ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Fire Stockstill

Wow, haven't been on here in a couple of days. I see things are really cheery. This after reading the real downer of an article linked on the frontpage of The Tennessean about MT's attendance problem with the upcoming national tv broadcast.

If there are alums in Nashville thinking of making a trip to see a game, that article will about kill any such motivation.

We all can talk about some of the things that need to be fixed, which I frequently do, but the attendance problem is the major issue that continues to stand out. From game to game, some performances change. The attendance though is a big problem. There no energy or enthusiasm attracting the casual fan. Or fans of other teams that might be interested in MT as a 2nd or 3rd priority.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Welcome back! Again, you don't know me or for that matter what I know or, you would know that Massaro showed up unsolicited at my Franklin office 3 years ago after hiring Tommy West you arrogant smartass. Right now, they've got a 28-year old minority running the BRAA only 3 years removed from equipment room. He calls himself the COO.

Somebody in here already pegged you and you just validated it. Feel free to pick up a sack and join us on Friday night or crawl back to your own little sandbox BRZ.
Not sure how or why the person being a minority is relevant here

Not sure how or why the person being a minority is relevant here
It's a valid question whether minority hiring is being given preference over experience, education and skill set. Especially since this position is the key person soliciting major donors for a department in major need of funding. Don't make this something it is not.

It's a valid question whether minority hiring is being given preference over experience, education and skill set. Especially since this position is the key person soliciting major donors for a department in major need of funding. Don't make this something it is not.
I simply asked a question. I didn't make it anything that it wasnt.

To be fair, the initial post wording leaves your meaning open to interpretation, although you explained better in the follow-up.

The bigger issue - the current status of our program has us doing considerable in-fighting. Did I stumble into a time machine? Is it 2005 & are we slappies again?

Wow, haven't been on here in a couple of days. I see things are really cheery. This after reading the real downer of an article linked on the frontpage of The Tennessean about MT's attendance problem with the upcoming national tv broadcast.

If there are alums in Nashville thinking of making a trip to see a game, that article will about kill any such motivation.

We all can talk about some of the things that need to be fixed, which I frequently do, but the attendance problem is the major issue that continues to stand out. From game to game, some performances change. The attendance though is a big problem. There no energy or enthusiasm attracting the casual fan. Or fans of other teams that might be interested in MT as a 2nd or 3rd priority.

Seemed like there was a lot of people at the Vanderbilt game. Could have been a great opportunity to build the fan base....but yet again....

Seemed like there was a lot of people at the Vanderbilt game. Could have been a great opportunity to build the fan base....but yet again....

Your right. We have had some significant crowds at early games over the past 18 years. I think all of this can begin with the correct prescription for the program to move forward "regardless if its CRS or not".

- Early season games are MORE important and need to be treated as such.
- Even if its for TV, NEVER schedule a game on a Friday night at home.
- Overpay for championships and bowl wins, not just for winning seasons.
- Clearly publish the goals of the Athletic Dept, example, what is our goal for season tix sales.

I am sure there are many others. Every game is not the same. Example, A 7-5 record with wins over WKU and Vandy means more than a 7-5 record with losses to these teams.

Reactions: MTTim
To be fair, the initial post wording leaves your meaning open to interpretation, although you explained better in the follow-up.

The bigger issue - the current status of our program has us doing considerable in-fighting. Did I stumble into a time machine? Is it 2005 & are we slappies again?
I was working full time and in class most of '04 and '05. LOL

Your right. We have had some significant crowds at early games over the past 18 years. I think all of this can begin with the correct prescription for the program to move forward "regardless if its CRS or not".

- Early season games are MORE important and need to be treated as such.
- Even if its for TV, NEVER schedule a game on a Friday night at home.
- Overpay for championships and bowl wins, not just for winning seasons.
- Clearly publish the goals of the Athletic Dept, example, what is our goal for season tix sales.

I am sure there are many others. Every game is not the same. Example, A 7-5 record with wins over WKU and Vandy means more than a 7-5 record with losses to these teams.

I was just about to post the same thing.

All games are not created equal.

In today's world, with distractions and many other options for you entertainment attention and entertainment dollar, there's only so many games that you're going to really be able to make an impact. Call them showcase games.

Early season games. Rivalry games. Bowl games. Championships.

Our record in these showcase games is beyond abysmal.

Yet the AD and program are somehow completely blind to this fact.

I was just about to post the same thing.

All games are not created equal.

In today's world, with distractions and many other options for you entertainment attention and entertainment dollar, there's only so many games that you're going to really be able to make an impact. Call them showcase games.

Early season games. Rivalry games. Bowl games. Championships.

Our record in these showcase games is beyond abysmal.

Yet the AD and program are somehow completely blind to this fact.
Doug they are not blind to it. I honestly believe they just don't care because nobody holds them accountable for it. It's definition of insanity x 10. As long as they are allowed to hit the general fund for athletic department shortfalls and students don't revolt over increased student activity fees then nothing will change.

The guy I'd really like to meet Friday night is BigBlueBrad. I archived his Christmas Eve tweet and crowd shot of CM in Hawaiian shirt and lei during the game. I laugh every time I see it.

There is no accountibility from the top down. I suggested to Mcphee last year we find a way to salute our seniors early in the season while we still had decent crowds. He said great idea I'll make it a priority. Crickets.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
The guy I'd really like to meet Friday night is BigBlueBrad. I archived his Christmas Eve tweet and crowd shot of CM in Hawaiian shirt and lei during the game. I laugh every time I see it.

I just talked to Brad earlier. You would really like what he's got planned for this week. Haven't seen it yet, but he's having MT Dumpster Fire T-shirts made. You can find him and the crew in slot one of RV row.

Last edited:

Yep, it seems that the excitement at the return of the football season after the long offseason and the hopes and excitement for a big season when the team is starting with 0 losses tends to get good crowds out to the stadium for the first home game. Far too rare that big wins combined with sustained wins have helped in keeping the fans returning for the rest of the season.

Actually, the usual decent home opener turnout is one of the factors that keeps me optimistic that should MT sustain some good success decent attendance for the season can be achieved at MT.

If MT was to pull a UAB and shut the program down for awhile, does that change anything on Stocks contract?

That is a classic and needs to be a part of the lore of this program. Very well done! Glad you did that.

[QUOTE="FranklinRaider315, post: 77678, member: 294"]I would think not.

Unless the program files bankruptcy.[/QUOTE]

If we're resorting to this kind of reasoning, we just as well say to the world that football is moving to FCS and returning to Ohio Valley Conference in all sports! Its a money saver and wouldn't appreciably change physical attendance if we aren't committed to turning things around to win championships. Last night's loss added a 26th year without an outright championship in football!

The OVC case: Recent performance has been weak and expenses of baseball, softball, and volleyball mount. And, we could resume Harvey/Shinny Ninny series in football with Tennessee Tech near Thanksgiving to bring back the alumni to campus. Tennessee State and Austin Peay (yes, they are better this year) would come closer to filling stands over UTEP, Charlotte, or Old Dominion. Downside, is we lose rivalries with WKU and Marshall, but we would exchange for Murray and Jacksonville States. C-USA basketball is much different these days in terms of earning two NCAA bids. Basically, it comes down to our performance over three days during March. Will say our chances for NIT is better in C-USA should we stumble in the conference tournament than the OVC.

All seriousness, there needs to be better vision and tactical execution in AD's office in terms of rehabilitating programs to where we are seriously competing for conference championships year in and year out. Part of that is accountability. That is not being done enough! Too often, our athletic teams are left in the dust halfway through the season in the championship marathon. Right now, Kermit Davis is carrying the MT brand the best followed by Dean Hayes for Track and Field. Even in basketball there is considerable work required if we want to catapult into the national spotlight. Our historic year in basketball barely got us a #25 ranking in coaches poll. We would have likely been left out for at large, had we lost to Marshall in C-USA Championship back in March. Our #12 seeding earned suggested that observation; I don't trust the NCAA selection committee and a 27-5 type of resume getting the dance card punched, as long as the rest of C-USA is what it is.

Why not just end football and stay in CUSA in everything else? Our basketball is the top program in CUSA and one of the top non-power teams. Put all the money into hoops (what little it is).

Why not just end football and stay in CUSA in everything else? Our basketball is the top program in CUSA and one of the top non-power teams. Put all the money into hoops (what little it is).

Not possible, UAB almost got kicked out when their dumbass president discontinued the program, they promised to reinstate it and that's the only reason they were allowed to stay.

I don't think we should discontinue football. Hell, we didn't from 2002-2006. So, why would we do it now? Look, if we had brent at 100%, this whole season would be different. It is what it is. There is no way we would have a backup as good as Stock. However, it's clear that we need to recruit a starter now. We need a QB that is ready to go right now. Urzua is a deer in the headlights and Banks didn't look much different.

Let’s not forget Lane Kiffin’s first shot at us either.

Yup. As we are getting worse, the conference is getting better. Great timing Stockstill. FAU, North Texas, La Tech, UAB, Southern Miss, WKU, Marshall, UTSA.....all better than us right now and will be for the foreseeable future. We are just not talented on the OL and another year isn't going to help much. Other than Chandler Brewer, we just have poor players at the position. Very dark days ahead for MT until we can recruit some legit D1 OL players. I would be shocked if at the very least our OL coach wasn't replaced. The current state of affairs with our OL is beyond unacceptable, injuries or not.

Tony Franklin also doesn't appear to adjust well to limitations of a team. He's like living in a bubble or something and thinks because something works on paper that it will work in game. He's got to do a better job of finding match ups we can win with plays that we can actually execute (if that's even possible at this point with this OL). Also, stop giving Urzua options on 3rd and short when we have 2 plays to get the first down. The kid clearly doesn't have strong decision making skills (and I'm starting to question the same for our staff)

And I couldn't disagree with you more JT regarding "everything would be different with Brent" if he were playing. That OL can't block Warren County High School. We could have Tom Brady back there and it wouldn't matter. We might have beaten UAB with Brent but FAU and Marshall are losses no matter what so it really doesn't matter.

Ok, I know things are bad, but folks please put down the sharp objects. MT just needs a new coaching regime. You all now have killing the program in mind. Come on folks. Step back from the ledge.

Listened to an older song today that reminded me of MT's football situation. I imagine it sort of could be the theme song for this current era. Steely Dan's Deacon Blues. The picture that song paints is an awful lot like what is being talked about here if only it were Blue Raider Blues.

"They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues"

Many of you older folks know the song. Feeling like a loser, he wants to be a boozing sax player who's drunk all the time and essentially wants to commit suicide behind the steering wheel. Maybe not the killing yourselves part, but by 3rd qtr last, I bet a lot of folks were drinking heavy and thinking of suiciding the program. Heck, folks are talking about that today I don't suspect you folks are drunk when talking about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT