ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL It sure is hard to picture next season withou Reggie....

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
I am just having a hard time replacing that steady eddie force in the middle and on the outside. Who will that guy be. I have confidence Walters can replace Williams but Upshaw? I don't see it yet. Gamble needs to have a great offseason because we really need him. Looks like Giddy, Dixon, Simpson, Walters, and ? Help me feel better here guys?

Reactions: BlueRaider95
As is, nobody on this roster is replacing Upshaw. He was a 4 who was a threat to score from anywhere on the floor, including from deep. You just don't find talented athletic players like that very often. In fact, in the 15 years I've watched MT MBB I don't think we've ever had anyone else like him. I remember Dendy having inside game as good as Upshaw's but I don't recall Dendy being much of a 3 point threat.

Bottom line is, Upshaw won't be replaced. Our guards are going to have to pick up a huge load in terms of scoring next season with the departure of Williams & Upshaw. I don't see anyone coming close to replacing either of their PPG. Honestly, Kermit should consider running Tae Tae at the point so we have 2 guards who can score. Dixon just isn't a consistent scorer and we are going to need more points from the guard position next year.

It'll have to be from a group of guys. Davion Thomas is supposed to be the real deal but he's only going to be a redshirt freshman. I don't have much faith in Gamble. He may be riding the bench for his entire career. I also think we have some newcomers that could contribute immediately. Massenburg, Szmidt, and Simmons.

I had the same feeling when Shawn Jones graduated but this program now has depth that is filled with good basketball players. I think we'll have another season like this sooner rather than later.

It's hard to replace a guy who in my opinion should have his jersey hanging from the rafters in a few years. Then throw in the loss of the C-USA Player of The Year. It will certainly be challenging rebuilding the frontcourt. Fortunately, Brandon Walters really demonstrated down the stretch of the season that he is a force to be reckoned with in the front court.

Losing such key players, it would be hard imagining MT repeating the level of this years success i.e. 30+ wins. Nevertheless, Kermit has been establishing this system for a good number of years now. He has good depth and quality incoming players. This year, as in most, should be interesting to see how Kermit develops the new team and how they perform next season. So is life for the best of them.

Obviously we will have a 3 guard two forward line up. Hopefully next season will match the season of two years ago when we started out slow and finished strong.

Obviously we will have a 3 guard two forward line up. Hopefully next season will match the season of two years ago when we started out slow and finished strong.

It's always about guard play. As good as Upshaw and Williams are, it was guard play holding us back. I really think we need to take a serious look at starting Johnson, he can create his own shot, he can drive and isn't afraid. I think he is one of those guys that gets better the more he plays.

I'm thinking Johnson will start in place of Simpson next season and since Kermit has the program ascending at a steady pace I fully expect incoming players to be as good or better than the guys who have graduated.

It's always about guard play. As good as Upshaw and Williams are, it was guard play holding us back. I really think we need to take a serious look at starting Johnson, he can create his own shot, he can drive and isn't afraid. I think he is one of those guys that gets better the more he plays.
You are correct. It was lack of guard play that cost us the Butler game. Johnson should be our go to guard next year. I'm a little weary of a 3 guard lineup as that usually means we are playing small.

The Butler game was Johnson's coming out party. He is ready and able to be a threat next year. Giddy will come back next year with something to prove after his dismal performance in that same game.

I think a real problem for us is the lack of height in the backcourt. I've often contended that you can't be a really good club if you play more than one "short" guard at a time. Several years ago a "short" guard was under 6'. Today it appears that 6' 2" and under is short on most high-profile teams.

I think it can be argued that the team was at it's best last year when Habersham at 6'6" was playing well at the 3. If we start any 3 guard combination of Potts (6'2"), Simpson (6'2"), Dixon (6'1"), Johnson (6'2"), Copeland (6'1") or Sims (6'2") [all generously listed IMHO] we'll be very short on the perimeter. Hope is that JUCO Simmons (listed at 6'3") or the 6'5" Shelton-Szmidt can give us immediate help at the 2 or 3.

You are correct. It was lack of guard play that cost us the Butler game. Johnson should be our go to guard next year. I'm a little weary of a 3 guard lineup as that usually means we are playing small.

I will say this, Dixon needs to take his game to another level or he doesn't start...you could have Giddy or Johnson the point. We need guys with large upside

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I will say this, Dixon needs to take his game to another level or he doesn't start...you could have Giddy or Johnson the point. We need guys with large upside
??

I thought Dixon played very well this year. Remember he was only a freshman.

??

I thought Dixon played very well this year. Remember he was only a freshman.

He did not finish well...and the make up of the team will be different next year. Don't assume we will play the same style next year . no job should be safe.

Were it not for Dixon we probably lose a couple more games. He had some big shots in critical situations this year. But I agree he has to re-earn his spot as every other player does.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Not sure if we will be as 'complete' as this squad was in a while. Who knows but Upshaw will really be missed. As a parent, I also took a lot of p's and q's from his parents during games. They were always so calm and collected during his play. Made me want to emulate that on jr. high athletic gamedays. His parents are 'class' all the way around. They will be missed.

CUSA is our biggest problem in basketball right now....oh and the wood bleachers that circle the arena.

Reactions: MTTim
He was a true freshman, and I think he battled the flu the last couple of weeks of the season, and he might have hit a wall there at the end.

At the start of the C-USA tourney, they said Dixon had a stomach virus. Was throwing his guts up before, during, and after game. Played anyways. I think he did an incredible job especially for a freshman. It's easy to see how his shots were "off" since he had a stomach bug.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT