ADVERTISEMENT

Does Middle want to continue the Vandy series ?

Aug 12, 2017
Hi -

I'm still somewhat of a new poster so please don't shoot me if this has already been discussed ad naseum. Does MTSU consider this Vandy football series a huge rivalry? If the answer is yes - which I suspect - is there great interest in seeing it continue beyond next season? I noticed in the future schedules that after next season, there are no future games scheduled between the two teams.

I am also a little confused by the negative tone of the Vandy program on this board? Obviously you want to win the game and feel like you have the better talent but why would Vandy - a perennial SEC doormat - be a threat to anyone? Is it the fans - which you are saying there are very few that support the program? Isn't that a little like hating the Jacksonville Jaguars - who cares about them, they aren't relevant? Can someone elaborate.

Look, it's not a rival as much of a local interest opportunity with ease of travel for both teams and fans. Money maker with good media buildup. Why not play it?

fwiw, I think the MT vs Vandy series should be continue in both football and basketball. It seems like they've played each other in baseball forever...a good thing. I think women's basketball is the most rare of the group, but I'm not the expert on that series. Echoing blueraiderJT above, local interest, ease of travel, boosted ooc attendance makes it a game that would seem to benefit both programs.

I wouldn't consider Vandy MT's top rivalry. Although, the title of a local rivalry seems to fit. A home and home with a SEC team for MT one would expect MT fans to almost be rabid about scheduling such a rivalry, the thing is, it's Vandy. It's not exactly like your mainstream SEC team. At least in football that is. In basketball, Vandy is a mainstream SEC program IMO. I would hope that MT and Vandy could continue that series.

Not sure where the question or topic of Vandy being a SEC doormat is going or is about? Obviously in football, Bama they are not. Until about 5 or 6 years ago, I would say that would be true of Vandy being the football doormat. While they still are not dominating the SEC in football, they are managing to pick up a few wins a season. My point in all of this is that Vandy's overall football history is not that impressive. The last handful of years, they are more competitive (and beating MT) to once again at least make playing Vandy a more appealing local rival. So for two local programs that have out of conference games with empty seats, it would make total sense and benefit each to play each other in ooc as the MT vs Vandy game usually draws better home attendance for each compared to other typical ooc games.

I think a lot of the resentment and trash talk seen around here stems from two issues. Younger people i.e. teenage and college aged fans usually resort to the sort of trash talk that Vandy should not play MTSU as Vandy and Vandy's people are somehow superior human beings to MTSU people by virtue of attending or otherwise being associated with Vanderbilt. With older fans, that attitude creeps in along the lines of superior SEC vs inferior C-USA. Then I think frustration on MT fans part also stems from the hesitancy and inconsistency in scheduling games. Sometimes it seems Vandy is more willing to schedule MT when Vandy is having some "up" years. Then when some down years for Vandy occur, it seems Vandy loses interest in scheduling.

After MT won a few football games vs Vandy, it was a good 10 years before Vandy would play MT again. Of course when they became interested in playing football again was when they were having some of the best years in their football program's history. Basketball has been the same. They've been fairly willing to play MT when Vandy has been successful and MT was mediocre. Now that MT has outstanding basketball and is starting to beat Vandy, the new coach for the Vandy at MTSU game last year says he didn't schedule the game and wouldn't have scheduled the game. The only reason he was there is because of the already agreed contract. He suggested beyond the contract, he didn't want to play MT especially at MT. Again, it's just sort of irritating and frustrating when it can be a good ooc local rivalry to boost attendance and local interest instead of hit and miss scheduling.

If/when the Vandy fans start posting on here, you'll see why there's a negative tone. It may only be about 10 people (so roughly .5% of their fan base) but they still annoy the ____ out of me.

If/when the Vandy fans start posting on here, you'll see why there's a negative tone. It may only be about 10 people (so roughly .5% of their fan base) but they still annoy the ____ out of me.

Uhhhhhh ... I'm a Vandy fan and I started the thread. :( I think the comments so far have been very insightful as I thought MT considered this a bigger rival than I have heard thus far. It sounds like this is simply a series that is of interest because these two programs are located in the same geographical area. I'm not saying Vandy fan's can not be annoying, I'm saying that the program isn't typically relevant in their own conference and(in football) and the number of fans is small - so what does it matter? Bring Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Ole Miss and then you will know what annoying fans really act like.

Uhhhhhh ... I'm a Vandy fan and I started the thread. :( I think the comments so far have been very insightful as I thought MT considered this a bigger rival than I have heard thus far. It sounds like this is simply a series that is of interest because these two programs are located in the same geographical area. I'm not saying Vandy fan's can not be annoying...... Bring Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Ole Miss and then you will know what annoying fans really act like.

Completely disagree with your assessment of fanbases.

I follow 2 schools....MT and Mississippi State. I have been to every SEC stadium besides A&M and Missouri for a Miss State game. I have seen MT play almost every SEC team.

The worst fanbase in the SEC toward MSU fans is LSU. But a close 2nd worst fanbase is Vandy fans at a MT game.

Besides a Gator fan doing the chomp at a group of MT fans as we walked by and a little UT fan trash talk at a basketball game, I have never had any other SEC fanbase talk trash except Vandy fans - which do it every time. I have had Florida, UGA, and Alabama fans give me food (and beer in Gainesville) and invite me in their tent to watch other games.

Vandy fans are the only SEC schools that comes in masses to a C-USA message board to talk trash after a win. The ONLY SEC fanbase with multiple fans doing it. It's one thing if a MT fan is on

So yeah, based on multiple experiences, your fanbase sucks. If it weren't for a bunch of drunk cajuns or battery throwing WVU hillbillies, Vandy would be the worst I have experienced.

As for the series, I don't consider Vanderbilt a rival at all. I like MT playing interstate games. I would like to see MT play a rotating home and home with Vanderbilt, Memphis, and Tennessee.

That was a very interesting read ... RaiderDaw78. I am sorry that you have had such negative experiences around the Vandy fanbase. TBH - The dynamics of a Vandy fan have been changing since the James Franklin days as they are becoming more mainstream ... not just the typical Vandy arrogance. Your experiences are the first I have ever read like that and it embarrasses me that Vandy fans would act like that given the history of Vandy football.

I will, however, put my negative experiences with other SEC fanbases against your negative Vandy fanbase experiences. For starters, I have been spit on, had objects thrown at me and been verbally assaulted multiple times in Knoxville. I had an Auburn fan come after me because I asked for my seat back after she moved her family into our area. I have had some really bad episodes with drunk Florida fans, etc.... The SEC is filled with really bad fan bases IMHO and I can't stand the thought of Vandy fitting in with that bunch. If you have seen my last few posts, I am an MTSU grad (two degrees) with 3 children having attended the university as I am very conflicted about this series. I am very much moving in the direction of being an MT fan as it feels a much more natural fit for me and my family.

Uhhhhhh ... I'm a Vandy fan and I started the thread. :( I think the comments so far have been very insightful as I thought MT considered this a bigger rival than I have heard thus far. It sounds like this is simply a series that is of interest because these two programs are located in the same geographical area. I'm not saying Vandy fan's can not be annoying, I'm saying that the program isn't typically relevant in their own conference and(in football) and the number of fans is small - so what does it matter? Bring Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Ole Miss and then you will know what annoying fans really act like.
And Kentucky. They are a miserable lot.

And Kentucky. They are a miserable lot.

Yea, I was going to add that KY was sorely missing from this discussion of large amounts of obnoxious fans who possess that superior attitude. I've said it over and over, I could see their confidence and being proud of basketball, but it's football they are so obnoxious about. KY....football?!

That was a very interesting read ... RaiderDaw78. I am sorry that you have had such negative experiences around the Vandy fanbase. TBH - The dynamics of a Vandy fan have been changing since the James Franklin days as they are becoming more mainstream ... not just the typical Vandy arrogance. Your experiences are the first I have ever read like that and it embarrasses me that Vandy fans would act like that given the history of Vandy football.

I will, however, put my negative experiences with other SEC fanbases against your negative Vandy fanbase experiences. For starters, I have been spit on, had objects thrown at me and been verbally assaulted multiple times in Knoxville. I had an Auburn fan come after me because I asked for my seat back after she moved her family into our area. I have had some really bad episodes with drunk Florida fans, etc.... The SEC is filled with really bad fan bases IMHO and I can't stand the thought of Vandy fitting in with that bunch. If you have seen my last few posts, I am an MTSU grad (two degrees) with 3 children having attended the university as I am very conflicted about this series. I am very much moving in the direction of being an MT fan as it feels a much more natural fit for me and my family.

Well that settles it. MTSU grad x2? It's an easy call. There are so many MTSU alums in the Nashville-Murfreesboro area. If MT could just get even a moderately small to medium amount of the alums to consistently come out for games, it would be such a tremendous boost to the program.

A lot of alums and area sports fans in general find it easy to dismiss MT football for usual reasons of not being a P5 or a Top25 contender that lacks the consistent 10+ wins a season. The general sports fans, including MT alums, end up choosing to go to other P5 teams' games in the region on gameday. Meanwhile, sadly, MT remains mired in a harsh uphill battle to try to establish the program with more success. What I find disheartening about the situation is that there are a lot of talented good student-athletes representing the university that work really hard to scratch and claw for even a little improvement for MT that so many alums hardly acknowledge much less attend or support.

I contend that if even a reasonably moderate amount of MT alums in the Middle Tennessee area attend MT football games, their attendance and support would help MT achieve new levels of success and recognition. Following are some ways MT alum actually attending would help:

Most any coach and player will tell you that good home crowds helps the team get up and improve chances for winning home games.

More attendance and excitement in stands attracts recruits attention. A lot of young recruits can be impressed and influenced by a crowded excited stadium. That's what most of those kids dream of playing in front of on gameday.

More attendance and good crowd with excitement will definitely get the tv networks to notice for the all important time when they select which games and locations they want to broadcast in the upcoming season.

Better networks and national broadcasts pay the conference and university more and allow for the program to garner more recognition. This especially helps with potential recruits again as potential recruits see and learn of MT in various regions around the country.

More alums attending games = more $$ for the program, i.e. tickets & concessions. Eventually some move on to direct financial support through donations etc.

More $$ = better facilities. Better facilities = better trained and prepared student-athletes. Better facilities = improved recruiting. All of these improvements help a program grow and achieve greater success.

More $$$ from the increased attendance, donations, and improved media revenues allows for the athletic dept to improve pay to acquire and/or retain better quality coaches. Included in this is the oft overlooked asst coaches. Programs at this level often struggle with stability due to high turnover of asst coaches due to inability to compete financially for the quality asst coaches.

More $$$ allows for the coaches to have an improved recruiting budget. Better recruiting budget helps in the highly competitive battle for the life blood of Div1 athletics....recruits....more and better recruits.

So many of the alums that go to other "more relevant" or "bigger" games seem to be overlooking that their attendance and support of their own school could seriously help their alma mater grow, improve, and achieve higher levels of success including further recognition and respect. Plus, it's my experience that it is so much better, exciting, satisfying, and enjoyable when you support and ride along as the underdog from nowhere to breakthrough to big wins, success, and championships. MT basketball has been a perfect example of that.

Extremely rare is the program that can push through on it's own by the sheer force of will, hard work, intelligence, experience, and skill to achieve that higher or next level of success without the big support and crowds. We at MT are incredibly blessed to be in that situation with Kermit and the basketball program. There are so few programs around the country that can breakthrough to national success without already having the big home crowds and resultant revenues. Gradually, the crowds and attendance seem to be catching up to the basketball program. Admittedly, there is still a ways to go for MT to get to the place the team deserves in a packed house for every home game.

In summary it is my opinion that MT alums have the power and ability to help the football program breakthrough to higher and greater levels of success. MT alums just have to choose to come out to their alma mater's games instead of going to or watching other area or regional schools' games that are at the same time as MT.

Lastly, I'm like a lot of others on here. My undergrad degree is from MT. I went to grad school elsewhere, UT. So while I may enjoy watching and cheering some of the UT football games, MT is clearly my team and it's not even close. I have no desire to choose a UT game over a MT game, and I want MT to beat the snot out of UT whenever MT plays UT. If MT isn't playing, then I might watch and cheer for UT to beat Bama or Florida etc.

I think both schools and their fan bases need to examine why this game which was such an event when first played with near capacity crowds (and huge traveling MT fans) is now so ho-hum.

The changes which have occurred in media coverage, fan attendance in general, and the excitement of the newness of MT in big-boy FB have diminished the importance of playing the game. A lot of changes in the sports landscape during the years it was not played. (as an side, what would the game be like if both schools had made it a priority to play every year and make every effort to create an event? Could it have become a major don't miss event for the entire mid-state?)

Regardless, admitting the game is probably more important to MT than VU I will not be upset if the series is not continued rather than be the embarrassment of 75% capacity crowds at both venues.

Yea, I was going to add that KY was sorely missing from this discussion of large amounts of obnoxious fans who possess that superior attitude. I've said it over and over, I could see their confidence and being proud of basketball, but it's football they are so obnoxious about. KY....football?!

Over the years that I have moderated a board, I would say that the number of posters that I have had to remove posting privileges, the percentage would be at least 50% UK fans and probably approach 80%, and we haven't played UK in football in a long long time. But there was one instance where a large renegade contingent was going to different G5 rivals boards seven or eight years ago taking them over and posting a lot of crap and I ended up banning at least a dozen if not more.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I love that this thread soliciting so many opinions. I spoke with my daughter (Sr. at MTSU) today and we are going to bring some other family members and be MTSU fans during this (MT-VU) game. It's a big deal for me since I have been a Vandy fan since I was very young. Yes I do own some MT gear so I will experience this game from the home side and go from there. We are already planning to attend the FIU (Homecoming) game in October and travel to Bowling Green in November so I look forward to meeting the passionate MT fans. Perhaps you won't tell me to sit down every 5 minutes as my fellow Vandy fans do.

You gotta do the Marshall game too. It's Oct. 20th on a Friday night. Blackout game! The FIU game will be good. Butch Davis coaches them now so a former big time coach rollin in.

Dang I wrote a book in that earlier post. I didn't realize just how long that was until I just scrolled past it now a day later.

The point mentioned in this thread about MT vs Vandy losing some interest over the years is a good point imo. One wonders what the series might look like now had the two kept playing over the years.

Then again, it's not looking like the Vandy fans are much on traveling to away games even if those games are just a few miles away.

Also, I was wondering if it was just me or not, but I'm not hearing or seeing much of any media attention for the game now that it's just a couple weeks away. Maybe it's another era in Nashville now?

While I think the game makes sense as a good ooc game, it seems like our rivalry games vs WKU, Marshall, and UAB are way bigger games and rivalries for MT these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT