ADVERTISEMENT

Has Massaro ever fired a coach?

Did he fire the softball coach a few years back or did she just resign. I know he did let her run the program into the ground

Today he did.

Yep. Just got the official announcement. Matt Peck
out as VB coach.

Statement from Massaro:

"After an extensive review of the volleyball program and declining results the past four seasons we felt a change in direction was needed," said Massaro. "We want to thank Matt for some of the success he has provided our program over the years and wish him the very best in his future endeavors."

Are they going to have to change the name of Peck Hall to Turnham hall, or will they wait until the position is filled permanent?

Peck had taken the volleyball team to a sweet 16 about 8 years ago. Not sure we've ever had a team sport to do as well. In recent years the volleyball program had become a dumpster fire...

Still a little surprised this did not wait until the end of the season.

I'm surprised also since they had recently showed improvement (don't know about the quality of opposition). I still wonder about the transfers of the All C-USA 1st teamer and the All C-USA freshman last year. We never heard what happened there. Something doesn't smell just right.

The trick is for Peck to come across with obvious concerns rather than sour grapes. I hope he does something like this:
Uun2kN00aMp8c.gif

Uh oh this could get interesting. He is not a happy camper. Im sure the comments about standards for female sports was a veiled shot at the football program. If our football team finishes under .500 things could get real ugly in the athletic department

2011 21-12 14-2 NCAA Tournament
2012 10-23 7-8
2013 17-13 8-6
2014 9-21 5-11
2015 8-19 6-7 - fired with three games left in regular season

Uh oh this could get interesting. He is not a happy camper. Im sure the comments about standards for female sports was a veiled shot at the football program. If our football team finishes under .500 things could get real ugly in the athletic department

If he wants to go down in flames, he's not doing his future job prospects much good...

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Not really a comparison even if football finishes with a losing record.
Football went back to back 8-4 followed by 6-6. Disappointing for sure but VB had 3 of the last 4 seasons with twice as many L's as W's. If FB rattles off a couple of 4-8 seasons then Peck has something to talk about.

Not really a comparison even if football finishes with a losing record.
Football went back to back 8-4 followed by 6-6. Disappointing for sure but VB had 3 of the last 4 seasons with twice as many L's as W's. If FB rattles off a couple of 4-8 seasons then Peck has something to talk about.
Maybe not but who else could he have been talking about?

"Other coaches all year long have told me what great potential our team has and how good we are going to be in the future. I am going public with all this and more. The days of different standards for coaches of female sports have got to come to an end.

"Please pray for me and my staff and team as some very ugly things regarding the athletics department and university are going to come out. I'm a fighter and I'm not going down easily!"

It's a volleyball team. They only exist because of title IX. He can scream all he wants.

No one cares.

Sorry Doug, this Blue Raider fan cares. While I desperately want my first priority, Men's BkB, to do well I also want a well rounded program where all programs we offer are respected. I wish MT offered competitive squads in wrestling, swimming and diving, field hockey, gymnastics, and any thing else which other schools offer and for which the NCAA offers championships neverless I realize that's but a dream.

But Doug, I do understand that FB and men's BkB drive the boat and that's all most casual fans care about. I also understand with a limited budget such as MT's it is virtually impossible to fund any programs to the level needed to be competitive nationally and it is also true that the NCAA, conferences' rules, and Title IX funding requirements hurt the "main" sports' budgets. Therefore I do understand where you are coming from.

It's a volleyball team. They only exist because of title IX. He can scream all he wants.

No one cares.
He cares because that was how he made his living. This on the surface doesnt seem like a big deal but we don't know what may come of this. I may be nothing but the way he is talking it seems like there is something bad about to come out because of this. Hopefully its just sour grapes on his part

Well they misrepresented his record in the press release, also didn't state that the program was on probation from the previous staff that he is just recovering from, he was stripped of 40+ wins because of that. Also he is basically saying he was fired because he is gay. All you have to do is read his facebook to put the pieces together.

well the majority of his wins came during probation and reduced ships. You can't lose twice as many as you win for years in a row and cry foul play. That being said just the accusations of discrimination is a distraction we don't need.

I hate to stereotype but wasn't the Softball coach that he fired gay? If not I apologize for being "that guy". If so the last two, and really only two, coaches CM fired were gay. We know that it was just a coincidence. They were performing poorly but I could see a morning talk show jumping all over it.

Another thing that always concerns me is Title 9. I don't base this on any knowledge, just my imagination, but I have always guessed that schools like us with limited resources have to get "creative" to meet Title 9 requirements. If he has proof of that "creativity" it could also be a pain in the arse that we don't need.

You can't claim discrimination or any other form of unfair treatment when you get 17 wins over two seasons. These claims will only hurt his chances of ever getting another job.

He cares because that was how he made his living. This on the surface doesnt seem like a big deal but we don't know what may come of this. I may be nothing but the way he is talking it seems like there is something bad about to come out because of this. Hopefully its just sour grapes on his part

How bad can it possibly be though?

It's mid-major conference volleyball. Peck and scream and cry all he wants, and it's not going to make waves.

I can't imagine any scenario short of human sacrifices in the locker room that would make anyone notice.

Sorry Doug, this Blue Raider fan cares. While I desperately want my first priority, Men's BkB, to do well I also want a well rounded program where all programs we offer are respected. I wish MT offered competitive squads in wrestling, swimming and diving, field hockey, gymnastics, and any thing else which other schools offer and for which the NCAA offers championships neverless I realize that's but a dream.

But Doug, I do understand that FB and men's BkB drive the boat and that's all most casual fans care about. I also understand with a limited budget such as MT's it is virtually impossible to fund any programs to the level needed to be competitive nationally and it is also true that the NCAA, conferences' rules, and Title IX funding requirements hurt the "main" sports' budgets. Therefore I do understand where you are coming from.

Care was probably the wrong term.

I probably should have used "notice".

I care, I want all our Blue Raider teams to be successful.

But if Peck thinks he's going to whip up some sort of crapstorm of controversy that's going to bring down the AD, I don't think so.

Mid-major girl's volleyball has to be one of the lowest profile sports there is. I don't even think most folks outside the die-hards would notice if we won the NCAAs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT