ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Fire Stockstill

I spent some time reviewing Stock’s contract last night (I find contracts fascinating). IF I understand the coontract, the buyout is ~750k annually until 2024, subject to offsets.

Some additional clauses in the contract that could benefit MT :
1) If terminated without cause, Stock would have to make a good faith attempt to find gainful employment (in or out of football). He must, per the contract, detail his efforts to find employment to Massaro / MT. If Stock decides not to pursue employment, it negates the buyout and removes MT from compensating Stock further

2) Stock can be reassigned within the institution to an area that matches his experience and education (i.e. Special Advisor to President and Athletic Director). If Stock refuses this reassignment, it acts as a resignation and MT owes Stock no further compensation.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Let me know if you have any questions about buyout or Stock’s contract. I’ll do my best to answer them.

I spent some time reviewing Stock’s contract last night (I find contracts fascinating). IF I understand the coontract, the buyout is ~750k annually until 2024, subject to offsets.

Some additional clauses in the contract that could benefit MT :
1) If terminated without cause, Stock would have to make a good faith attempt to find gainful employment (in or out of football). He must, per the contract, detail his efforts to find employment to Massaro / MT. If Stock decides not to pursue employment, it negates the buyout and removes MT from compensating Stock further

2) Stock can be reassigned within the institution to an area that matches his experience and education (i.e. Special Advisor to President and Athletic Director). If Stock refuses this reassignment, it acts as a resignation and MT owes Stock no further compensation.
So, we could fire Massaro and reassign Stockstill to AD? And if he refuses we are off the hook? This is manna from heaven :)

BRaiderDave,

The legal question surrounding that clause of the contract would be what position is “consistent with his education and experience.” Is Special Advisor to President and Athletic Director consistent with Stock’s education/experience. I’d say so, but I’m not sure how the court would rule. Further, I’d also say that AD would be a position consistent with education and experience.

Let’s not get ahead...Stock ain’t going anywhere and neither is Massaro

BRaiderDave,

The legal question surrounding that clause of the contract would be what position is “consistent with his education and experience.” Is Special Advisor to President and Athletic Director consistent with Stock’s education/experience. I’d say so, but I’m not sure how the court would rule. Further, I’d also say that AD would be a position consistent with education and experience.

Let’s not get ahead...Stock ain’t going anywhere and neither is Massaro
Buzz kill

How does the buyout work exactly? I assume we don't owe him the full amount of his contract immediately. If we owe it to him over the life of the contracts remaining years why cant we just play an extra money game to cover it each year. It would be worth it to finally rid ourselves of this awful deal. Plus, I think the fans prefer a schedule with more opportunities to knock off the "big boys".

Have you looked at our schedule? Its including 2-3 P5s for as far as the eye can see. It how we are trying to balance the check book now.

"It how (sic) we are trying to balance the check book now."

Looking at the problems with men's golf and volleyball maintaining recent success, the inability of T & F to be as competitive as in previous conferences, the struggles gaining traction in soccer and softball, and the obvious problems in baseball one has to think the financial problems within the athletic dept. are serious, most probably affecting recruiting budgets.

I know some do not agree but IMHO the problems begin in Cope, not Murphy Ctr. It is clear a shakeup is needed somewhere.

"It how (sic) we are trying to balance the check book now."

Looking at the problems with men's golf and volleyball maintaining recent success, the inability of T & F to be as competitive as in previous conferences, the struggles gaining traction in soccer and softball, and the obvious problems in baseball one has to think the financial problems within the athletic dept. are serious, most probably affecting recruiting budgets.

I know some do not agree but IMHO the problems begin in Cope, not Murphy Ctr. It is clear a shakeup is needed somewhere.
Here is an article about Washington State... http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ton-st-leach-says-no-plans-follow-ad-nebraska

Note: Leadership, attendance is up to 32k in a 33k seat stadium.. Splash coach hired.. Think about it..

In my brain, when Brent is done, so is Rick. As long as Scott Schafer has the defense rolling... He has ACC HC experience. Now a lot can be said for clearing out the entire office, but what he has done is nothing short of impressive.

SignaNuBlue your post was spot on. I'm apathetic about Blue Raider football for the first time since 1999. It is truly sad that Brent is hurt, it is sadder that we are so inept without him. It is not too much to ask to have a ring. Nor is it too much to actually win a bowl game. I'll be there Friday, because it is what I do. I'm hopeful as always, but it doesn't hurt when we sh1t the bed near as much as it did a decade ago.

I just bought into the hype again this year.. That's on me.. The losses are on them. Uruza throws a great ball but makes poor decisions.. That's on coaching... I can't tell you my disgust of watching the UAB game.. I'll watch Friday night and be just as emotional on every play.. I just wish I would have more good than bad spats..

I'll be there, but it gets out of hand early, not sure if I will stick around for halftime or the second half. Probably go somewhere to have an adult beverage or three...

Reactions: mbg2g and C-Bow
Some UAB fan who claimed to have played for an 0-10 Saints squad gave me grief on the CUSA forum for threatening to do this. Also had to knock down ThreeIfByLightning a peg or two.

LMAO. MT01=TIBL

You didn't knock anyone down. You got called out for your hypocrisy.

The truth is you and I aren't that far off from one another on where we see things. The truth is there probably isn't a single person who has called the spade a spade as much as I have. But I do it with objectivity. You and some of the others do it out of spite or animosity. You're just a grumpy old man that is bitter because people at the university didn't listen to your unsolicited advice. If you are so much better than everyone at this why don't you get your ass in the athletic department and get it fixed. You ****ing arm chair QB's are an embarrassment to yourselves and to what is left of the fan base. Your sole purpose it seems to be to use social media to seek retribution for your perceived grievances. You talk out of both sides of your ass. Your bounce around supporting whichever school is winning the best. You are the definition of a fairweather fan and frontrunner. And yet somehow you take pride in that. Wow.

I personally HAVE worked in that athletic department. I left because of the Little Middle culture. I had hoped Massaro would fix it but he has been unable. He's now sucked into it.

There is no doubt we need changes across the university beginning at the very top. Not all but some of the problems MT has can be fixed. They can be fixed with better leadership. I know CRS is not perfect. I'm as starved for us to get a conference title as anyone else, but our program (while I would like to see it better) has a record that is better than (based on W/L) and attendance than 50 other G5 programs give or take (not counting the P5 programs we've outperformed like Kansas, for example). In our case, withholding support is not going to cause a change in the head coaching position. The most likely leadership changes that are going to occur in the next couple of years are the Prez and the AD. Only then will the issues with coaching be addressed. Only then can new leadership ask the hard questions about why a guy like Tommy West is still on the sidelines. You act like you know what is going on, but you don't or you would already understand this.

But to attend the game and say you are going to bring paper bags as masks is laughable. It just makes you and anyone else considering it look like a bafoon. This isn't the NFL. And you're no Boone Pickens.

So what do you propose? Just continue blindly supporting and following this train wreck? Just keep giving and attending? Can't even wear a paper bag while supporting? Unreal. There are consequences for sucking and underperforming. I hope half the crowd is wearing paper bags on Friday night. Let's send a message.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
So what do you propose? Just continue blindly supporting and following this train wreck? Just keep giving and attending? Can't even wear a paper bag while supporting? Unreal. There are consequences for sucking and underperforming. I hope half the crowd is wearing paper bags on Friday night. Let's send a message.

First, is a rational perspective on where things are. MT football is not a train wreck. It just hasn't advanced to where we would all like it to be. If you can't make that distinction then it's not going to matter, because the fan base is going to divide like it did when McCollum was here (who BTW I was one of the ring leaders to helping to make sure he got fired). Case in point as I posted elsewhere, below are the only 13 non-power programs with a better record than MT over the past five years. So, that means all other 50 or so G5 schools have done worse. Only the eight with asterisks have won a conference title and three of these 13 have had worse attendance than MT.

Boise* .757
NIU* .705
Toledo .698
wkcc* .697 (mostly due to the last two years)
SDSU .686
Navy .681
Houston* .661
Ark St* .646 (did well once all the better programs left)
Marshall* .630
La Tech .615
Cincinnati .609
BGSU* . 597
Utah St. .591
Middle Tennessee .587

We also have one of the highest graduation rates in the country. We have - aside from conference titles - a model program right now. The question is how do we make that next step happen. That may or may not happen with Stockstill, but for now it is what it is. And he is ostensibly here until he retires, but that does not mean that we can't find a better way to elicit better performance.

I honestly don't know what the answer is, but I do know that we do not have a Boone Pickens type or even a couple like that who have the money and can help wield influence with financial stability behind action to make it happen. What we do have now is our own Board of Directors. And the fanbase needs to identify a way to connect with them. This is something MT alumni, students, and fans have never done well at MT and that is engage leadership to help make better decisions and advance the purpose and agenda of the university. Perhaps we could generate a unified letter to the AD (or even the Board) demanding answers to some very specific questions about where we are and how he's going to right the ship. The failures of the BRAA and lack of fundraising at MT is an epidemic right now. Our inability to advance MT football beyond where we've been has some roots there. But there are obviously other problems that CRS has failed to address that he needs to be held accountable for but seemingly isn't.

At any rate, I'm not going to profess I know what we can do, but start with a common baseline. If we all recognize that mediocrity is being rewarded we can't simultaneously turn around and call it a dumpster fire. It can't be both.

LMAO. MT01=TIBL

The truth is you and I aren't that far off from one another on where we see things. The truth is there probably isn't a single person who has called the spade a spade as much as I have. But I do it with objectivity. You and some of the others do it out of spite or animosity. You're just a grumpy old man that is bitter because people at the university didn't listen to your unsolicited advice. If you are so much better than everyone at this why don't you get your ass in the athletic department and get it fixed. You ****ing arm chair QB's are an embarrassment to yourselves and to what is left of the fan base. Your sole purpose it seems to be to use social media to seek retribution for your perceived grievances. You talk out of both sides of your ass. Your bounce around supporting whichever school is winning the best. You are the definition of a fairweather fan and frontrunner. And yet somehow you take pride in that. Wow.

I personally HAVE worked in that athletic department. I left because of the Little Middle culture. I had hoped Massaro would fix it but he has been unable. He's now sucked into it.

There is no doubt we need changes across the university beginning at the very top. Not all but some of the problems MT has can be fixed. They can be fixed with better leadership. I know CRS is not perfect. I'm as starved for us to get a conference title as anyone else, but our program (while I would like to see it better) has a record that is better than (based on W/L) and attendance than 50 other G5 programs give or take (not counting the P5 programs we've outperformed like Kansas, for example). In our case, withholding support is not going to cause a change in the head coaching position. The most likely leadership changes that are going to occur in the next couple of years are the Prez and the AD. Only then will the issues with coaching be addressed. Only then can new leadership ask the hard questions about why a guy like Tommy West is still on the sidelines. You act like you know what is going on, but you don't or you would already understand this.

But to attend the game and say you are going to bring paper bags as masks is laughable. It just makes you and anyone else considering it look like a bafoon. This isn't the NFL. And you're no Boone Pickens.

Welcome back! Again, you don't know me or for that matter what I know or, you would know that Massaro showed up unsolicited at my Franklin office 3 years ago after hiring Tommy West you arrogant smartass. Right now, they've got a 28-year old minority running the BRAA only 3 years removed from equipment room. He calls himself the COO.

Somebody in here already pegged you and you just validated it. Feel free to pick up a sack and join us on Friday night or crawl back to your own little sandbox BRZ.

Both CM and SM have asked to meet with me in the past as well. It doesn't mean jack. You know as well as I do what those are for (and it's not to get our advice).

Both CM and SM have asked to meet with me in the past as well. It doesn't mean jack. You know as well as I do what those are for (and it's not to get our advice).
I have no desire to meet with either. What saddens me more is that it took me 8 years to finally figure them out.

At least the folks who run things in here are willing to allow everyone's opinion without banning them unlike your KoolAid pitcher.

LMAO. MT01=TIBL

You were an Asst. Media Relations guy writing copy for Women's Softball and Men's Baseball media guides and whatever else Owens told you to do. If I need to seek advice on how to run an Athletic Dept., or properly air my grievances, I'll call Ziggy, not you, Owens or Massaro. You may be a UTK grad but you're no Doug Dickey.

Yep as a 20-something. Times have changed. I moved on to bigger and better things.

But nothing I said has been refuted. Clearly, the truth hurts. My apologies for dampening your frail ego.

Reactions: MTSUSkyman
Yep as a 20-something. Times have changed. I moved on to bigger and better things.

But nothing I said has been refuted. Clearly, the truth hurts. My apologies for dampening your frail ego.
I know. I strive to be a T. Boone Pickens but doesn't appear I'm gonna make it.

Wish we had a few TBP's.

At my other school, I have heard these guys called the cigar boys. When they get fed up, they encourage the AD to make a change if he isn't already moving that direction.

Do we have any people like this? Obviously we don't have any TBP type donors, but what does our biggest donors think of the current state of the program?

At my other school, I have heard these guys called the cigar boys. When they get fed up, they encourage the AD to make a change if he isn't already moving that direction.

Do we have any people like this? Obviously we don't have any TBP type donors, but what does our biggest donors think of the current state of the program?
Good question.

Problem is, our dumb @$$ AD gave Stock such a good contract that even if he wanted to fire him, he couldn't. So he knows he is stuck with him and he's just trying to make the best of it. Just like a bad, failed marriage who's parents don't want to break up because they have 4 kids. Except here there's no divorce because the divorce is too expensive.

Fortunately, as a fan, I'm not stuck with him and am free to move on at any time (which I did long ago). We've never had big money backing our programs here at MT so Massaro should have had the foresight to see that the contract he gave Stockstill was basically making him a tenured coach in the profession. It isn't hard to fatten up on wins in late October/November when you play in the Suck Belt/CUSA while scheduling manageable P5 teams & FCS teams earlier in the season. You end up with one of the easiest schedules in the country year in and year out. Just having a faint, irregular pulse will get you 6, 7, and even 8 wins sometimes with that kinda schedule. But you're gonna lose almost all of your key games and never win any championships because the few good teams on your schedule are gonna beat you almost every time. That's MT football right there.

I think everyone pretty well knows I came late to the party because I didn't even enroll at MT until the Fall of '03 and graduated in May'05. I first met Roy Mewbourne in Jan. '07 and he got me involved in BRAA. To say I'm a fair weather fan or bandwagon jumper to winning schools is simply not true. Hell, Larry Porter got me involved at Memphis again and he only won 2 ball games in 2 years. I supported Stock through 6 straight losses to Troy and four in 5 years to ASU. I was there for the Mcneese loss. My only real bright spot was '09 and NOLA. Wylie and I used to have some real doozies in here with me trying to defend Stock. But when he hired Tommy West I took that personal. Tommy got a contract similar to Stock's but only for 5 years. RC Johnson gave it to him after DeAngelo William's junior year. When Justin Fuente was hired by Memphis, that first year they were paying Tommy West, Larry Porter and Justin Fuente. Three freaking HC checks. That is why I'm still pissed at Massaro. I know these kids work hard in practice and want to do well. Unfortunately, they are put in a difficult situation. But something has to be done to make the decision makers take notice. I'm not gonna fight with fellow fans who disagree with me but I would expect the same consideration. And I will still support Memphis. I played there and Mike Norvell drove to Nashville last year to play golf with me in Boot's Backfield in Motion golf outing. He even paid $800 at the silent auction for the autographed Jerry Rice jersey.

ADVERTISEMENT