ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Oversigned?

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Now that the three verbal commitments are in it appears; based on information reported; that barring defections, transfers, academics or disciplinary issues we have 15 scholarship players for next year and offers are still out for several prospects including some who would be huge gets for MT.

Davis has intimated that these problems work themselves out and they have up to this point with little to no apparent repercussions. It is hard for me to believe such "problems'" don't hurt the reputation among those for whom we would hope to have a positive image (media, H. S. and JUCO coaches, etc). Last year three players were dismissed just before the academic year started and two (Copeland and Foote) were brought in at the last minute. Other situations have occurred previously (usually transfers out to a JUCO or NAIA school - in one case a parent paid tuition freeing a scholarship) which enabled the school year to start with the 13 limit on scholarship.

'16-'17 Seniors: Phillips, Upshaw, Habersham, Foote, and Williams (Tr.)
'16-'17 Juniors: Ivory, Copeland, Davis, Simpson, Potts, Walters (Jr - ? If he gets a scholarship)
'16-'17 Sophomores: Johnson, Gamble
'16-17 Freshmen: Dixon, Thomas (as an aside I'm very glad to see these two freshmen on board)

Any way you cut it that's 15 - We are oversigned and there is not one of these players who I don't want to see on the MT hardwood next year along with, hopefully, a couple of the highly-touted prospects we are allegedly still "in on" and would have to find space for. Which players would you want to "cut"?

Realistically Ivory's career may be over; Simpson's injury could keep him off the floor next year although if he Red-shirts I believe he will still be on scholarship, If Phillips makes the FB team he would have to be put on a FB scholarship IIRC, Walters may not qualify academically although last reports were encouraging. and either Phillips or Upshaw (the only two in-staters) may have parents pay tuition and free up a scholarship. I don't want any of the players eliminated from the squad regardless of reason but it's obvious that something must be done before next year.

This long-time Blue Raider BkB fan hates waiting to see how this plays out - It seems to be an issue each Spring and Summer for the last few years.

As much as I want Ivory back that seems like it's a danger to him and a liability to the school.

I thought there was a rule if a player plays football, i.e. Phillips, that they have to be on a fb scholly. Am I wrong?

I feel bad for Ivory

At least he gets to stay with the team, a student assistant, I guess, and get his degree. I was watching video of his drive to tie the game late with ODU at home last year. I really liked what he brought as a PG and hate that he want be able to fulfill his potential on the court.

Reactions: TeKEraider
Space: Old Timers problem on Copeland - Remembered there were two signed late - completely forgot that the 2nd was Williams; and TeKEraider: Yes, IIRC that's known as the Bear Bryant rule - I believe that once the NCAA put a limit on FB scholarships he started signing players to track, BkB, or whatever scholarships as a way around the rule. No rule against FB players playing other sports but you must be counted as a FB scholarship if you play FB - all this IIRC.

As for Ivory: I really hate if for the young man - He seems to be a great kid - has been receptive to Davis' coaching (something some can't do), and was just beginning to show the ability to lead the team on the floor and play within himself - He could have been a really solid point guard for the next two years. At least NCAA rules allow him to stay on scholarship and not count against the limit.

As for the team: Let's all hope one (or more) of the four candidates for PG next year can really step up.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Brandon Walter is/will be on the team? Last I heard he was on campus and good to go.

However, there was a picture posted on twitter yesterday of the team with Bernard King but I didn't see any new faces in the picture.

I gotta be honest. I am curious about Walter too. HUGE guy inside would be something we haven't had in the Davis era. Closest thing would have been Hudson who was so riddled with injuries and could not keep up with the pace of the game. Someone see what they can find out.

Just for discussion's sake, wasn't Foote the player that was added really late last year? IIRC, Copeland wasn't added real early either.

It would appear that Kermit is making great effort to see to it that there is no lack of PG talent for the upcoming season. Rightly so. It must have been eating at Kermit for much of the season to end up in a position of struggling just to find a starting PG.

Remember we have had a true lack of direction at point guard since Bruce Massey. I think Tweety was just a glorified band aid until we found someone that could really anchor us. I am still unconvinced we have the right person in that role.

Remember we have had a true lack of direction at point guard since Bruce Massey. I think Tweety was just a glorified band aid until we found someone that could really anchor us. I am still unconvinced we have the right person in that role.

Tweety was the perfect backup point guard, and certainly not a bad starting point guard, but I see your point. I hope that Copeland can make another step in his development at that position. He can at least become a very good number 2 option at PG. I do hope that we can find a consistent upgrade as the starting PG over what we had this year for sure.

Yea, my impression was that Tweety did a decent job of ball/game management and more importantly to Kermit, he played good defense. Tweety did not strike me as a regular high scoring threat with an attack that other teams feared. Then it was on to rebuilding after he left with the new young guards coming in. Ivory, concussion, little play, you know the rest of that story. The small juco PG who stepped up in the conf tourney the year before last was gone that following offseason. Potts great as a SG. Ed Simpson good as a versatile SG but not so much at PG. Copeland just has lacked the skills and size to compete vs teams at a championship level. Sure his quickness helps with a little change of pace as a back up, but he seemed too small or lacking skills to finish at the rim. He does appear to have some vision and passing skills, but he never seemed to be in sync with the other players on the team. Some of what looked like good passes would be missed by his teammates.

It sure is looking like Kermit is not wanting to take chances with the PG for the upcoming season. A pretty good juco and a seemingly talented with great upside out of HS player both are coming in. I think there is another guard coming in, but I don't know if he is a PG or SG or a little of both. BTW, it seems Kermit likes PG/SG combo type guys if they have the skills. After a long rough stretch of uncertainty at PG, I'm hopeful that Kermit is bringing in some capable and quite possibly tremendously talented PGs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT