ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Exhibition: Cumberlands, 6:30PM, Monday, October 30, 2023

So, uhh, I think Anastasia Boldyreva is pretty good...

Cumberlands is a Top 25 NAIA team, so they're not exactly as much of a pushover as UT Southern.

Also Dick Palmer, Iulia's name is NOT "Grabovsky" - it is Grabovskaia... grab-ov-sky-uh.

EDIT: Lol, as the game as gone on, he's dropped more letters... "Grabosky" now... 🤦‍♂️. I'm sure he'll get it right soon but it's funny

Last edited:
I just caught the tail end of post game comments where the radio crew said Boldyreva was being set up more tonight. Her offensive output last year was on the minimum side game in & game out. How much did she score tonight?

I think 24. In an early practice this year, they concentrated a lot on getting the ball into the bigs.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Yeah, it is the focus of the offense this year per the post game comments. She had 24pt, 8reb, 2blk. High shooting percentage.

Definitely glad to see the coaching staff's concentrating on getting the ball inside. If Boldyreva can become a consistent double digit scorer it will make for a much more complete & dangerous team. Can't wait for Jada to get back from surgery. To have 2 viable point guards with her & Wheeler pushing the ball will be huge. When she gets back hopefully we can have a solid 8 player rotation. This makes for a lot of it's, but if all those things can come about we can be a better & more complete team than last year.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Hopefully her performance was not just because she towered over all of their players. Dont understand why in such a game CRI does not empty his bench and let some of these ladies get some PT since they likely will get none when season starts. But that is his MO.

I think it was partly because she does tower over others. She also did that last year with shorter teams. Cumberland had one 6'4'' player, but she fouled or threw the ball away every time she got in the game. That being said, she did seem to be more aggressive and was banking her shots inside more consistently than she did last year. I think because they are getting ready for Memphis next week, he was less likely to let others play. In exhibition games in the past, that was about the only time he let some play. I really hope Jada can contribute this year. Even if she practices, she doesn't look to be in great shape.

Hopefully her performance was not just because she towered over all of their players. Dont understand why in such a game CRI does not empty his bench and let some of these ladies get some PT since they likely will get none when season starts. But that is his MO.
I agree. The radio crew said that the coaches planned to play this like a real game in preparation for Memphis. CRI mentioned post game he could tell some of the players were tired by game's end, but he knew this would happen. I predict once again our 1st 5 will be exhausted by February with little left in the tank come tournament time. Some of our 1st 5 played around 35 minutes, in an exhibition game against lower level competition. No other coach does this. Just maybe the assistants can get coach to go with an 8 player rotation during the season instead of his preferred 6 or 7.
I still anticipate we'll be regular season Champs, but my fear is continued post season issues. Fingers crossed for the players this season. They work extremely hard.

Speaking of radio, we couldn't find a broadcast after the game. Who was broadcasting it?

Top 5 are obvious
--
Savannah
Courtney
Jaylen
Anastasia
Ta'Mia
--
Sifa Ineza
Iulia (They are working with her a lot in game so she knows where she should be on defense and in the offense. She can eventually contribute a lot)
Jada Granam
--
Jada Harrison - eventually (she is good, but they will bring her along slowly)
Gracie Dodson
--
As they get experience some of the other 3 transfers may contribute, but it will take a lot to break into the top 7-8.
I agree that there are times he forgets about some players on the bench. Matt will remind him at times. With transfers the way they are now, they are going to have to play people a little more.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Can listen to post game comments or full through your phone on this page. Scroll up to Space's post dated 5:28 pm yesterday from goblueraiders.com. just click on demand, & scroll to how far deep you want to go into broadcast.

Wanted to throw my two cents in after watching both exhibitions. I was a bit surprised too by the lack of bench use but like was said, that is typical CRI.

I will just say that if we stay healthy, we will be very, very dangerous. As usual, the pre-conference schedule is challenging. Should help us grow. On most nights I would imagine our size is going to present nightmares for opposing coaches. Yes, we all know about Anastasiia but 6'5" Iullia Grabovskaia is going to get some solid minutes and is an immovable object in the post. Give her some time and confidence and she will be hard to contain. She struggled a bit with touch but she has goods hands and moves well for someone her size. Oh, and we have 6'3" Jada Grannum who logged some minutes and 6'4" Meioshe Mason who probably won't see the floor much but on that night where the refs call everything, she is an able big body that no one is going to push around inside.

Sifa Ineza is solid. She might not score double digits but I'll virtually guarantee she scores off a steal every game . She's super quick and athletic.

We all know what we have with Wheeler, Whitson and Gregory. And I feel like once the wheels really get going, Tamia Scott will be a All-Conference type player. She has the tools.

Anxious to see where Jada Harrison fits into all this. From everything I've heard, when she steps on the floor, she is the best player on it. Pretty high praise but a lot of talent on this team and we know how Insel splits minutes. My hope is it's enough to keep everyone happy.

Saw pretty much everyone else play at least a bit in game one. Gracie Dodgen can be deadly beyond the arc, but the knee and speed will limit her. One thing she does have is heart and I admire that. Need that example for many of her other young teammates.

So, we'll see. I love this team. I loved last years too. Until we take that next step I will take a "wait until you show me approach" but I will make a few predictions.

CUSA Champs - absolutely. It's hard to run the table but if they stay healthy this team will be tough to beat in the conference. That said, we will also have a big target on our back and take everyone's best shot.

Savannah Wheeler will log a triple-double one game. She can score and pass but the kid can also rebound. Often one of the shortest players on the floor, she can and will go get that ball. It is possible.

Anastassia will go for 40+ one night. She might go for two the next but she has some touch and can score inside and out. Catch her on a night that she is knocking them down and they are feeding her, she will dominate.

Not sure what the season 3 point record is but Jalynn Gregory will break it. She looks like a well oiled athletic machine.

Tis the season. It is time to tip it off Monday. I like that we have a focus game early. This team is mature enought to handle it. Last year we had Mercer and knew it would be a cake walk. That attitude cost us. Time to start on the right foot and kick some Tiger tail.

Very exciting, and a great recap of the exhibitions. Also just to note Jada Harrison had surgery not long ago so she is still recovering from that. I imagine she'll fit into the rotation quickly once she's back at full speed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT