ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL I think we got the better of the Blackman point guards

Very impressed with Donovan Sims. The much traveled Darious Thompson, wku can keep him...

I think Sims may be our best PG and that is not a slam on Dixon (who is a solid player). Sims is so fast and I love his ability to drive to the hoop.

When we signed Sims, I looked at his stats and thought "why in the world are we signing a kid like this". I figured he would have to be an excellent distributor and floor general to make up for the lack of scoring. Little did I know how good he would be so early. He got a good one.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
When we signed Sims, I looked at his stats and thought "why in the world are we signing a kid like this". I figured he would have to be an excellent distributor and floor general to make up for the lack of scoring. Little did I know how good he would be so early. He got a good one.
Lol don’t doubt Kermit. I had the same thought. Until I saw the kid in a basketball game in Birmingham al against an Alabama commit

Donovan Sims has been the biggest surprise the last couple of weeks with Dixon on the mend.

Kermit seemed to indicate early in the season that Sims had some good abilities. With such limited play, his abilities just were not on full display. Although I will say this about him from early in the season, the team's offense seemed to have some good overall ball movement when Sims was at the point.

I never really had a good read on expectations for Sims as a signee. Obviously he was a good guard on one of the state's better teams. I just don't recall much hype about recruitment for Sims. He seemed to connect with Kermit early on as a local student athlete, and he was a committed Blue Raider. Perhaps his desire to play near home and committed to MT kept the recruiting interest in him low??? Whatever the case, he is really starting to impress. Glad he is a Blue Raider.

Last night's stats for Sims is crazy good in my opinion for a freshman PG. It's not that he is some big time scoring type of PG. It's his overall body of work and play for the team in a huge game on a huge stage. With only a couple/few normal freshman mistakes, he was outstanding!

6 Assts to 2 TOs is impressive for a Freshman PG vs quality opponents. Then throw in 4 steals! He had good shot selection when he did go to score his 6 pts. He also grabbed 3 boards for good measure. This hardly mentions his quick and smooth ball handling and ability to get out of trouble and penetrate defenses. Just wow.

I think Sims may be our best PG and that is not a slam on Dixon (who is a solid player). Sims is so fast and I love his ability to drive to the hoop.
]

Sims' emergence really gives us a different kind of player at the PG. Dixon's value has been steady FT%, and a solid assist to turnover ratio (even if his actual assist numbers are low). The knock on Dixon is he really isn't a scorer and doesn't shoot the ball well. Sims' assist to turn over isn't as good as Dixon, but I agree 100% with your assessment - he can create offense.

So we have the option of a steady player who can distribute or we can bring in a spark that is only going to get better.

With so many guys playing well last night, it felt like Kermit was playing chess and Stansbury was playing checkers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT