ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any hope?

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001
I mean seriously? The football program has been stuck in neutral for several years. I really think Massaro has capped out on his ability to run things and has just accepted mediocrity as well. We need a fresh set of eyes in that role. Look at what UAB did after coming back, what about UNT that was horrible and now much better. The rest of the conference has improved and we have not. At least FAU took a chance to get better with Kiffin (even if it's only for a year). We are content to just got .500 or slightly above, and go to a low tier bowl.

It's amazing we pay Stockstill what we do and the return we get year after year. Each year seems to be high expectations, but never even a conference championship. What program accepts that year after year? Really sad, but it sounds like we are locked into it now because of his contract.

The biggest issue is the disconnection with the fans and the administration.

The current administration is satisfied with being bowl eligible every year and missing out on championships. They're OK with the mediocrity and subpar results. This is evidenced by their inaction despite 12 years of evidence. They view "winning" seasons as acceptable, and consider going to bowl games a success regardless of the results of those bowl games and regardless of the records vs. regional rivals (0-6 last 3 years)

The fans on the other hand want championships. They want national notoriety. They want to see the program moving forward. The fans demand wins against local rivals who they view as equals on the field. The fans want to win the important games.

There is a very large disconnect between what is acceptable to this administration and what is acceptable to this fan base. For some reason, McPhee and Massaro just don't have high expectations for this football program (as evidenced by their inaction despite 12 year of results). They are content, and the fans are not.

The longer this phenomena exists, the larger the rift is going to get. At some point, the administration will be forced to do something but it probably already be too late by then (if it's not too late already). The die-hards are starting to give up (finally) and once they're gone, it's gonna be tumble weeds on Saturdays.

The administration is banking on a big senior year from Stockstill & James, but I got bad news for them. FAU and Marshall, who are already vastly superior to our team in terms of talent, return nearly all of their talent next year. There are going to be huge expectations in the Boro next year, and it's just going to be another 6 or 7 win type year. Mark my words.

To say they are happy with just going to bowls is an understatement. Our equipment truck is gorgeous. But I hate all the bowl logos on it. And in the stadium. I feel that if you didn’t win it, don’t brag about having gone.

Out administration probably wouldn’t know how to react from a marketing perspective if we won a bowl. It would be an opportunity for huge momentum going into the next season but I truly believe they have no idea how to capitalize on it.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
To say they are happy with just going to bowls is an understatement.

I know. It's sad. In their eyes, this ODU game is probably the most important game of the season. All they care about are the bowl trips and festivities and all that crap that goes along with it. As long as Rick gives them that, they couldn't care less about winning CUSA. (I'm sure they'd love to win CUSA to shut the fans up, but that's the only reason).

In a weird way, I hope ODU blows us off the field and they all sit their happy @$$E$ at home this holiday season.

It's so unbelievably hard to be a fan of this university. Our administration has such an amateur pedigree and approach to everything its sickening. We honestly deserve the results we are getting with football. Massaro isn't half the AD I once thought he was. He knows how to schedule games and balance a budget but beyond that the man is lost.

No football bowl for the holidays this season? No problem! The basketball is playing in Hawaii for the Christmas Holidays.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I wonder. McPhee? basketball in Hawaii vs some low end bowl in East BFE. I wonder if our radio folks are thinking about it? Bowls are supposed to be big post season deals vs a Holiday day tournament in Hawaii...

Whose expectations will be high? I expect us to win 6 or possibly 7 next year then get blown out in a bowl game. Maybe if we're lucky we'll be 1-11 so then Massaro can't ignore Stockstill's *****iness anymore. For the players' sakes I hope we do well and have a 10-win year, but that just isn't realistic with Stockstill.

That’s just it. I want us to win because of the player so. Because I always want my school to win. But at the same time part of me doesn’t because of Stock. And Massaro.

I think many of us feel that exact way.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
To say they are happy with just going to bowls is an understatement. Our equipment truck is gorgeous. But I hate all the bowl logos on it. And in the stadium. I feel that if you didn’t win it, don’t brag about having gone.

Out administration probably wouldn’t know how to react from a marketing perspective if we won a bowl. It would be an opportunity for huge momentum going into the next season but I truly believe they have no idea how to capitalize on it.
They have already shown they are clueless about how to leverage bowl win momentum after NOLA 2009.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT