Key dates
  • Aug 1: Players report
  • Aug 10: First scrimmage
  • Aug. 17: Second scrimmage
  • Aug. 21: Annual Beanie Bowl
  • Aug. 24: Fan Night starting at 7 p.m.
  • Aug. 26: First Game Week begins
  • Aug. 26: First day of classes

I'm really surprised that Maurice Gordon is still on the team... maybe he will do something this year other than get the teams most improved running back award...

2019 (r-Senior)
• Earned the team’s most improved running back award following spring practice

2018 (r-Junior)
• Played in nine games
• Had 17 carries for 41 yards on the season
• Named the team’s Most Improved Running Back following spring drills
• Had four carries for 27 yards at Vanderbilt
• Injured and did not play against UT-Martin, Georgia, FAU or Marshall
• Had five carries at UTEP and against UAB

2017 (Junior)
• Led team with 26 rushing yards on seven carries against Vanderbilt
• Did not play the rest of the season to take a redshirt year

Got a DII transfer QB from Bemidji State in Minnesota

ALEC OGDEN 6-4 / 194, Sophomore
  • HOMETOWN

Marshall, WI

2018 (Freshman)
• Appeared in nine games with four starts for Bemidji State
• Completed 78 of 145 passes for 1,132 yards and 15 touchdowns
• Also had 34 yards rushing and one touchdown

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I’m beginning to wonder if these D-II and JC transfer QBs are coming from “parts unknown” schools that bought and paid for The Tony Franklin System?
https://tonyfranklinfootball.com/

b2ypXXhC_400x400.jpg

Key dates
  • Aug 1: Players report
  • Aug 10: First scrimmage
  • Aug. 17: Second scrimmage
  • Aug. 21: Annual Beanie Bowl
  • Aug. 24: Fan Night starting at 7 p.m.
  • Aug. 26: First Game Week begins
  • Aug. 26: First day of classes
I really like the fact they have made it fan night now. It will be more comfortable and enjoyable than than baking in the sun.

Got a DII transfer QB from Bemidji State in Minnesota

ALEC OGDEN 6-4 / 194, Sophomore
  • HOMETOWN

Marshall, WI

2018 (Freshman)
• Appeared in nine games with four starts for Bemidji State
• Completed 78 of 145 passes for 1,132 yards and 15 touchdowns
• Also had 34 yards rushing and one touchdown

Small world. I live in Bemidji and their D2 program is decent. Last year finished 7-4 in a pretty difficult conference. However, I never watched him play. Interesting that he transferred as the this year's fall camp #1 is a senior.

A little game film for those interested (by little I mean 45 seconds)

Last edited:
If one of our highlights is a D2 transfer QB we are in for a interesting season......but we do have a beer garden....

Reactions: C-Bow
If one of our highlights is a D2 transfer QB we are in for a interesting season......but we do have a beer garden....

Not sure I would call it a highlight. Just a late addition to the team that was mentioned. Not sure we even gave him a scholarship.

Last edited:
Reactions: playersu12
Those are my feelings too. Johnson has the size and good throwing motion but Ohara has been here a year longer and knows the system. I was hoping Johnson would come in and light it up but, that might not be happening.

Last edited:
Franklin said this and I like it!

“The thing that I felt like with this group is that they have the potential to be the most physical group I've coached since I’ve been here,” Franklin said. “They play hard, like each other, and that’s what they’ve shown so far. We’ve got several guys that can play, and right now they’re playing some good football.”

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
When reading the defensive breakdown article I noticed that our lineman have shrunk? Also....Manciel is obviously committed to weighing 250. Weirdest thing I have seen in a while. Im starting to worry about our strength coach. Should I be?

When reading the defensive breakdown article I noticed that our lineman have shrunk?

Remember, half the D-Line are true freshman and 2 are redshirt freshman so that's probably bringing the average weight down (overall) as these guys have some time to mature, but that's ~1/2 of the D-Line roster.

Manciel is obviously committed to weighing 250. Weirdest thing I have seen in a while. Im starting to worry about our strength coach.

Well the philosophy of the D-Line "is to trample the run on the way to the quarterback", in Conference USA, which is a passing conference, we're probably wanting faster guys to mount a pass rush rather than the 303lbs run stoppers. So it's probably more related to player age and defensive philosophy then strength coach.

Remember, half the D-Line are true freshman and 2 are redshirt freshman so that's probably bringing the average weight down (overall) as these guys have some time to mature. But that's ~1/2 of the D-Line roster.

Well the philosophy of the D-Line "is to trample the run on the way to the quarterback", in Conference USA which is a passing conference we're probably wanting faster guys to mount a pass rush rather than the 303lbs run stoppers. So it's probably more related to player age and defensive philosophy then strength coach.

The Freshman are what is helping the weight avg, as they are bigger. I don't care the philosphy, you can't play DT at 250 and be effective. If a coach doesn't see that and line up and smash you, that is a bad coach

The Freshman are what is helping the weight avg, as they are bigger.

Technically incorrect, they average 256.5 lbs and the upperclassman are 267.

I don't care the philosphy, you can't play DT at 250 and be effective.

Dwight Freeney played in the NFL at ~265 lbs. Boise State's 2011 team (which was Top 10) had 262 & 267lbs DE's...the DT and NG's were in the 300's however our DT's / NG's are ~ the same weight.

If a coach doesn't see that and line up and smash you, that is a bad coach

Comes down to first step and penetration which is the great equalizer of weight. If you disrupt the backfield it doesn't really matter what the O-Line is doing because the runner isn't going to make it to the hole (he might run somewhere else but not as designed).

If you want read the below article or watch the game, some talks about how a Boise DE is giving up 87 lbs how are they going to do...final score Boise 35 UGA 21.

pregame UGA vs Boise State Pundit talk

2011 Georgia vs Boise State

Reactions: Blue_H
FCS schools have bigger Dline's than this one.

That doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of unathletic fat kids to choose from on O-Line and D-Line, doesn't mean they can play. I'll be honest if you look at the guys that Alabama recruits they are about the same size (Will Anderson WDE 233lbs, Chris Braswell WDE 220lbs, Jah-Marien Latham DT, 280lbs, Justin Ebolgbe SDE 263lbs), sure there are some monsters that they get like Jayson Jones DT 340lbs and Timothy Smith DT 340lbs but that's just Alabama, you can't get athletic guys in that size range (and they will probably cut weight) but Alabama can.

If you look at 2018 we were 34th in biggest D-Lines and Clemson was 50th...bigger isn't always better.

Biggest Defensive Lines in College Football 2018

Reactions: Blue_H
That doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of unathletic fat kids to choose from on O-Line and D-Line, doesn't mean they can play. I'll be honest if you look at the guys that Alabama recruits they are about the same size (Will Anderson WDE 233lbs, Chris Braswell WDE 220lbs, Jah-Marien Latham DT, 280lbs, Justin Ebolgbe SDE 263lbs), sure there are some monsters that they get like Jayson Jones DT 340lbs and Timothy Smith DT 340lbs but that's just Alabama, you can't get athletic guys in that size range (and they will probably cut weight) but Alabama can.

If you look at 2018 we were 34th in biggest D-Lines and Clemson was 50th...bigger isn't always better.

Biggest Defensive Lines in College Football 2018

I know Will and he will play OLB just like everyone else at Bama. I'm not talking DE's, I'm talking size up the middle.

ADVERTISEMENT