so I was a bit unclear on exactly who was playing at times. We will have a much better idea about this unit after the Tenn St. game.

DL...Pretty impressed. We lost some serious talent on the inside and didn't miss too much of a beat. If there was one weakness I would single out, it would be giving up runs between the tackles. Michigan seemed to get whatever they wanted inside the tackles (except in goal line). The Charbonnet kid carried the ball 8 times for 90 yards. That's 11 YPC which is just insane. Our base defense has got to get better between the tackles on expected run downs. Tennessee State will for sure test our interior this week after the Michigan performance. The Jordan Branch sack of Patterson was fantastic...great effort there from a freshman. The goal line stand was obviously amazing and unexpected. I feel like the parts are there we just need more refinement on the DL.

LB....Good as always. Khalil Brooks is a F'ing MAN. Anyone else remember the play where he destroys his block, gets back up, and nearly sacks the QB? That is one bad dude. They scored a TD on that play because our defender fell down, but it was great effort and great play from Brooks despite the TD. Cody Smith held his own in his first big start, and DQ Thomas is more than serviceable and will only get better. My only complaint with this group is the lack of pressure despite how much we blitzed. We did get 2 sacks and 3 TFL's but it just didn't feel like the pressure was there on Patterson when we blitzed most of the time. You simply cannot let a QB sit back and be that comfortable when you are playing man across the board in the secondary or he is going to pick you apart just like Michigan did with all those big passing plays.

Secondary....They weren't as bad as they looked. They do need to stop slipping and falling because that nearly ensures a wide open TD for the opponent, but they did about as well as they could given the circumstances. Our DB's have the toughest job of any position group on the team in our style of defense because they are consistently asked to play man coverage with 1 or sometimes 0 safety help over the top. Considering how much size they were giving up to Michigan WR's and the fact that we rarely pressured Patterson, they did about as well as they could. Quincy Riley, #4, really caught my eye and I won't be surprised if he earns himself a starting spot. Good looking athletic player with decent size and appears to have those good raw corner instincts. Really like what I saw from him.

Special teams....Michigan fans were growing restless with Ty Lee's consistent fair catches on kick offs. By the 3rd quarter there were audible boo's regarding the automatic fair catch. Punting was decent. Michigan did get a partial block on one and 2 others had very poor hang time but we had some difficult punt safe situations backed up into our end zone where he's just trying to get it off. We didn't give up any huge special teams plays so I suppose we did okay. There's certainly plenty of room for improvement though.

Good stuff. Here's my piece.

Sad it’s not. I just don’t know what you take away from this game. A disinterested Michigan team plays us 75%. I don’t know how to evaluate it. Could be worse....could be western.
Why do you say they played us 75%? I hate that assumption and it is very rarely true. Like when UCF beat Auburn people said it was because Auburn did not want to be there. Total BS. Michigan gave 100% and just did not play their best game and we played pretty good.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Guarantee those kids are not out there giving 75% - They all want to play in the NFL and if anything, they're giving even more effort trying to feast on us for more stats and highlights.

And one last thing.....

I loved Stockstill's presser after the game. He stated something to the effect of "We came in here thinking and expecting to win......as crazy as that sounds"

I love the confidence and I love the fact that we are giving our all in these Power 5 match ups. This team showed a lot of heart and competitive fire and it's apparent that trickles down from our staff to the players. I really think Stockstill has evolved as a coach the last 2-3 years. He used to be so obsessed with statistical numbers and playing not to lose, hoping the other team would beat themselves. I feel like that mentality has gone away these last 2-3 years and he's evolved into a coach that's trying to win games and taking the necessary risks to do so.

Hopefully the results will follow. We desperately need a CUSA championship and 10 win season in the Boro. It's been far too long.

Some good points. My concern with coach stock regarding playing to win:

When MT plays these Top 25 teams particularly on opening day, coach stock's approach has always struck me as more open and gutsy, particularly when MT is heavy dogs. It seems like a nothing to lose approach is there. It's home openers vs teams that where MT has a reasonable expectation of winning that coach stock has seemed to tighten up and play not to lose. Obviously, this is all just a general view. I hope you are correct though, I like MT's chances a lot better this upcoming week if MT plays to win.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Michigan did not play us 75%. If I see a kid playing 75%, I'm benching his ass and Harbaugh is the same way. We brought the heat defensively. We punched them in the mouth and that's all I wanted. I think we are a better team this year already. We didn't even show up vs. Vandy and UGA last year. We more than showed up vs. UM.

TSU has players but they don't have the schemes to be deadly like some of the other teams we play. They didn't win their conference last year or make the playoffs. I wouldn't exactly call them world beaters. I'm not overlooking them but we need to run the ball and I think we will. TSU will not be able to handle Asher. He is an X-factor. Defensively, we just have to stop the run and force them to throw. Do that, and we will take this game.

Reactions: playersu12
A disinterested Michigan team plays us 75%.

I would say it's safe to say that Michigan players played at 100%, however, if you wanted to say that Michigan didn't attempt to dismantle us I would agree. I viewed the 2nd half of the game as an opportunity for Michigan to work out some offensive kinks and treated it as a scrimmage when they brought in Dylan McCaffrey. The goal line stand was a situational test where the Michigan coaches probably wanted to send a message of their trust in the O-Line (which backfired a little bit)...if it was Ohio State they probably would of been a little more creative.

Could they of put up more points, maybe but defensively UM probably felt like they had the game in hand and wanted to try some things out. I don't think that shows negatively on MTSU.

Reactions: mtfblue
I would say it's safe to say that Michigan players played at 100%, however, if you wanted to say that Michigan didn't attempt to dismantle us I would agree. I viewed the 2nd half of the game as an opportunity for Michigan to work out some offensive kinks and treated it as a scrimmage when they brought in Dylan McCaffrey. The goal line stand was a situational test where the Michigan coaches probably wanted to send a message of their trust in the O-Line (which backfired a little bit)...if it was Ohio State they probably would of been a little more creative.

Could they of put up more points, maybe but defensively UM probably felt like they had the game in hand and wanted to try some things out. I don't think that shows negatively on MTSU.

I mean the thing is...Michigan didn't play their best. We cling to these moral victories of losing by only a certain amount of points in the past 15 years to superior teams. Let me ask this. When did we have a huge gap in talent when we beat somebody? Like when it wasn't close, but we won anyway. Maybe once, twice? That's coaching right there.

If we lose by 20 or 35 does it really matter? We weren't close to actually competing with them. The best thing you can say is that no injuries of importance occurred and the check cleared.

I mean the thing is...Michigan didn't play their best. We cling to these moral victories of losing by only a certain amount of points in the past 15 years to superior teams. Let me ask this. When did we have a huge gap in talent when we beat somebody? Like when it wasn't close, but we won anyway. Maybe once, twice? That's coaching right there.

If we lose by 20 or 35 does it really matter? We weren't close to actually competing with them. The best thing you can say is that no injuries of importance occurred and the check cleared.

Or course it matters...have you ever played sports? You are looking for any edge you can get. As a fan your looking for a sign of hope with a new season. The fact that we had goal line stands not once but twice against Michigan means something. Against most top ten teams we have been slaughtered, that didn't happen. We have a brand new QB who was a threat to them - it matters. Our team never quit or were overwhelmed. There were a lot of positives from the first game, even tho it was a loss. If we would have been beat 60-6 most would be bashing the team, same ole Raiders; just cashing the check...

Why do you say they played us 75%? I hate that assumption and it is very rarely true. Like when UCF beat Auburn people said it was because Auburn did not want to be there. Total BS. Michigan gave 100% and just did not play their best game and we played pretty good.

Trying to assign a percentage to the effort being displayed on the field is silly, but referring back to that Auburn vs UCF game, you will never convince me that Auburn wanted that game as badly as UCF did.

It was a consolation game for Auburn and a chance at perceived validation for all their "we belong" talk at UCF.

Does that mean that Auburn "didn't want to be there" or that they played at X% of normal? No I don't think so, but the game meant more to UCF by an order of magnitude.

Extrapolate that however you want when discussing our opener as ~5 touchdown dogs going for one of the biggest wins in program history vs Michigan having another G5 opener collecting a paycheck.

I mean the thing is...Michigan didn't play their best.

We didn't play our best either.

If we lose by 20 or 35 does it really matter?

Heck yeah it does, there's a big difference especially when you're talking about a team that is as highly ranked as Michigan is. Hell, Louisville lost by 18 at home to Notre Dame so I feel pretty good about our boys by losing by just +1 point more to Michigan at the big house. Sure everyone on the board wants the W but realistically overcoming the hurdles are low probability considering resources (recruiting, facilities, QA coaches, etc. etc.). There are few undefeated teams in FBS at the conclusion of football season but at the moment I'm optimistic about our chances at Duke (and maybe Iowa) based on our UM performance.

Keep in mind that our Defense had no offensive game film to lean on and D was playing by the seat of their pants...meanwhile UM had all the game film they needed on Tony Franklin and maybe even his DVD set to prepare of our game. We played well even in a losing effort.

We weren't close to actually competing with them.

We led for ~25% of the game, we were competing.

Trying to assign a percentage to the effort being displayed on the field is silly, but referring back to that Auburn vs UCF game, you will never convince me that Auburn wanted that game as badly as UCF did.

It was a consolation game for Auburn and a chance at perceived validation for all their "we belong" talk at UCF.

Does that mean that Auburn "didn't want to be there" or that they played at X% of normal? No I don't think so, but the game meant more to UCF by an order of magnitude.

Extrapolate that however you want when discussing our opener as ~5 touchdown dogs going for one of the biggest wins in program history vs Michigan having another G5 opener collecting a paycheck.
A lot of times when teams are fairly equal on the field it is the one who wants it more that wins. UCF did have more to gain from the win and I do not think anyone would argue that. I just think Auburn had the motivation to squash any talk of a G5 team deserving to be in the playoff. It would have benefited Auburn and all other P5 teams that compete for one of 4 spots to keep the G5 out of it. Not saying that was or should have been on the minds of the players or coaches. Their job is to beat the team put in front of them and every team should try their best to do that every single game or they need to go home.

You'll never convince me that Michigan players only gave 75% effort. However, if you're saying that they only used 75% (or less) of the playbook, I can believe that. Top teams typically try to delay putting things on a scouting tape for as long as possible.

The fact that Michigan wasn't willing to release a 1 and 2 deep to the public tells me all I need to know. Michigan went into the game wanting to win 100-0 and it just didn't work out that way.

Their staff and team has gotten a lot of criticism from their fan base after their game against us. You think that's what they were aiming for? Treat the game as a scrimmage and get ripped on by the fans?

How about no. They went into that game wanting to kill us 100-0 if they could. Michigan's first game @ home last year was against Western Michigan. They led 35-0 at the half and ended up winning 49-3.

Both Michigan and MT were out there giving it their all well into the 4th Quarter and if you were at the game you could clearly see that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT