ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL For MT to get to status of Wichita State..?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
What has to occur for MT to be a house hold mid major name and get benefit of the doubt come selection time because of the brand...even if they don't win the conference tournament..? I think Wichita has that edge because the name brand. Their conference is on par with C-USA. What has to take place? A few years in a row making tournament..? Going deep?

Last edited:
You have to win in the NCAA tourney, period. An elite 8 and following it up with another run. Wichita State had some historical success back in the 80s and then followed it up with I think back to back Final 4/8 success. They also have much deeper pockets - their team is THE EVENT in Wichita.

Making the tournament and advancing regularly in it is definitely the ultimate way to gain national traction, but that kind of success doesn't just happen. It's a long road requiring consistent university commitment.

Wichita State had a little bit of basketball history but had hit a huge dry spell for a decade prior to beginning their climb in the early 2000s. From the 89-90 season through the 99-00 season they averaged just 11.5 wins per year and were playing in a quickly aging facility.

The school made a good hire in Mark Turgeon and it took him an additional 3 seasons to record a winning season. During that same time, the school began a major campaign to renovate the arena and improve facilities for the program. Prior to the 02-03 season (before the program had turned the corner) they did a $25 million overhaul of their facilities.

Turgeon proceeded to have more success over the next couple of years before leaving for Texas A&M. The school then lured Gregg Marshall and has continued to make financial commitments to the program and to him personally to keep him for almost 10 years now. However, even in Marshall's first 2 years the program struggled. They went 11-17 and 17-17 in his first two years but stayed the course.

It's easy to see where Wichita State is now, but it has to be appreciated what they did as a university to achieve it. They made basketball THE priority of the athletic department in a conference that has basketball as THE priority.

At the end of the 90s, they were not anywhere near a quality program. Huge financial backing helped them make quality coaching hires, build program infrastructure, and the rest is history.

I would never suggest we drop football (Wichita State did drop football in the 80s), but I do sometimes fear that conferences like C-USA are doomed to consistent mediocrity in football and basketball.

I would never suggest we drop football (Wichita State did drop football in the 80s), but I do sometimes fear that conferences like C-USA are doomed to consistent mediocrity in football and basketball.

It's incredibly difficult for major universities (Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, etc) to provide the financial backing and build a culture of success in both basketball AND football. Certainly, some of these schools have made runs (or even won championships) in both sports, but the extended tradition (think Alabama football) necessary to build and sustain long term success is incredibly hard to support financially and culturally.

If it is hard for most major programs (P5 schools), it's even harder for the mid-major schools like MT, WKU, and Wichita State to sustain the success in multiple sports. It's why, IMO, WKU has struggled in basketball since moving to FBS football (and may have been a reason that Wichita State dropped football in the 80s). Culture plays a role in financial backing and financial backing plays a role in long term, sustained success

Wichita State is looking at reinstituting football. Not sure if they will or if it will be successful, but if they do it will be interesting they can do it without hurting basketball or losing Marshall in the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT