ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL garbage rule

'According to the report, one player said he "believed the ring was his property and since MTSU lost the bowl game, the ring had no meaning. He related his situation of selling the ring to be similar to a coach throwing away a second-place trophy."'

Exactly. If a booster was buying merch for 1,000s over the value, that's a story. This is asinine.

it says in your scholarship paperwork that all gear given to you by the school belongs to the school and if they want they can ask for it back.

These guys get cost of attendance stipends in addition to room and board stipends. Tuition, books and fees as well. Why would one be behind on his rent? Why is this the fault of the NCAA?
My financial aid (i.e. government loans) did not cover the total cost to live one year in college. I had to take out additional loans to help make ends that year (FWIW, I also had a job working 25-35 hours a week)

I'm with Space. It's their property. If they want to give it away, sell it, or pawn it, let them. This is a crazy rule by the NCAA.

On another note, why does MT give out rings for bowl games they lost? Isn't that like a participation trophy for Division I athletes?

I am one for abiding by the rules you agree to, so the player should not have done it. I also think the rule is so stupid it is beyond comprehension. I am not for schools paying players, but I am for players profiting off their likeness or their property. You give me a shirt or a ring it is mine. Unless I have to return it when I leave. If these rings were sold for far above market the NCAA has a case, but if they were pawned for market this is a non-story.

I'd like to know the name of that Pawn Shop. I've got some worthless crap I was just going to trash but now I have hope I might actually get some $$$ for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT