ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Kermit to LSU?

RaiderDawg78

All American
Sep 7, 2005
Lots of corn dogs saying they want Kermit now that Jones was fired.

KD has history down there.

Any chance he uses recent success to do more than get a raise? Any chance he could go to Baton Rouge?

It's been a long time since Kermit and Brady caught lightning in a bottle down there. I think Forbes gets a shot if he pulls off a bracketbuster in the Dance. They really smoked UNC-Greensboro last night in the 2nd half.

Age, Ally, and the fact that I think Davis loves where he is, both location and career-wise, along with really wanting to see how far he can take the Blue Raiders will keep Davis in The Boro. But, we all know how $$$s can talk.

They could make an offer that's extremely hard to refuse. I'm not one of those fans that believe he would never leave, nor could I blame him if they opened the bank andlet him have use of a Brinks truck.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I've heard Stansbury's name thrown around. I personally don't think he's a good coach but he is a heck of a recruiter so I think LSU could do a lot better. But it would be fun to see WKU fans cry.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I've heard Stansbury's name thrown around. I personally don't think he's a good coach but he is a heck of a recruiter so I think LSU could do a lot better. But it would be fun to see WKU fans cry.

Man, that would be wild - Stans was ran out of Starkville, would be crazy to see him in Baton Rouge.

I imagine Kermit will get a little bonus money for Coach of the Year, Reg Season Champs, and a Top 25 ranking. On top of that, I sure wish MT could cough up an additional few hundred thousand a year for Kermit. He deserves it! The way he talks is that he loves the Murfreesboro community. Heck, he's been here long enough to call M'boro home. A good little chunk added to his pay might factor heavily even if big $$ came calling.

Admittedly, there are a handful of programs out there that can offer millions that MT just can't compete as far as the huge amount of bucks. That said, a reasonably good amount of pay that amounts to good comfort and future retirement might just go a long way when combined with a good community, quality of life, and a family that considers the boro home.

At this point, Kermit has established himself and MT to point that he can retire after how many ever years he wants to continue to coach. If Kermit tries to go for the big bucks, all that pressure of Top 10 and Final Four finishes would be quickly expected or be fired. If Kermit were 34 years old, I'd say he'd be gone after this season. With him being older and wiser, I suspect the equation is quite different in regards to considering other jobs.

Lastly, Kermit is breaking new ground at MT that he can compete for tremendous success on a national level here. It's not a matter of the program topping out at a conference championship like quite a few mid and low major conferences.

All I can say is that as a fan and BRAA member i am so proud of my school and athletic teams. I've had so many people yesterday say congrats on the programs success. I will do my part and up my contributions. I hope most fans think the same way.

As for being a dedicated Blue Raider fan and generally college sports fan, I can't hardly say it enough just proud I am of Kermit and the team. Desperately cheering and hoping for even a slight modicum of success for two decades, the last 5 years have been like a dream come true for a Blue Raider fan.

After so many years of below average to average performing teams, I know I got to the point to where was just hoping for a conf championship and a NCAA Tourney appearance. The year after year of poor performances had me settling for those somewhat limited goals despite my overall belief that as a rapidly growing large university, MT could even achieve so much more. Well, these last five years Kermit and the team has demonstrated that MT is capable to achieving so much more.

A few of the impressive highlights:

Two C-USA POY awards; Jones & Williams
Multiple Coach of the Year Awards for Kermit
Victory in NCAA Tournament
Victory (same victory in tourney vs 2 seed) vs #2 ranked team in the nation
Outright Reg Season Conf Championships
Top 25 National Ranking

That is a lot to be glad for and sure has been a whole lot of fun!

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
LSU is not offering Kermit. Ain't gonna happen.

Now, he might hit up CM and SM for an eight-year contract. We all know that can happen.

That would only require a one year extension on the eight year contract he signed last summer.

If he does get some feelers I hope he can parlay it into some firm commitments on capital improvements to Murphy Center (track level renovation) and more $$$ for the staff and budget to keep things rolling here.

Last edited:
With so many years left on his deal I wonder if we could get a descent payday from the school that hired him.

LSU doesn't give a rats azz about basketball. Kermit knows that. True he could become an instant millionaire but he knows he can make a great living here and take MT much further than LSU. I would be surprised if he is offered.
The SEC is about FB. When talking SEC BB, there's Kentucky.........Florida............the rest.

From what I can tell Kermit is a loyal guy. The issue with LSU is not what they will offer him salary wise, but what payday they will offer his staff to come with him. That makes me nervous!

LSU doesn't give a rats azz about basketball. Kermit knows that. True he could become an instant millionaire but he knows he can make a great living here and take MT much further than LSU. I would be surprised if he is offered.
The SEC is about FB. When talking SEC BB, there's Kentucky.........Florida............the rest.

Kermit would leave for Miss St. Couldn't blame him for wanting to go home. I guess what we can offer over LSU is job security. This program is HIS. If he goes to LSU and goes .500 for three seasons, he is out of a job.

Regardless, even if he leaves, will always be grateful for where he has taken this program.

That would only require a one year extension on the eight year contract he signed last summer.

If he does get some feelers I hope he can parlay it into some firm commitments on capital improvements to Murphy Center (track level renovation) and more $$$ for the staff and budget to keep things rolling here.
What can be done on the track level without construction of a multi-purpose indoor facility? I don't see MT dropping indoor track

What can be done on the track level without construction of a multi-purpose indoor facility? I don't see MT dropping indoor track
We wouldn't have to drop Indoor Track. We would just not be able to host indoor meets. It would also suck for the sprinters when it gets cold.

That's what's a little disappointing, for years, the talk was an IPF was the next thing on the agenda, then there was talk about an IPF without addressing indoor track, and then the switcharoo a couple of years talking about a football facility (lockerroom, meeting rooms, coaches offices, etc. etc, etc,...) At this point, basketball has had more success for five years or more, consistent, fairly high level success... and is left sucking the hind teat...

It would be a smart hire for LSU to get Kermit, but smart is not a word I would use for their athletic department in recent years.

That's what's a little disappointing, for years, the talk was an IPF was the next thing on the agenda, then there was talk about an IPF without addressing indoor track, and then the switcharoo a couple of years talking about a football facility (lockerroom, meeting rooms, coaches offices, etc. etc, etc,...) At this point, basketball has had more success for five years or more, consistent, fairly high level success... and is left sucking the hind teat...

With all of Kermit's success, he definitely deserves some more cash and resources for facilities and staff. Kermit should be top priority in my opinion. He's earned it!

Reactions: C-Bow
I'm sure I'm strongly biased in my thinking that Kermit in all likelihood will be remaining a Blue Raider. Despite my bias, he and his family seem to be at home in Murfreesboro which counts for a lot. Another reason, his stage in life. If Kermit was younger, say in his 30s, I would expect that he would be gone at the first call from a P5 program. After 15 years of making MTSU and Murfreesboro home, he has gone through the growing pains of developing the program into a continuing successful program with potential for even further growth and and success. As Kermit has started to promote, he rightly sees the program starting to break through into being a nationally recognized program. How did he put it the other day? MT is about at the point of being a Gonzaga or Butler of 10 years ago. Growing the program into tons of success is tremendously challenging, but it has to be incredibly rewarding in building that success.

As most would likely agree, there is the variable of one of a handful of top programs possibly offering millions upon millions of dollars to coach one of those limited handful of national basketball powerhouses. If that situation were to come along, that would likely be a situation to where all bets are off. Most people would jump at that.

With all of that said, VCU and Shaka Smart comes to mind. The one difference, Shaka Smart seems quite a bit younger, a different stage of life than Kermit. Smart turned down a pretty big offer while at VCU from Illinois or some Big 10 school I think it was. People were impressed and excited that he turned down big bucks and a P5 program to stay with the upstart VCU program where he was having tons of success. That lasted a few more years, Then one of those small handful of schools came along and made an offer that very few other programs in the nation could match. Shaka Smart promptly took that Texas job. Here it is a couple of years later, and the Shaka Smart led Longhorns just finished dead last in the Big 12 with twice as many losses as wins in his overall record on the season. Don't you know that there is a lot of pressure with all that money at that job!

My point in all of this is that Kermit has finally built the MT program into something to where he has a good thing going. He's put in the work and years of growing pains to put in his system and develop his winning culture. At what point does that factor as something significant that would be hard to walk away from. Especially when the chances are one of these top dollar powerhouse P5 programs will likely expect a new coach to institute that system and culture of success in a few short years before the knives come out to get rid of that head coach quickly. I guess I'm saying at a certain point in life when you have a lot of good things going, how much money is it really worth to start over again especially in a pressure cooker? Very few people would knock a head coach for jumping at a chance for that kind of money, no doubt. Short of astronomical contract dollars at a dream program, some coaches who have been around long enough might stay for the less money but overall quality circumstances. Additionally, it is likely that the current AD will fork out increasing amounts of pay as the the program reaps the benefits of continued and new levels of success.

In summary, I'm not all that concerned about Kermit jumping ship unless one of a few dream type jobs with many millions of cash come along offering. The amount of those type of programs would depend on what Kermit would consider a "dream job." Apparently, he has roots at Miss St. Just saying that as a type of example. Maybe a dream job would be one of the programs such as Kentucky, UCLA, Oklahoma, you know, those type of programs. Other than some huge offer like that, I'm not all that concerned about Kermit up and leaving for just any ole P5 program that might offer a fairly substantial pay raise. At his stage of life and being a family man, I suspect money is a part of the equation but is not the equation.

I think "if" we can, we should give him a reasonable raise and we have upgraded our facilities over the last few years - Murphy Center is a great place to watch a game....but not a big gigantic contract. We stuck with CKD through the hard times and hopefully he realizes it, but we have limitations...my hope is he coaches another 7-8 years at MT, but if he wants to take one more swing at a bigger program I would like him to take the opportunity and would wish him all the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT