ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Fire Stockstill

MTOleBlue

All American
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2015
You all know I have been of this opinion for a while. But there has to be a point where something changes. What will it take - a crowd of 1,000 for an ESPN2 game against Marshall in which we are blown out? Well that is likely to come on Friday. A 63-0 loss to Charlotte? That one may be further off. When will we break this tradition of being excited, told we are going to be "very good" the next year, then falling apart at the seams?? Every year it is the same story. Always excuses, never improvement.

It is fine to say "well the players are doing good things". OK, well we will have bigger problems if we can't get 5,000 people to a game and the program can't make enough money to pay its bills. I wonder, how does this cycle feel to a player who has to sit through the same pathetic performances every year? The HC doesn't want to talk to his team during the game. Fan support falls apart after Week One because we lay an egg. We lose to Florida Tech State University at Daytona Beach. We wonder why we only get a few good recruits, well this is part of it. The brave ones who come here do so and play well, and maybe - just maybe - get a chance to play professionally. At least they get a good education. The rest just suffer through it all like every fan who gets excited to see this team. Then it all falls apart. Every year.

Time for a change. Well, it won't happen, but one can dream.

Fans need to band together and protest the games. Keep tailgating and doing everything you normally do, just don't buy tickets or attend the game. Watch it from the tailgate or something. If we speak with our wallets, they will have no choice but to run him off. We could even start a gofundme and start putting the money in there we would normally spend on tickets. I'm in to donate whatever season tickets cost. Who's with me? We'll set it up in McPhee's name and it can only be collected when Stockstill's contract is terminated. If he takes another job or retires then the funds will be donated to basketball.

Nobody cares.

I'm dead serious. The only people care are the 24 people that post on here.

M&M don't care, they get all expense paid trips to bowl sites as Christmas bonuses.

Stock don't care, he's got a lifetime contract, no pressure from his boss, he hires his buddies, don't recruit particularly harduring. It's a sweet gig.

Players don't care-they're drinking the staff's kool-aid. Complaints about attendance but no awareness of the gut punch losses.

Nobody cares.

I'm dead serious. The only people care are the 24 people that post on here.

M&M don't care, they get all expense paid trips to bowl sites as Christmas bonuses.

Stock don't care, he's got a lifetime contract, no pressure from his boss, he hires his buddies, don't recruit particularly harduring. It's a sweet gig.

Players don't care-they're drinking the staff's kool-aid. Complaints about attendance but no awareness of the gut punch losses.
Exactly. The only way to stop it is just stop buying tickets and stay home. Even then it might not be enough to convince them to get rid of the "head coach"

#HireButchJones? Too soon? o_O. On a serious note, my interest is waning. I'll be at the remaining home games, but only because I have season tickets. Seriously thinking about taking my BRAA and football ticket dollars somewhere else.

I am going to email massaro to see if I can donate the rest of my season tickets to the boys and girls club or some other organization. All future money and time is going to kermit and the basketball team.

Good choices. Give it all to the basketball program. They've earned it. Stock had 12 seasons here and couldn't get us out of the ditch. It's time to move on.

It seems pretty clear that Kermit and the basketball team have more than earned lots of good support. While it appears that the support, i.e. attendance, has improved over the recent years, there is still need for continued improvement in basketball attendance. Same goes for season ticket sales for basketball.

Kermit has repeatedly spoke openly and publicly about his desire to see a good increase in season ticket sales. It seems like a good targeted way of supporting MT sports and specifically supporting a successful and deserving program for those folks who care about such matters.

I imagine some other folks on here also watched the UAB game on tv. Of note was their video and talk of UAB's new facilities, funds, and future facilities. The whole bringing the program back got people to donate millions of $$ to the program. UAB went from poor and below average football facilities in C-USA to some of the best new facilities around.

All of that talk reminds me how other such programs have leadership campaigning and advocating for that growth and improvement. It's not just UAB. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't sense any campaign, movement, or groundswell of support for MT's football program. Obviously, the coaches and players work each day to get ready for the next game. Beyond that at the leadership level, it seems MT football is just sort of floating along with no real direction.

Like I said elsewhere, if this football season was a horse, it would have to be put down, a bullet to the head.

Watching games has ceased to have the feel of going to the dentist, but feels Iike I'm going to a funeral service.

Last edited:
If Bill Clark would have left when the ax was dropped, UAB would have been worse than Charlotte. Clark is legit and he out coached us last night.

As for Fire Stock, I got to admit that while I've been a big defender of the program and such over the last few years, I'm starting to agree with everyone else. The football program is back sliding in every aspect. (Support, Attendance, Wins, Publicity, etc.) We are getting passed by some real burning dumpsters and that is concerning to me. We'll see but even I'm losing interest and I thought that would never happen.

Reactions: Hop45 and Predarat
I’m heading to see the Marshall game. Driving 6 hours. First game in ‘Boro since ‘13. I’ll be honest. I’m more excited about having a daddy/daughter road trip with my 20 year old and showing her campus for real this time. She was 8 last time she saw it.

I used to be obsessed with watching every game. I’d spend 20 min just to get the stream through hdmi from my laptop to tv. Now I just check the score on the app. Listen to Chip some. Although he and Wes especially have seriously been fed the Urzua kool-aid.

I just can’t get excited anymore. And that’s sad. Not for me but that fans are that way period. And I honestly don’t think anything will be done with CRS unless something is done with CM too.

Clark is legit and he out coached us last night.

So has Mason (×3), Kiffin, Brohm, etc... rinse and repeat. Year in, Year out.

JT, I believe it was you that posted in another thread that this has been a weird year for us. I gotta be honest, I think this is the typical year for us. 2009 was an outlier.

Even before Stock, you had the SEMO choke. Was the next season the FAU disaster? Missed extra point to lose against Missouri. Hicks gets hurt his senior year, and never fully recovered.

Then we get excited about the Stockstill hire. What happens next? Choke at home against Virginia. Weren't we WKU's first 1-A win? At Floyd no less. Choke against Troy at home. Follow up the hype of 2009 with Dasher not being able to pay his bookie. We get excited for big home games (like Vandy this year) only to $hit the bed. See Virginia, Miss St, Minnesota, Ga Tech, Vandy twice. At least with Andy Mac we could beat Vandy. We aren't even competitive anymore.

So what has Stock accomplished? Our only bowl win was against a mediocre program that is a mirror image of us. We beat a shitty Maryland team twice. We beat a bad Ga Tech team and an atrocious Missouri team. Those don't exactly move the needle. To be fair, the Syracuse win looks a little better after Friday. But we can't capitalize on it.

This is who we are. High expectations, guaranteed disappointment = lots of aluminum for home games. Like everyone else on this board, I love my school and proudly wear my blue shades. I have had football season tix for a decade now. I will not renew until a change is made. Basketball can't get here soon enough.

What bothers me the most is that we have a coach in his 12th season who still can't get it done. Here we are, 7 games into the season, and our chances of even playing in the CUSA title game are gone. Expectations for 2017 were a CUSA championship, or at least an appearance in the CUSA title game. That has to be the expectation for a coach in his 12th season who has never fielded the best team in the conference. At what point is enough enough? What the hell are we giving him contract extensions for? And why is he under contract for such a long time despite never fielding the best team in the conference over a 12 year period?

Has this ever even happened before in the history of FBS coaching? A head coach at a school for 12 years and never fields the best team in his conference (aka Conference Champions, NOT co-champions).

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's lunch but I'm curious about what scenarios can trigger the extension. What if we go 5-7, then go to a bowl, based on our APR?

Excerpt from old DNJ article regarding Stockstill delaying his base pay increase:

The new contract will extend automatically for one year if the team achieves three different criteria: an Academic Progress Rate of at least 940, winning more than half of its games or at least six conference games, and avoiding major NCAA violations while under Stockstill's guidance.

The previous arrangement stated the team only needed an overall winning record or five conference wins in addition to the other two conditions in order to garner a one-year extension. Stockstill had met the requirements in four of the previous five seasons.

"We wanted just a slight adjustment upward in terms of what our on-the-field performance was," Massaro said about the change

Based on how I read that, a bowl game doesn't factor into the automatic extension directly, unless I suppose if the team went 6-6 and then won a bowl game to finish 7-6.

Rumor is we are going to cut football and start a curling team here. They will start converting Floyd stadium right after the last game, a state of the art indoor facility. I am pretty excited about it and I think this is a legit rumor.

Reactions: C-Bow
The big difference between this season and years past is that the defense is better than the offense.

Shafer is a proven coordinator and the defense will be good as long as he is here.

This years offense, however, is an aberration. Urzua has simply made too many poor passing decisions for the offense to have consistent success.

That said, this team will win consistently when the QB play is consistently good

.... What the hell are we giving him contract extensions for?

Has this ever even happened before in the history of FBS coaching? A head coach at a school for 12 years and never fields the best team in his conference (aka Conference Champions, NOT co-champions).

CM set the bar at a high APR and .500 football.

Currently only Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern (Technically Kirk Ferentz has never won the big 10, but did win his Division and tie for first a few times).

This is deja vu- when KD made the NCAA in basketball for the first time, he was tied for the longest tenure at a FBS school (the 125 big schools) without an NCAA appearance besides Bill Carmondy at NW.

MT and NW, lofty expectations.

My question is who would we get. Massaro knows no one beyond South Carolina. Maybe Steve Spurrier Jr.? He's doing ok as an OC at WKU or maybe Joe Craddock who is doing pretty well at SMU as an OC. They are 4-2 right now. Beyond that, who would we get? What I'm saying is could we trust Massaro to get us the right person even if we did manage to make Stock walk the plank?

It's all a moot point because it's not happening.

Reactions: T2Tool
Massaro has to go, too. Can't leave the process of hiring a new coach in the hands of the guy who saddled us with the albatross contract he gave to Stockstill. Wish that Georgia State had hired him when he pursued that AD job.

CM set the bar at a high APR and .500 football.

Currently only Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern (Technically Kirk Ferentz has never won the big 10, but did win his Division and tie for first a few times).

This is deja vu- when KD made the NCAA in basketball for the first time, he was tied for the longest tenure at a FBS school (the 125 big schools) without an NCAA appearance besides Bill Carmondy at NW.

MT and NW, lofty expectations.

At least NW has an excuse for sucking. They're an academic institution playing in one of the most difficult conferences in football. Where's our excuse? We are at least on a level playing field with all the schools in our conference yet after 12 seasons we've never been the best team.

My question is who would we get. Massaro knows no one beyond South Carolina. Maybe Steve Spurrier Jr.? He's doing ok as an OC at WKU or maybe Joe Craddock who is doing pretty well at SMU as an OC. They are 4-2 right now. Beyond that, who would we get? What I'm saying is could we trust Massaro to get us the right person even if we did manage to make Stock walk the plank?

It's all a moot point because it's not happening.

At this point, we're on the Titanic, and anything that floats looks good to me.

Massaro has to go, too. Can't leave the process of hiring a new coach in the hands of the guy who saddled us with the albatross contract he gave to Stockstill. Wish that Georgia State had hired him when he pursued that AD job.

At this point I don’t care. I want someone someday that has some go go juice in them. As in go for it on 4and 2 with 20 seconds in the first half. As in go out in the town and counties and let the world know about MT football. Who will go out and recruit recruit recruit. Be an ambassador for the program and the school. Who oozes energy. I mean look at Fleck. How could you not like the guy?

Give me those things with Stock’s character and expectations of high APR and I’ll be happy.

At this point I don’t care. I want someone someday that has some go go juice in them. As in go for it on 4and 2 with 20 seconds in the first half. As in go out in the town and counties and let the world know about MT football. Who will go out and recruit recruit recruit. Be an ambassador for the program and the school. Who oozes energy. I mean look at Fleck. How could you not like the guy?

Give me those things with Stock’s character and expectations of high APR and I’ll be happy.
Manny Diaz

I think there is just a big disconnect between the athletic department and the fans. Just now I heard Chip on the radio make a commit that "we tend to eat our own" and have a "want it now" attitude - he is talking about the fan base. I have defended this coach, this program over and over. Then I heard the excuse of UAB being the 2nd oldest team in the country...geez, we blame everyone but ourselves. WE CANT EVEN SAY THERE IS A PROBLEM.

We have been waiting since 1999 for a championship. CRS is a fine man, but no one is expecting the impossible. We are not asking for 10 wins a season. We are not asking to beat top 10 teams, we are expecting that after 12 years we would have a system, a program that doesn't have to rebuild...I am at a loss.

MT needs to follow nebraska's blueprint after tom osborne retired...

I will say that in a chat I had with Austin - he pointed out some very interesting "outs" that MT would have in regards to Stocks buyout.

That said, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe after Brent leaves.

Want it now?" Hmmmm...I submit many of our current college students would seldom remember a Blue Raider football team vying for a championship into November. Our last time around was 2012. Our championship hopes and bowl date was quickly smashed at the hands of the Red Wolves of Arkansas State University 0-45 December 1st that year. That's is as close as we've been to a championship game. Two other games: Troy in 2006 (BTW today's freshmen would have been second graders) ended in heartbreak 20-21 and Arkansas State win 54-6 that clinched the co-Sun Belt Title with North Texas in 2001 (BTW today's freshmen would have been learning to walk). Don't forget that miracle comeback of 39-35 we scored against NMSU, after trailing 11-35 into the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, 2001 meant an 8-3 record and staying home from a bowl (and a 5-6 NT team went to the New Orleans Bowl). It's been 25 years (1992) since we had an outright championship...back to the OVC Days of Boots Donnelly and Kelly Holcomb. Even if one tries to paint a rosy picture with bowl appearances and one lone win, those are our facts as an FBS member through mid-2017. Not much to write home as the proverbial saying goes!

Is it really too much for fans to ask for to win one more often than a quarter century (or longer)? I think that's considerable chutzpah on the part of our athletic leadership and paid game commentators for suggesting fans to say "want it now" and "we tend to eat our own". No reason our school spirit feels more like the dentist office (some say funeral home) than a football game. As they say, wake up and smell the coffee!

How does the buyout work exactly? I assume we don't owe him the full amount of his contract immediately. If we owe it to him over the life of the contracts remaining years why cant we just play an extra money game to cover it each year. It would be worth it to finally rid ourselves of this awful deal. Plus, I think the fans prefer a schedule with more opportunities to knock off the "big boys".

ADVERTISEMENT