ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Bench Play

Aug 19, 2005
Kermit has always done a good job of rotating players in and out and keeping a good flow to the game. If you make a mistake, you're typically coming out of the game for a while. Seems like we've had the same starting 5 lately, which I like, but wanted to post some thoughts on the bench play and see what everyone else thought.

Walters - Making really good progress. Still about a half step too slow (maybe not that much) but he really creates space well and is a force down low. Seemed like tonight (La Tech) he was able to use his body and open up space for easy buckets. Had some really solid rebounds tonight as well.

Simpson - Quietly can be a leader as his 3 I felt was the turning point tonight and I knew we would win after he hit it. Smart kid that seems to do everything right. If called upon, he rises to the occasion.

Copeland - I really wish he'd get more playing time, but obviously with the progress that Dixon has made I understand why he hasn't played as much. He seems to have a lot of raw talent and if we need to increase the pace I feel like he's the guy to do it. While he's a little wild at times, I like the energy he brings. If Dixon comes out, I'd rather have him running point than Simpson or Potts so they can stay at the 2 position and use their talent to hit 3 pointers.

Foote - Really liked his aggressive style of play last year but it's almost as if Kermit can't find a spot to put him in and let him contribute.

Johnson - I see him having a big year next year. Really aggressive player that is good at driving the ball.

Gamble - Still needs to develop and be more aggressive. Not giving up on him but he hasn't showed much progress from last year. Definitely still has potential to be a player if he puts on a few pounds.

Walters has been a revelation since the Rice-North Texas road trip. We would not be 9-0 in the league without him.

Simpson runs hot or cold on offense but he's steady and knows where to be and when to be there. That's a needed quality for the team.

Foote is the main guy I want to see contribute more. He has the ability to score 2 or 3 garbage baskets per game and bring a high energy level. That's all we need from him and if he can do that on a reasonably consistent basis, it would be a huge boost.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I know he doesn't qualify as "bench play" anymore, but I really like what Habersham brings to this team. He has found his role. Knocks down the open shot. Has the length to create problems on defense.

This is a special team...

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I know he doesn't qualify as "bench play" anymore, but I really like what Habersham brings to this team. He has found his role. Knocks down the open shot. Has the length to create problems on defense.

This is a special team...
I agree, he is an under-rated starter. He does the little things very well. He is a great defender and an awesome team player. Assists were phenomenal from X man last night

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT