ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Fall Camp Storylines and discussion

Sounds to me like Randall Johnson is nowhere near what they were hoping. I foresee a redshirt year for him this year if that's a possibility and we'll roll with O'Hara and Cunningham at #1 and #2. I feel quite good about both of them to be honest.

And hopefully down the road the game will slow down for Johnson and he will start making better, quicker decisions. Or he might just be a bust.

I like this conversation from TF though. He said these are the best WR and RB's we've had since he's been here, and then talks about the strength of our offense being the OL. So he likes the WR/RB/OL groups very much.....so if we can find a QB who can play we really might have a team this year because our defense is gonna be great.

Sounds to me like Randall Johnson is nowhere near what they were hoping. I foresee a redshirt year for him this year if that's a possibility and we'll roll with O'Hara and Cunningham at #1 and #2. I feel quite good about both of them to be honest.

And hopefully down the road the game will slow down for Johnson and he will start making better, quicker decisions. Or he might just be a bust.

I like this conversation from TF though. He said these are the best WR and RB's we've had since he's been here, and then talks about the strength of our offense being the OL. So he likes the WR/RB/OL groups very much.....so if we can find a QB who can play we really might have a team this year because our defense is gonna be great.
100% agree with you. Cannot blame the guy for not picking up the concepts in a month. If he has it upstairs like he does physically he will start for us sooner than later. Asher is good enough if we are truly that strong everywhere else in offense. We need to take advantage of having these coordinators.

100% agree with you. Cannot blame the guy for not picking up the concepts in a month. If he has it upstairs like he does physically he will start for us sooner than later. Asher is good enough if we are truly that strong everywhere else in offense. We need to take advantage of having these coordinators.

He should be able to pick up the concept, as a QB. It's not like it's a hard system to learn. He could've ordered the DVD.

He should be able to pick up the concept, as a QB. It's not like it's a hard system to learn. He could've ordered the DVD.
Maybe so, but he did not play football for 3 years after HS if the information online is correct and played two years at a JUCO. I am sure things are a lot different at this level than he is used to. He is also competing against two guys that have been in the system and are used to playing (practicing) at this level. I just know he improved a lot from his freshman to sophomore years and it may just take him a little time. He could also never see the field. Maybe they will use him like Florida used Tebow his freshman year in goal line situations.

Maybe so, but he did not play football for 3 years after HS if the information online is correct and played two years at a JUCO. I am sure things are a lot different at this level than he is used to. He is also competing against two guys that have been in the system and are used to playing (practicing) at this level. I just know he improved a lot from his freshman to sophomore years and it may just take him a little time. He could also never see the field. Maybe they will use him like Florida used Tebow his freshman year in goal line situations.

CR makes a great point. I, like many were enamored with his size and physical attributes and thought he would come in and dominate. It's kind of refreshing that he hasn't which also speaks volumes about Asher and his ability to handle pressure. I still think he could catch up with Asher if he gets the offense down more but having someone who has already played real time in a big game and has improved since is key for us.

Franklin is high on our OL. Im surprised. On paper we don't look that good. Based on what Franklin has said.....I predict we are in the conference championship game again this year. O'Hara can extend plays nicely but can he pass? I didn't see it last year. Then again....he couldn't have a better teacher. Love Franklins transparency.

Reactions: playersu12
Franklin is high on our OL. Im surprised. On paper we don't look that good. Based on what Franklin has said.....I predict we are in the conference championship game again this year. O'Hara can extend plays nicely but can he pass? I didn't see it last year. Then again....he couldn't have a better teacher. Love Franklins transparency.

4th and 10 and he found Lee to keep the drive alive proved a lot to me. He threw the pick to end it but the play drawn up wasn't good either.

Reactions: Blue_H
Do we have any idea what newcomers look good so far in camp? I know our DNJ coverage has turned to s*** but for the love of God I can't believe there hasn't been anything of note yet.

Goodness. What happened to the roster? We actually have more offensive linemen than receivers. A ratio that's been out of whack too long.

No one else shocked by that number?

Reactions: MTsumner92
Goodness. What happened to the roster? We actually have more offensive linemen than receivers. A ratio that's been out of whack too long.

No one else shocked by that number?

....and a lot of them are 3 star OL as well.

I know we are not out of the woods yet, but this been the quietest off-season I can remember, in a good way. Any major injuries or arrests? No scandals or kids quitting.

If we can appreciate anything, its that Stock is good at keeping his guys focused it seems.

Agreed Frank! Best looking preseason thread in a long time. Going to be fun to watch this season and team. Hard to beat a season with a home conference championship game but I think these boys can do it!

Gilstrap teaching meaning behind "D-Boys":
Middle Tennessee's defense has been impressive throughout camp so far, and the play of the defensive backs is big reason why.

The backs have picked off multiple balls daily, it seems, including interceptions by Justin Brown and Marcus LaFrance in the first scrimmage and Chris Stamps and Jovante Moffatt on Saturday.

This line in the article kind of helps me through the noise on our quarterbacks. We are throwing a lot of interceptions. Just tempering our expectations a little bit.

Reactions: mtfblue
Gilstrap teaching meaning behind "D-Boys":
Middle Tennessee's defense has been impressive throughout camp so far, and the play of the defensive backs is big reason why.

The backs have picked off multiple balls daily, it seems, including interceptions by Justin Brown and Marcus LaFrance in the first scrimmage and Chris Stamps and Jovante Moffatt on Saturday.

This line in the article kind of helps me through the noise on our quarterbacks. We are throwing a lot of interceptions. Just tempering our expectations a little bit.

True but Gilstrap was a hell of a hire. He knows how to get his guys into postion and how to read QB's. Y'all remember that pick he had vs. GT in 2012? That 6'5 WR was wide open and Strap closed the gap, broke up the catch and picked it while returning it to the GT18 yd line.

Dude is a beast. Now he's a DB coaching beast. Great hire.

Reactions: MTsumner92
True but Gilstrap was a hell of a hire. He knows how to get his guys into postion and how to read QB's. Y'all remember that pick he had vs. GT in 2012? That 6'5 WR was wide open and Strap closed the gap, broke up the catch and picked it while returning it to the GT18 yd line.

Dude is a beast. Now he's a DB coaching beast. Great hire.
He is a former beast DB coaching current beast DB's.

Two months from now this board is going to look so different as it undergoes a nuclear meltdown after we start 1-7.

Its been on melt down for most of the last 3-4 years when we don't win enough...heck, not that many fans left to piss off.

I think its very possible we do start 1-7...we usually win a lot at the end of the season, so I actually predict a 2-6 start and then we finish strong.

...Offensive line: With injuries limiting MT's only returning offensive line starters Josh Fannin and Amir Luckett this offseason, plenty of opportunities to step up have been given to new faces in the trenches.

Don't be surprised to see an entirely different line this season, made up of tackles Will Gilchrist (R-Jr.) and Robert Jones (Jr., Highland Community College transfer), guards Eric Seay (R-So.) and Marcus Greer (R-Fr.), and center Jack Mitchell (R-Sr.).....

goblueraiders.com:

Saturday notebook; Camp wrapping up

Do we have a 2 deep yet?

CRS: "We haven't made any final decisions yet — we don't have a two-deep, either. We don't have to decide who's going to start at left guard or right guard or quarterback or middle linebacker … until Saturday. They didn't release theirs, so we're not going to release ours. Like I said, I like our team and where we're at."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT