ADVERTISEMENT

DL

TeKEraider

All Conference
Dec 29, 2006
gave up 139 yards rushing. That lowers their average slightly. Fau will be a test but you have to be blind not to see the improvement.

I think defense is #2 against the run in the conference? I dont get the hate towards West. I have my issues with the defense but our D-Line is not one of them. I also believe we are ranked fairly high in red zone defense too. We've had a good bit of impressive goal line stands since he has been here.

Reactions: TeKEraider
FWIW, I don't have too many complaints with the defense overall. I think they're improving. It seems they have been recruiting size and strength better (same for both lines). Which I might add, has not even had the time to fully develop the results of that recruiting. Obviously, LBs and DBs are really pretty good. I hate the thought of losing Barber and Byard at the end of the season. X Walker and C Luckett are way underrated CBs seem to be doing ok. I would expect to see Byard and Barber playing for NFL teams next year. I would think X Walker would have NFL teams interested with his size and especially length in addition to his overall improved play the last couple of seasons.

One of my only complaints is that MT still seems to be struggling in getting to QBs. They appear better this year in seeming to be getting closer to QBs with at least some occasional pressure. It does seem though that MT still struggles getting to QBs despite bringing some blitzes. The DL does seem to hold their own on run defense. The DTs seem to do a fair job of gumming up the middle of the line on run plays. That's improvement as it seems for years the DL would get pushed around on run plays.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
We are not getting to the QB, period. This was the difference in years past, specifically 2009 - we were a bend,don't break D that used pressure and big plays.

Against a good team, we still get pushed around. But yes, we are getting bigger on the DL.

I don't disagree but I also believe that the game has changed. It's all about getting the ball out quick. We get less sacks and we give up less sacks. We used to play several pro-style offenses a year. I don't think we have played one this year. Marshall cut half the time so it's really hard to get sacks. I do think we are thin at DE and think we need to get better there. We are starting a walk on that was a high school wide receiver. That 2009 team had two NFL DEs. Bailey should have been a boost but so far it hasn't panned out. Hale has been a pleasant surprise though so maybe it's a wash. Our improvement in the run game is what has me excited. If we can just get our offense to step up in big games and force teams to be one dimensional than I think the sacks will come.

I don't disagree but I also believe that the game has changed. It's all about getting the ball out quick. We get less sacks and we give up less sacks. .

That's a good observation. In the past I wondered why more coaches didn't use the quick-pass style of offense like we see in Arena football.

Of the points given up this year, I would love to know how many followed a turnover or a 3 and out. I bet it's close to half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT