ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Let's talk some ball/starting lineups

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
I recently snagged Lindy's magazine. Here is who they have penciled in as starters...

QB: NIck Vattiato
RB: Frank Peasant
WR DJ England Chisolm
WR: Javonte Sherman
WR Elijah Metcalf
WR Jeremy Tate
LT: Sterling Porcher
LG Ethan Ellis
C Wilson Kelly
RG Keylon Rutledge
RT J'Shun Bodiford

LE: Zaylin Wood
LT Marley Cook
RT Jordan Branch
RE Quandaries Dunnigan
LB Parker Hughes
LB Devyn Curtis
LB Drew Francis
CB Teldrick Ross
CB James Shellman
SS Jakobe Thomas
FS Tra Fluellen

K Zeke Rankin
P Trey Turk

Also, I know the weight of the O linemen is a hot topic.

Porcher: 6'4, 286 pounds
Ellis 6-6, 290
Kelly 6 ft, 290
Rutledge 6'4, 312
Bodiford 6'3, 289

Ellis 6-6, 290
Kelly 6 ft, 290
Rutledge 6'4, 312
Bodiford 6'3, 289
Avg 6'3, 293. Last year avg was 6'3, 296. UTEP led last year at 6'5, 324.

It's not all about size of course. Hands matter. Speed matters. Form matters. Arm length. Girth. But sometimes you just need big guys. Period.

Ellis 6-6, 290
Kelly 6 ft, 290
Rutledge 6'4, 312
Bodiford 6'3, 289

Too small. Probably not talented or athletic enough to make up for it either.

I know i've said it in 100 posts, but when i went to the UTSA vs MT game last fall, it looked like men vs boys. We're simply physically outmatched.

Any chance we see someone else at QB this year? Not for a series, but the week to week starter. We need a fresh look at QB in my opinion.

You'd think after nearly two decades of getting pushed and shoved around and little to no running game, and injuries to QBs always a huge threat and reality at times, they would get a clue and change things, but no....
I honestly thought, blue goggles wrongly obviously, that once Brent became QB coach that the recruiting would change on the OL with him pushing for something different because of the injuries he sustained.

Of course I also thought CRS would get his own son some help on the line after getting hurt the first time.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Lowe or Riles would be candidates...

From what I saw of Vattiato, he looked like just a roster guy to me.

If we want to make some waves, the way to do it is to have a truly high end dynamic threat at QB (no $hit Sherlock comment here).

There's only room for 130 QBs in college football - so it might be easier for us to find that one guy and ride him rather than plug in a game manager at QB and rely on building a high end roster around him. Easier to find 1 good player at QB than 10 good players at every other position.

Let's hope Vattiato is more than he looked, or Riles/Lowe can win the job.

I think we've had capable QBs. We just haven't been able to protect them. It's even more reason why we need a true dual threat. A pocket passer just does not at all work for us until the line issues are corrected.

When you start from shotgun immediately losing yards, and then your QB has lost another 15 running for his life before the receivers have time to even run their route, there's an issue beyond the QB.

Pretty frustrating when you have an fbs team & its offensive coaches take the easy road of recruiting mostly against the OVC, ASUN, or other fcs schools. All they have to do is pick up the phone & make 1 call. Just about every player who has 5 fcs offers will take that 1 fbs offer just about every time. Our coaches are smart enough to know here they can get away with it here. And uncaring & lazy enough to do it. 1 phone call, 1 pick up. "Well my quotas done for the day." On the other hand Shafer's had good enough talent on the defensive end to win here if the same effort in recruiting was matched on the offense.
Why the heck does he put up with it? Surely he could find a coordinator position that pays just as well somewhere else where all the coaches care about winning.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Pretty frustrating when you have an fbs team & its offensive coaches take the easy road of recruiting mostly against the OVC, ASUN, or other fcs schools. All they have to do is pick up the phone & make 1 call. Just about every player who has 5 fcs offers will take that 1 fbs offer just about every time. Our coaches are smart enough to know here they can get away with it here. And uncaring & lazy enough to do it. 1 phone call, 1 pick up. "Well my quotas done for the day." On the other hand Shafer's had good enough talent on the defensive end to win here if the same effort in recruiting was matched on the offense.
Why the heck does he put up with it? Surely he could find a coordinator position that pays just as well somewhere else where all the coaches care about winning.
He has done just about as well as any other DC. He is part of the 6-6 bunch.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
If you take out Nick’s first start where he had all those interceptions his rating is equivalent to Brent’s career mark. Nick will start and if he continues to grow he will will probably leave with the highest rating school history. But his problem as it will be with any of our QBs is no OL to protect him. If he has that he will be successful. If he doesn’t he won’t.

If you take out Nick’s first start where he had all those interceptions his rating is equivalent to Brent’s career mark. Nick will start and if he continues to grow he will will probably leave with the highest rating school history. But his problem as it will be with any of our QBs is no OL to protect him. If he has that he will be successful. If he doesn’t he won’t.
That’s why it’s enticing to have a scrambler

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I think we've had capable QBs. We just haven't been able to protect them. It's even more reason why we need a true dual threat. A pocket passer just does not at all work for us until the line issues are corrected.

When you start from shotgun immediately losing yards, and then your QB has lost another 15 running for his life before the receivers have time to even run their route, there's an issue beyond the QB.
OL issues have been an issue for 8+ years. Maybe more.

It doens’t just affect the QB. It affects RB / running game. Finding a consistent rushing attack has rendered the MT offense one-dimensional too many times.

And nothing will change offensively until they figure it out.

FWIW, I don’t think it matters if it’s shotgun or not. The depth of “shotgun” is no different than a 7 step in the old / traditional pro-style systems. And starting in shotgun makes the quick game / 3 step game significantly easier.

The problem with shotgun, as you pointed out, is the QB have run for their life far too many times and lost yardage. This puts a mediocre offense with a mediocre-to-bad OL behind the chaIns. And, as any Titan fan who endured the last two seasons of Todd Downing, that’s not a great.

Sadly, that 14,000 avg. is probably more like 7,000 actual butts in seats after the first few ballgames of the season and we’re mathematically eliminated from any chance at a conference title.

But we play for bowl eligibility. 🤬🤬
Unfortunately for all of us, that is the bar that McPhee & Massaro set. I haven't seen any indication that Stockstill has higher expectations. Continuous .500 and we have the same staff.

I'm 51 and I have yet to see anything that makes me think I will see an outright championship in my lifetime.

Reactions: Hop45 and MTTim
Unfortunately for all of us, that is the bar that McPhee & Massaro set. I haven't seen any indication that Stockstill has higher expectations. Continuous .500 and we have the same staff.

I'm 51 and I have yet to see anything that makes me think I will see an outright championship in my lifetime.
Wasn’t MT almost a gaffe defensively from having a shot of winning the Conference a handful of years ago?

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Pretty obvious we're not expecting much from the O-line this year. To move things on what's the thoughts on the D-line. Ferguson was a great presence last year, but has moved on now. Will we be able to overcome his loss to an extent? By the way any word on how he made it so far at Seattle's camp?
If we're expecting the same from the Defense as we are the Offense would a 6-6 season be pushing this teams limits?

Wasn’t MT almost a gaffe defensively from having a shot of winning the Conference a handful of years ago?
Part of me wants to say we backed in to that game. I've always said an 8-4 team has no business being a conference champ. We beat two teams that finished with a winning record, UAB in the finale and Marshall in Huntington. (I was at that game, super fun).

But three of those four losses were to SEC teams. We lost for a combined 37-118, including a season opening 7-35 drubbing by Vandy. Other loss was the awful FIU game on a last min int from O'Hara after Brent got hurt. We whooped UAB then had the wonderful 12 men on the field for loss 5 and the champ. Then got throttled by App St in the bowl.

But at the same time, if we had beaten UAB and won the champ, possibility we could've played MAC champs NIU like UAB did. If we win that, it's a 10-4 season. None of us would fuss over that. So I have mixed feelings on being 7-5 or 8-4 for a champ game once you think about it.

Just another reason we have zero business playing 2-3 SEC or power teams in one season. The average fan doesn't realize our losses are to them. They just see the loss total.

Pretty obvious we're not expecting much from the O-line this year. To move things on what's the thoughts on the D-line. Ferguson was a great presence last year, but has moved on now. Will we be able to overcome his loss to an extent? By the way any word on how he made it so far at Seattle's camp?
If we're expecting the same from the Defense as we are the Offense would a 6-6 season be pushing this teams limits?

Marley Cook, DT Jr. and Zaylin Wood, DE Jr. should anchor a strong D-Line this year. I don’t think that will be our issue this season.

Carla & Crappy Show? This is really strange, but pretty nice of CRS to help these folks out. Their podcasts or YouTube shows average about 10-15 views out of 11 or 12 broadcasts I see. Nice thing for Stock's show is at this time his broadcast has 42 viewings. So Rick has blown away the competition thus far. Go Raiders!

• Haha
I recently snagged Lindy's magazine. Here is who they have penciled in as starters...

WR DJ England Chisolm
WR Elijah Metcalf
WR Jeremy Tate
LG Ethan Ellis
C Wilson Kelly
RG Keylon Rutledge
RT J'Shun Bodiford

LT Marley Cook
RT Jordan Branch
RE Quandaries Dunnigan
LB Parker Hughes
LB Devyn Curtis
LB Drew Francis
CB Teldrick Ross
CB James Shellman
SS Jakobe Thomas
FS Tra Fluellen

K Zeke Rankin
P Trey Turk

WR DJ England Chisolm
WR Elijah Metcalf
WR Jeremy Tate
LG Ethan Ellis
C Wilson Kelly
RG Keylon Rutledge
RT J'Shun Bodiford

LT Marley Cook
RT Jordan Branch
RE Quandaries Dunnigan
LB Parker Hughes
LB Devyn Curtis
LB Drew Francis
CB Teldrick Ross
CB James Shellman
SS Jakobe Thomas
FS Tra Fluellen

K Zeke Rankin
P Trey Turk
Check out Phil Steele’s 2023 Football Preview-Middle Tennessee….a few differences

Anything less than playing for the Conference USA title, though, will be a disappointment."
What are they talking about, "disappointment"???? Anyone this side of totally deranged/bat-sh*t crazy doesn't have any expectation of a conference title. Not from this coach, not from this program. We 'compete' we do not play for Championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT