ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL James

Don't think he will get drafted after only playing half the year. If he had played the whole year and had a year similar to 2016, I think he does.

I wish him the best of luck.

Reactions: Hop45
I really like Richie. But this is a mistake. I hope I'm wrong. But I see this ending as another talented MT player who just couldn't play one more year and because of that, goes undrafted or near the bottom rounds, and never gets a fair shot.

Richie is mega talented, so he may be able to over come that, and the scouts MAY over look this season and give him credit for his wonderful Freshman and Sophomore years, but it's gonna be tough.

Regardless, best wishes to him. But staying another year would have greatly benefited him and allowed him to be a much, MUCH higher draft pick (which is very important these days). If he gets picked in the 5th or 6th round and earns a roster spot and contract with a team, it'll be peanuts compared to a 2nd or 3rd round draft selection + contract. And he'll be stuck with said contract for at least 3-4 years.

Clearly, someone is whispering in his ear that he can go 3rd round or better, because that's the only way this makes sense. But I have a real hard time envisioning a 3rd round pick or better after the lack of productivity this season.

So weird. He told me he was back. Oh well. I wish him all the luck.

He better heal up quick for pro day. If he is drafted, I see him no higher than 5th round right now. He played 3.5 games this season. Stock isn't high. If he'd stayed, he could have left on top possibly jumped 2-3 rounds

Last edited:
With Richie leaving, I find it much more likely Brent is done as well. Which, again, is weird. Because I remember hearing that he was going to a Dick's sporting good's store with another player to get some things to "Train for next season" the day they thought they weren't getting a bowl game.

Did 1 bowl win really satisfy his desires? No championships? Quitting with a year of eligibility left and no CUSA titles doesn't really fit Brent's narrative IMO. I find the talk of him leaving early a little bizarre to be quite honest.

They're grown men and obviously free to do whatever they want, but it's not a great look for them both to leave as the best QB/WR in the history of our school and not have any championships (when they could have stayed to try and win another).

Brent better think long and hard about this. Because once you're done, you're done. That eligibility is toast, and he will spend the rest of his life wondering "what if" because he left and could have still played another year.

I like and appreciate what Brent has done, but do we really think he is a top talent in the conference? In the bowl game there were times he was way off, which seems to summarize his career. Definitely some highs, but other times your like - wow he is way off. Honestly I think we could do better. Maybe he's best on the roster, but I don't think of him as a top talent in the league. Of course his WR's don't help him much either.

Hansen for Ark St. seemed to be a much better player to me.

Shifflet, Nolan, or Turner might be better down the road, but for 2018, Brent gives us the best chance to win.

Another thing that I'm wondering, coaches are allowed to hire a 10th assistant starting next year. Is Brent wanting to call it quits and be that 10th assistant to start coaching and collecting a check? It does have to be hard to be 26 and not have steady income, however; I'm sure his father takes care of him well.

Was talking with a scout today who had Richie pegged as a 3rd to 4th round selection. Never know. I imagine somebody has been in his ear telling him the same. Don't know what his family situation is like either.

Certainly wish him all the best.

I can't imagine an NFL team drafting a guy who missed most of the year with an injury, from a G5 school, who had a down junior year compared to the year before.

He better hope for a combine invitation.

Another thing that I'm wondering, coaches are allowed to hire a 10th assistant starting next year. Is Brent wanting to call it quits and be that 10th assistant to start coaching and collecting a check? It does have to be hard to be 26 and not have steady income, however; I'm sure his father takes care of him well.

Brent is only 23 I believe. Class of 2013 but your point is still valid.

I myself don't think he has ever gotten back to 100% after the first injury. Then had surgery and then the sternum injury. Just speculating of course but to me, he just may never get full to 100% again and doesn't want to chance it. Especially with the O-line we currently have.

FWIW I'm hearing Brent has no intention of hanging em up. According to a source it would be a complete and utter shock..

Rick Insell wasn't allowed to hire his son as an assistant years ago. I doubt that is a possibility if this thing about Brent is any thing more than speculation.

FWIW I'm hearing Brent has no intention of hanging em up. According to a source it would be a complete and utter shock..

I'm inclined to believe your source. Like I said, I found it bizarre that he would not want to play his senior year. He's come a long way, holds all the meaningful records here, and has a good chance to compete for a championship in 2018. How could he walk away?

I could see this going either way with Brent. He is a competitor. He is also very smart and maybe his body is telling him to hang it up. He didnt look good to me last night. Hopefully he can heal up and give it one more go for his last year

If he's not 100% and doesn't think he can get back to 100%, then you might be right. But we really don't have anyone else on the roster worth a damn at the moment that I'm aware of. Whatever happened to John Turner?

I'm fairly certain Brent was playing in the bowl game still pretty banged up, not fully healed up. Pretty good performance for not being 100%.

Those rumors of Brent leaving for NFL this season really seemed like quite a stretch. Heck, I'm still wondering if the James announcement is fake news.

In my opinion, James certainly has the ability to play on Sundays. Sitting out much of this season would really seem to hurt his draft potential. I just assumed he would be returning for his final year. At the start of the season, I figured he might leave early if he had another big season this year.

While I imagine Brent playing to have a big final year, his injuries and health does pose some concerns.

I don't see why Brent would quit with one year with a pretty good team coming back, playing for his Pops.

He may not have been 100%, but frankly, his health didn't contribute to the up and down play. One pick was a guy wrestling a ball away from our dude, and another is a "Don't throw that ball across your body" mental mistake.

I don't see his injuries as anything that's chronic or lingering. He'll be fine next year, and if we can improve OL play, I don't see why he can't have an All-conference senior year.

One of those picks was not a pick at all. Tucker's knee was down before the ball was ever out. Total B.S. call. One of many.

I am sad Richie isn't coming back but we won a bowl game without him and lost 2 with him. I would love another Richie to come to MT but if Salter, Marshall and Windham can improve just a tad more, we'll be loaded at WR. Windham has all of the tools and Jimmy has the height. Lee needs to move into the slot on the inside and we'll be fine there.

Last edited:
I am surprised Richie is going pro. I think a full (healthy) senior season propels him up draft boards for sure. Now, he could be worried about getting a serious injury his senior season and then...boom, that dream is over so I get that part. Bummer, would have liked to see him out there.

Surprised no one has mentioned Richie's size as a deterrent to getting to the next level. Along with the short season this year, is his size a concern to anyone more in the know than I am?

I hate that he's leaving; I was looking forward to watching him play another season for us, but I wish him luck. Players almost always go 2-3 rounds lower than they are told. If he's been told the 4th round, then he will may go in the 7th. Probably UDFA though.

I think James is afraid he will get hurt. The second injury against Marshall probably got him to a point that he doesn't want to miss his chance. There is no way he is a 3rd round pick. Now, I think he is a NFL caliber player. But no GM is going to spend a 3rd round pick on a small guy from a mid major that was hurt last year.

I think James is afraid he will get hurt. The second injury against Marshall probably got him to a point that he doesn't want to miss his chance. There is no way he is a 3rd round pick. Now, I think he is a NFL caliber player. But no GM is going to spend a 3rd round pick on a small guy from a mid major that was hurt last year.

I don't buy the whole injury thing. You can't live in fear of getting injured. Injuries can happen in the NFL too and if you are a low tier-prospect and you get injured, you are 100% done. Look no further than Kerry Wright who was having a great camp with the Colts, injured his hamstring, got cut, and was never heard from again. I have no doubt in my mind Kerry would have played many years in the league, but because he was an UDFA and got injured, he was cut and that's a wrap. Richie's situation will be no different if he gets injured. At least if he's injured playing college ball he can rehab and make a comeback.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT