ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Is there anyway Athletics can take advantage of this thing...

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
...craze, fad, or whatever you want to call it...

excerpt:

...Pokéstops on MTSU’s campus include many of the buildings, the lucky blue horseshoe in Walnut Grove and the infamous cursed seal in front of the James E. Walker library. The area in front of the library is a popular hangout spot for mobile Pokémon trainers, as there are four Pokéstops in the immediate vicinity. These Pokéstops are almost always equipped with lures, items that can be activated in order to draw more wild Pokémon to the location. Players are often rewarded with eggs, which require the player to travel a certain physical distance before hatching into a new monster. Thus, the campus is also popular for its size. MTSU provides ample walking opportunities from one Pokéstop to another, allowing trainers to stock up on items, catch new Pokémon and finally witness their eggs hatch.

Pokémon gyms on campus include the Honors College, the Uranidrome and the Reese Smith Jr. Baseball Field. The ownership of said gyms seemingly shifts from Team Valor to Team Mystic to Team Instinct and back again about every hour. The app operates unlike the conventional handheld Pokémon games, and the truly competitive nature of gym battles is likely because nobody seems to understand exactly how every feature in the game works yet. A lot of the fun occurs when a friend explains a new theory they’ve heard about how to find the rare Pokémon that you want.

It is unclear whether or not the excitement surrounding the game will last into the beginning of the fall semester.....

I'm ashamed to admit my teenage daughter had me make a few stops around campus for her the other day for that cursed game. Glad to get around and see campus. My daughter seemed pretty convinced many other people were doing the same with their nose in their phone. I argued that people have been doing that for years irregardless of the game. May be par for the course, but my daughter had a typical teenage sarcastic begrudging attitude towards all the people mindlessly playing the game.

Oh, to answer the question of this thread: My daughter doesn't really care for sports. May not be the best example of the target population. Good question otherwise. Although we were over on campus with her making some stops around campus, not really sure of any good ideas to capitalize on it for athletics. Like many places around the country, I do suspect campus is seeing lots of traffic over that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT