ADVERTISEMENT

James Madison

Meanwhile, in Murfreesboro Rick Stockstill is the star in...

shit_show_news_1008x.jpg

I remember being angry. Now, not even being bothered enough to remember when the next game is. Not sad enough as losing a life of someone close but tragically sad nonetheless.

Previously, I displayed here all the programs that moved up after us but yet somehow still (magically it must be) managed to win conference championships. Today, I bring you schools that moved up after us and have been ranked in the top 25 polls.

Appalachian St
Buffalo*
Coastal Carolina
James Madison
Liberty
Troy
Western Kentucky
UConn
UCF
USF
Utah St
UTSA

*same year

I would be curious to do a deep dive comparison on UCF to MT. I would think we might have a lot in common. Obviously not results, but the structure of our universities. UCF has a large student enrollment, but is heavy on the commuter aspect. Access to a major city. Not regarded as the top program in the area, but has carved out success and steady improvement. Now marginally respectable on a National level.

Could MT have enjoyed the same success over a 20 year path if they had better leadership? I still contend that MT has tremendous potential, but I’m thinking it has passed us by at this point. But just imagine what could have been at this point.

I would be curious to do a deep dive comparison on UCF to MT. I would think we might have a lot in common. Obviously not results, but the structure of our universities. UCF has a large student enrollment, but is heavy on the commuter aspect. Access to a major city. Not regarded as the top program in the area, but has carved out success and steady improvement. Now marginally respectable on a National level.

Could MT have enjoyed the same success over a 20 year path if they had better leadership? I still contend that MT has tremendous potential, but I’m thinking it has passed us by at this point. But just imagine what could have been at this point.
I understand the comparison but UCF as an institution is light years ahead of us. They are ranked much higher than us in academics. They have medical and dental schools. Their enrollment is almost 3 times ours. They have over 12k students living on campus vs ours just under 4k. It’s not fair to compare them to us. They are clearly better.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I understand the comparison but UCF as an institution is light years ahead of us. They are ranked much higher than us in academics. They have medical and dental schools. Their enrollment is almost 3 times ours. They have over 12k students living on campus vs ours just under 4k. It’s not fair to compare them to us. They are clearly better.

I think that was his point. You’re comparing UCF 2023 to us 2023.

If you go back 20 years ago, there was no medical school (which opened in 2006) or dental school (just a couple of years ago). And they were either Division II or III for their first ten years of their short existence (some 70 years after we played our first game). They moved up to I-A roughly around the same time we did. And they’re in a smaller metro market.

Yet, they have still beat our asses in every facet. Mmh, wonder how that could be. That’s rhetorical if not obvious.

What else did they do other than win six conference titles in this 20 year span (and stake a claim to a national title)? Oh yeah they also changed their name. From Florida Technological University.

Some institutions actually want to thrive and succeed.

But the biggest and most important decision they made happened exactly 20 years ago when they fired a .500ish coach who started 3-7 in ‘03. And then went out and hired a big name winner.

Only took them less than six seasons to say we aren’t going to settle for average. Meanwhile back in the Boro…

Yes, exactly my point. We could have done the same in a 20 year timeframe, but instead we have been stuck in neutral. I think we have to look at other programs and ask what they did to make it work. What were the moves that brought them success over a 20 year run? UCF is a great model to study. Our admin has no vision or strategy. They just quickly throw out excuses and accept mediocrity.

20 years ago we could have looked back at Boise State or Louisville to mirror what they had done. I‘m sure we tried, but probably never adjusted when we needed a different strategy. A program like UCF, made it work in that same 20 year timeframe we were in and athletically AND academic have succeeded. We have not. That is all on leadership.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
The parallels are pretty significant with that six year run to Stockstill's first six years.

In fact, the guy at UCF was actually better.

Stockstill after six years was 35-40 and his sixth year was the 2-10 season.

Kruczek was 36-30 and wasn't even allowed to finish the sixth season after starting the year 3-7.

Since those two moments in time, UCF has won 62% (and as mentioned six conference titles) while going to increasingly difficult leagues. On the other hand, Rick has won 52% and zero titles in increasingly weaker or even leagues.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
UCF is a great comparable mark. 100%. But I've said before, and until change is made will continue. I'd be happy with just the results Troy and WKU have had.

Since 2015, both had coaches that were hired away. Then both fired the replacement after 3 losing seasons for Troy and only 2 for WKU. Then the 3rd coach for each is still there and both have at least .600 winning percentage (current coaches and overall), both have division titles, with Troy having a conference champ.

I've posted this before but this is the latest comparison. The ineptude of our admin to think this is acceptable just pisses me off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT