ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL For Wylie....

But he's no better than 3rd string for us....

If he would have stayed he would have started 4 games last year and 6 games this year and probably for the rest of the year. He isn't better than Stock; he chose to leave when he was 19, he is now 23.

How is this the fault of our staff?

If he would have stayed he would have started 4 games last year and 6 games this year and probably for the rest of the year. He isn't better than Stock; he chose to leave when he was 19, he is now 23.

How is this the fault of our staff?
The fact that he beat MT on a squad that’s only been back in business for a couple of years?

The fact that he beat MT on a squad that’s only been back in business for a couple of years?

But he is a 5th year senior...your post had to do with him, not his team. While UAB is winning their 50-50 games to date...they will lose a ton of guys in the next 2 years. Lets see where they are then.

That same team lost to Charlotte. LOL. It's a weird year. We had Sir Picks a Lot as our QB which screwed that game for us.

Reactions: C-Bow

Stock has 12 years to build his program.....

Bill Clark has had how many to construct his current team? And they beat us with a QB we thought no better of than 3rd string? LOL

Criticize AJ all you want but at least he doesn't throw picks left and right. And there's no way you're telling me Grammar was better. Grammar never did jack. He liked to turn it over too I recall.

AJ's steady hand is going to have UAB bowling in their first year back playing football, and they still have an outside chance of winning the West if North Texas loses some games.

AJ is a smart QB. He knows he doesn't need to go out there and throw for 300 or 400 yards every game (though he probably could if needed). There's many ways to win football games. Having a solid running game, a good defense, and a steady hand is probably the most consistent. Just because AJ isn't throwing for 3 TD's and 400 yards every game doesn't mean he isn't every bit the QB as Stockstill is. AJ's true dual threat ability make him quite a weapon, and he's a big reason UAB has had so much success.

We could have won just as many games with AJ, and possibly more, with him leading our program. I guarantee it. He's jumped around from team-to-team his entire college career. Imagine if he actually got a shot here in the Boro and was able to develop here with one team over many years....

Oh well, we'll never know. What I do know is we'll likely never win a CUSA title with Stockstill.

Grammer, as a jr was certainly better than AJ as a freshman. When AJ was here he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and is still completing less than 60% of his passes four years later. That's why when he did come in they never let him throw and basically made him a wildcat QB, because he was good with his legs.

To suggest otherwise demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the QB position. So, would anyone have legitimately played AJ over Austin in that one year for the prospect of what AJ could possibly be someday? I seriously doubt it. No coach in his right mind would. Had we played AJ we wouldn't have even made it to .500. He was third string for a reason. He was - at the time - the third best QB on the team. Austin completed 65% of his passes and threw for over 2500 yards that year. AJ won't achieve either of those this year. And while he is serviceable on a team that primarily is predicated on the run game and play action pass he is by no means even in the same ballpark as Brent. Further, there is no guarantee that AJ wouldn't have gotten hurt either particularly since we would be calling a hell of lot more QB runs with AJ than Brent. Had it not been for an egregious late hit on Brent he might not have never gotten hurt. It's funny that people turn his bad luck into anything other than what it is.

It's nothing short of asinine to suggest that we should have played AJ at that time as a freshman just so he wouldn't transfer and then hold it over the staff because they went with the best player at that time and he then transfers. Perhaps if any mistake was made it was not handing the keys to Brent in '14 instead of Grammer, because he is obviously better than both of them by any metric you look at. It's a damn shame we didn't get to see him this year with a legitimate defensive coordinator. It's also a shame the OL is in such shambles. IMO - if you want to focus on the coaching failure of CRS - that's where it should be put not on this ridiculous QB non-issue.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Further to that point, I contacted Chip before the Monday live event a few weeks ago and put forth that question about how a program over a decade into the tenure of a head coach that they haven't successfully refined their recruiting and development of offensive linemen that they simply plug the next group of guys in following graduation. Chip failed to present the question as I asked, gave Stock a softball and he blamed it on injuries, which is a complete and utter cop out. The situation with the offensive line is inexcusable. The situation with quarterback was largely predictable and why we needed Brent to stay healthy. The exact same thing happened at North Texas. Y'all remember that. The four-star coaches son couldn't stay healthy, they didn't have any D-I talent behind him (for obvious reasons) and it cost his dad the job.

Further to that point, I contacted Chip before the Monday live event a few weeks ago and put forth that question about how a program over a decade into the tenure of a head coach that they haven't successfully refined their recruiting and development of offensive linemen that they simply plug the next group of guys in following graduation. Chip failed to present the question as I asked, gave Stock a softball and he blamed it on injuries, which is a complete and utter cop out. The situation with the offensive line is inexcusable. The situation with quarterback was largely predictable and why we needed Brent to stay healthy. The exact same thing happened at North Texas. Y'all remember that. The four-star coaches son couldn't stay healthy, they didn't have any D-I talent behind him (for obvious reasons) and it cost his dad the job.

This...... bad online play is our current demise. Makes average tailbacks good and keeps the QB upright. Same for the other side of the ball. The big guys can mask a TON off deficiencies. The bad part is it's easier to recruit and develop D1 online prospects that to find run stuffing DT's or rush ends.

The real irony of that is that the North Texas coach you talk about (Darrell Dickey) is now the offensive coordinator at Memphis and Memphis's head coach at that time is now our defensive line coach.

The real irony of that is that the North Texas coach you talk about (Darrell Dickey) is now the offensive coordinator at Memphis and Memphis's head coach at that time is now our defensive line coach.

He's talking about Dodge. And his son might have been a 4 star recruit, but he wasn't a 4 star QB, that's for sure. Bad OL or not, that kid never did $hit.

And keep minimizing AJ and his talents. I'll keep watching his steady hand guide UAB to a great first season back from the dead while our team struggles to keep a pulse. Again, his TD's and yards don't matter if they are winning. If you can win playing good defense and running the ball, why would you expose yourself throwing 40 passes a game? AJ completes the passes (and runs the ball very well) when his team needs him to. I wish we had someone here who could do that. I also wish we could run the ball, and protect the passer, and not turn it over, and not get run over by hurry up offenses, and call better plays on 3rd and short....

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
He's talking about Dodge. And his son might have been a 4 star recruit, but he wasn't a 4 star QB, that's for sure. Bad OL or not, that kid never did $hit.

And keep minimizing AJ and his talents. I'll keep watching his steady hand guide UAB to a great first season back from the dead while our team struggles to keep a pulse. Again, his TD's and yards don't matter if they are winning. If you can win playing good defense and running the ball, why would you expose yourself throwing 40 passes a game? AJ completes the passes (and runs the ball very well) when his team needs him to. I wish we had someone here who could do that.
You're right. My bad. Carry on......

And keep minimizing AJ and his talents. I'll keep watching his steady hand guide UAB to a great first season back from the dead while our team struggles to keep a pulse. Again, his TD's and yards don't matter if they are winning. If you can win playing good defense and running the ball, why would you expose yourself throwing 40 passes a game? AJ completes the passes (and runs the ball very well) when his team needs him to. I wish we had someone here who could do that. I also wish we could run the ball, and protect the passer, and not turn it over, and not get run over by hurry up offenses, and call better plays on 3rd and short....

Why do you keep taking the 23 year old AJ and teleporting him back to 4 years ago. No one is saying AJ isn't doing a great job TODAY as QB at UAB. Many are saying is was unpolished and raw in 2014. I give him props for working hard, he got a full year of PT at Miss Gulf Coast and all the reps for 2 years at UAB. He is good now, but was a project and the UAB style of play suits him.

Why do you keep taking the 23 year old AJ and teleporting him back to 4 years ago. No one is saying AJ isn't doing a great job TODAY as QB at UAB. Many are saying is was unpolished and raw in 2014. I give him props for working hard, he got a full year of PT at Miss Gulf Coast and all the reps for 2 years at UAB. He is good now, but was a project and the UAB style of play suits him.

Because he lives in fantasy land. Back here in reality I am in no way am I minimizing AJ. I liked his skillset when he was at MT, but he wasn't ready in '14. I wished he would have stayed. We would have been a hell of lot better off with a legit DI QB on the roster at the end of last year and most of this season. But he absolutely made the best decision for him and we made the best decision for us. That's simply a fact. The reality is no QB we've ever signed previously and probably none we will sign in the near future could unseat Brent as the starting QB. Had Brent stayed at Cincy AJ probably starts at least two years at MT.

Last edited:
Exactly. AJ is no one's fault. If Grammer couldn't unseat Brent in 15, AJ certainly couldn't.

Our OL is coached by a guy who's not a OL coach. We have talent. We need a real OL coach like we used to have. Mallory needs to go.

Not buying this. Nobody knows what he could have done back then because he never got a shot. The very little PT he did get was nothing but runs. He probably would have stayed if he was at least the back up, but he knew he was better than 3rd string. He was at least better than Grammar, every step of the way, who never accomplished jack here at MT.

Reactions: Hop45
Not buying this. Nobody knows what he could have done back then because he never got a shot. The very little PT he did get was nothing but runs. He probably would have stayed if he was at least the back up, but he knew he was better than 3rd string. He was at least better than Grammar, every step of the way, who never accomplished jack here at MT.
Nor was AJ going to get a chance. He was told point blank as long as Brent was there he would not start. There was and still is favoritism.

Yes, favoritism over playing the best QB. If either of you think AJ is better than Brent then I got nothing for you. AJ would have been no more successful with the defense we had the last few years or the OL we have this year. Brent did more in two years than AJ could have done in four. But feel free to keep acting foolish. It's quite entertaining.

Last edited:
Nor was AJ going to get a chance. He was told point blank as long as Brent was there he would not start. There was and still is favoritism.

Oh, ok, Lil Stock only had the most productive 2 years as a QB in MT's history. You guys are simple embarrassing yourselves.

Oh, ok, Lil Stock only had the most productive 2 years as a QB in MT's history. You guys are simple embarrassing yourselves.
Try keeping up. I just said there was favoritism showed while AJ was here. Nothing about Brent's performance. He's a decent QB. MT's history for QB's does not set the bar too high.

Maybe not but I saw AJ in practice and scrimmages and he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn in broad daylight. Grammer could run for days and could sling it. AJ was much slower and overthrew a lot while he was here.

AJ got plenty of chances in practice and in scrimmages. It didn't happen there. He got 2 friggin additional years to improve at UAB. He got one on one coaching from Clark and their QB coach. He got a bazillion reps since UAB wasn't restricted during those 2 years of being out. UAB offered him something we couldn't. Time to develop. It helped him but this season ain't over yet.

I am not doubting Stockstill was the best QB on the roster at the time. I just don't think Grammar was any better than AJ. At best they were equals. Grammar was way too schizophrenic for me. He would have great games and then have games where you would wonder if he has money on the other team.

Regardless of the circumstances, when you look at the big picture it is quite sad to see a program that was just resurrected outperforming a head coach (with his son as the QB) in his 12th season.

I hate to keep piling on but our program is in trouble. It's not just a few message board folks who are sick of the same ole same old. The entire fan base is tired of the same predictable, uneventful, boring mediocre results. Don't believe me? Look in the stands. Even Brent acknowledged the current state of the program in his post UTEP game talk where he talked about people calling for his dads job.

At some point you've gotta take a step forward and show progress. It's been 8 years since we've had an exciting season. That's just too long. In 12 seasons we've never been the best team in our conference. That's a problem. Our fan base is far from unreasonable too. We are not demanding that we win the conference every year, but when your conference rival 100 miles up the road has barely joined D1 football and already has two consecutive CUSA titles....well....again, that's a problem.

We've given Stockstill more than enough time (and money) to put together a championship team. It's time to produce that championship or give someone else a shot. I mean seriously, is Massaro gonna give this guy 20 years to win a conference title???? Next year will be year 13....

Last edited:
CRS is a good and decent guy who loves his players. He's just not a championship HC. I will quote Wiley, because it bears repeating. 12 years... Let that sink in. 12 long years. That just about covers all the things we discuss on this board.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Wiley is Captain Obvious. He spouts things that everyone else knows and sees and acts like he's unearthed the cure for cancer. He's also done the same thing with every head coach at MT. The only difference is that Kermit shut him up. That said, the problems are obvious. But what's going to be done about it? What no one else will be honest with you about that I will is that CRS isn't going anywhere until McPhee and Massaro are gone (unless he retires within the next couple of years which I believe is a real possibility). There are no solutions here just a bunch of whining, bitching and moaning. We cannot afford to buy out CRS' contract. It is as simple as that. And if we do fork it over I can promise you that not only will we not get a competent coach to replace him (as we won't have the purse strings to levy a good salary) we will also fall decades behind in facility upgrades and other resources. The surest way to make us become the Vandy of C-USA is fire CRS right now. There is nothing that we can do about it. It is what it is. The irony is all the people who bailed on buying tickets or donating have ensured that we can't buy him out. That is the greatest tragedy of all. Unless you count the very real likelihood that we make it to seven wins and Stockstill is going to have yet another year added back to his contract.

Because I am moderately convinced that CRS retires within three years, we will be making a very large $6 million contribution to CRS retirement fund if we tried to remove him now. So, why don't you all calm the F down, make it out to ODU game and watch Brent's last five games at home next season and see what happens. Because there is one thing that I can promise you all right now. We won't see another Brent and Richie (especially at the same time) for a very long time. And if they don't get it done next year with those two in their last year we can all sign a letter to CRS and ask him to move up his retirement date. Or you can rent a Uhaul or whatever action you want to take.

So you're suggesting we all just continue to blindly follow (and fork over money) to an underachieving program and just pray that we get better results all because our AD and President were dumb enough to give him a contract we can't get out of. Sounds like insanity to me.

Also, the accountability extends beyond CRS to Massaro and McPhee for this mess. What were they thinking when they decided to basically give CRS a tenured position here? Sounds like the entire house needs to be cleaned.

A clean, fresh start would be amazing for this university. Get rid of them all IMO. Everyone quit going to the games and giving money and they'll be forced to do SOMETHING instead of the same ole same ole that has gotten us nowhere.

And if you want to see Brent and Richie play, you can find all our games online every week. I know because I've seen them all from the comforts of my home here in Columbus, OH. If you need help finding places to stream don't hesitate to ask. I'm always on this board during the games just make a post and I'll give you a link to stream.

It's the most Middle Tennessee thing ever that we have the best QB and best WR in the history of our school and still have nothing to show for it. Not even a bowl win. Sad. Maybe we'll get matched with the worst 6-6 MAC team out there if we can manage to limp to 6-6 in November. Prob still lose though.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
So you're suggesting we all just continue to blindly follow (and fork over money) to an underachieving program and just pray that we get better results all because our AD and President were dumb enough to give him a contract we can't get out of. Sounds like insanity to me.

Also, the accountability extends beyond CRS to Massaro and McPhee for this mess. What were they thinking when they decided to basically give CRS a tenured position here? Sounds like the entire house needs to be cleaned.

A clean, fresh start would be amazing for this university. Get rid of them all IMO. Everyone quit going to the games and giving money and they'll be forced to do SOMETHING instead of the same ole same ole that has gotten us nowhere.

And if you want to see Brent and Richie play, you can find all our games online every week. I know because I've seen them all from the comforts of my home here in Columbus, OH. If you need help finding places to stream don't hesitate to ask. I'm always on this board during the games just make a post and I'll give you a link to stream.

It's the most Middle Tennessee thing ever that we have the best QB and best WR in the history of our school and still have nothing to show for it. Not even a bowl win. Sad.

You are an intelligent individual who has a good capacity to think on your own - more so than most. For that reason, you already know the answers to the questions you pose. McPhee and Massaro of course bear the brunt of this. That's why I'm telling you Stockstill is here until they are both gone. It will indeed take new leadership, and I thought one of the new Board's first acts would be to send McPhee packing. But alas here we are and so is he. As for Brent and Richie, had it not been for fluke injuries we would have had something to show for it this year (especially given the transformation of the defense). Stockstill's hire of Shafer is nothing short of brilliant. We are quick to jump on the failure but slow to offer praise. The fluke injuries were beyond anyone's control. No other team could have overcome the losses to our key guys. For that I am willing to give CRS a pass for one more year. But even if I didn't...it wouldn't matter. Our financial situation can't address the problem we have due to years of failed leadership in the BRAA.

What you seek is not feasible. It simply isn't no matter how many times you pose the questions or demand the change. It's paramount to me keep saying over and over again that I should be dating a super model. The possibility of me hooking up with a supermodel is no more likely to happen than for us to fire CRS. Just because we want something doesn't mean it's going to happen or that it's even possible. But you can keep posting in every thread about it if you want. At some point though it's starting looking like an unhealthy obsession. So, you help me find the games and I will help you accept the reality of the situation.

Massaro brought Stock here. For Massaro to remove Stock while he is winning would be to admit that he was wrong to bring him here and Massaro is never going to admit that and neither him or McPhee is going to remove Stock while he is producing winning seasons.

I root for the school every year. Regardless of who is coaching or what issues we may have. MT01 is spot on. We can't change it unless we produce about 10 million reasons (dollars) to get him and his staff released and then pay for the search for a new coach and lure him and a good staff here. That ain't ever happening.

Also, even if we fixed the coach issue and got a rockstar in here, I'm no longer convinced that fixes the attendance. FAU is killing it and no one is showing up. FIU is BE for the 3rd time in program history. No one is there. WKU had 3 kick butt seasons with 2 championships and still couldn't completely fill their 20k stadium. I think G5 football is what it is and there are a small handfull of G5's who have big crowds and such. (Boise St., BYU, Houston, Memphis (now), Navy) TV is a cause and apathy might be another but a new coach and even a championship won't necessarily cure that. "Oh, you gotta win 10+ games and championships for 5 years straight." Well, as a G5, who the hell does that? Boise maybe but that's it. Every other coach is gone to a P5 well before that.

Last edited:
I really don't care if anyone shows up, and I couldn't care less if more or less people showed up if we win a championship. That's not the point. I don't want to win championships so that more people come to games. I want to win championships because I want my alma mater to be the best team in it's conference, and then go out and kick somebodies teeth in at a big bowl game. That's why you play the game. To win championships and to be the best team in your conference.

Sure, more people at the games would be great, but it's going to take A LOT of success to undue all the turds laid at Floyd over the last 10 years. The athletic department, coaches, and players have nowhere to look but in the mirror when they get upset about attendance numbers.

Winning doesn't fix attendance and and only 1 G5 team is winning championships year in and year out. If you won more than one championship like WKU, you lose your coach and suck the next year like WKU. Their fans ain't happy and already want Sanford gone. It's a tough equation. Yes, they got championships but they aren't happy now. :)

However, we are stuck and I make it a habit not to worry about stuff I can't change. I still go and have more fun rooting for them than I would anyone else. Although I do love watching Army win these last 2 years. They are 7-2 thus far.

Winning doesn't fix attendance and and only 1 G5 team is winning championships year in and year out. If you won more than one championship like WKU, you lose your coach and suck the next year like WKU.

If only this could happen to us. Instead we just been above the suck line for 12 years.

Winning doesn't fix attendance and and only 1 G5 team is winning championships year in and year out. If you won more than one championship like WKU, you lose your coach and suck the next year like WKU. Their fans ain't happy and already want Sanford gone. It's a tough equation. Yes, they got championships but they aren't happy now. :)

However, we are stuck and I make it a habit not to worry about stuff I can't change. I still go and have more fun rooting for them than I would anyone else. Although I do love watching Army win these last 2 years. They are 7-2 thus far.

i've been trying to adapt a more positive attitude. im tired of being negative, getting too old for it and its really unhealthy. Hopefully we'll win the conference next year.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT