ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL How many games do you think ESPN has MT winning in 2023?

One of our most faithful traditions is giving newbies their first FBS win. Three opportunities in two seasons. Amazing.
Go ahead and count next year with Kennesaw. 4 opportunities in 3 years.

EDIT...
We are JSU's 5th FBS vs FBS game, and SHSU's 11th. So surely that won't happen again this year. If one of those were our first like JMU last year though, as awful as we play our first games, it wouldn't surprise me if that would happen.

JSU beat Ole Miss in 2010 and Florida State in 2021. So even when they beat us, it won’t be their first FBS win

JSU beat Ole Miss in 2010 and Florida State in 2021. So even when they beat us, it won’t be their first FBS win
I meant as an FBS school. We were JMU's first win once they officially became FBS members since they didn't have to go independent and went strait from FCS CAA to FBS SBC.

Same for JSU and SHSU as this is their first year as FBS teams and will have their first win sometime this year.

Our first FBS (1-A) win wasn't until our 2nd year as an independent in 2000 against LaT. Our 12th FBS vs FBS game.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, schools we've given their first win as FBS

Troy (first transition year)
FAU (transition year)
James Madison (first year FBS)
Western Kentucky (first transition year)

FIU beat us in their first FBS season although it wasn't their first because we were the last game that year.

Off the top of my head, schools we've given their first win as FBS

Troy (first transition year)
FAU (transition year)
James Madison (first year FBS)
Western Kentucky (first transition year)

FIU beat us in their first FBS season although it wasn't their first because we were the last game that year.
To bring home that point and make it even worse, WKU was an FCS independent during that transition when they beat us in '07, as was FAU in the '03 loss.
That WKU loss and McNeese are what makes Stock's FCS record 10-2.

Troy's first FBS season was '01 as an independent. We beat them that year. Their first FBS vs FBS win was Miss St. later that year. We did lose to them in '99 when we were an FBS independent and they were in FCS.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Thanks for the correction. Was trying to do it off memory rather than wasting time looking it up.

Im too lazy to look it up, but was SEMO’s win against us their first FBS win?

Thanks for the correction. Was trying to do it off memory rather than wasting time looking it up.
The whole FCS/FBS independent transition mess they used to do was just ridiculous and actually surprised me when I was researching Stock's record. Does take extra digging to sort it all out.

At least they got rid of that but unfortunately still have the, again ridiculous, delay of post season play in the first 2yrs of FBS membership. JMU being screwed again.

Because stuckstill is so good at losing to 1AA teams, I'm wondering how much money made its way into 7-woods pockets as a result of this constancy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT