ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Dixon Improving

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
It's good to see the young freshman Dixon really start to improve and develop. Obviously Kermit likes his potential and practice effort or he wouldn't have been starting him all season. It seems like Dixon's breakthrough finally happened at Belmont. Then Dixon really displayed his improvement against incredible competition at VCU. Sure, Dixon had a rough first few mins. Then again, pretty much all of the starters had a rough first 5 mins or so. Dixon seems to be really settling into Kermit's system and college ball. It almost seems like his confidence goes up with each made shot.

Speaking of other young players, it's almost painful watching Johnson and Gamble trying to score. Obviously, they are trying to develop and adjust to big time ball. Both Johnson and Gamble appear to be athletic, talented, and have a lot of potential.

If the max speed on the court is 100 mph, it's almost like both Gamble and Johnson are trying to force themselves to go 120 mph when trying to score. They appear to almost lose fine control trying to go too fast. Perhaps a little patience that Upshaw models so well on the court would likely benefit both Gamble and Johnson. I keep thinking that if both of them start to hit a few baskets, they will both start to settle in and score more effectively and efficiently.

Starting as a PG as a F for a demanding coach has to be a touch road. Dixon seems to be handling it, the biggest thing I see is his temperament. He stays the same. I hope he can truly continue to develop both his management of the team and his shot. We need him to be a threat from 3 point land as well as drive it to the basket.

Agree on Johnson and Gamble - we desperately need Gamble and our other big man to develop not just to give Upshaw/Williams a blow but for the future.

On redshirting Thomas, I believe I heard Kermit mention something about the young player needing more time mentally to adjust to the mental speed of the game. He sort of of described the young player being a little inundated in the early going. Depth is not an issue at this point, seem pretty wise to RS the young player since circumstances work out for a RS.

I'm one of the concerned about Gamble developing for next season. Replacing Upshaw and Williams next season in the frontcourt is going to be a huge order to fill.

We should redshirt a bit more, a Gamble could have used the time in the gym. I feel like a lot of our young guys waste a year.

Davis wanted to redshirt Phillips but his parents were against it. As for Gamble I haven't heard.

There are two reasons in addition to gaining weight that I am aware of that are possible reasons Thomas is redshirting. I have to believe the staff thought both Walters and Gamble would be further along as serviceable "Bigs" off the bench than they have shown so far. In addition, a former player who has attended a few practices intimated that Thomas was having more problems than usual freshmen in learning plays and playing within the program's structure. No doubt, watching Thomas in warmups and in practice (I've only seen a couple) he has the athletic part down.

Regardless, we will need some combination of Thomas, Gamble, Walters, incoming freshman Massenburg, and even JUCO SF Hawthorne in order to maintain some measure of our recent success. (In a recent interview Davis said he may have one more signee - could be a "Big" - I'm looking for a graduate transfer - wonder who is expendable?)

It will be interesting to see who becomes that person. We've been fortunate to have Upshaw all four years. He's made a huge impact on the program. It seems like in past when we get a dominate big man, they're gone after year or two without getting local noteriety. Upshaw and Potts have put faces on our program in the media.

Dixon has been impressive. I agree Kermit must see something especially starting him at VCU. I got nervous a couple times when he went inside and then he made least one of the shots.

Reactions: C-Bow
I agree Dixon is impressive. He's getting better every game. I think Walters has potential but he will need a couple of years of Kermit getting in his head. Good size but lacks aggression and maybe confidence. Needs to develop the short touch shot as well.

I'm hearing Davion Thomas might be that guy. Coaches are very impressed with him. I hope so because I am disappointed with Gamble's development so far. Seems scared when he is out on the court.

Thomas has looked great in the little practice sessions I've seen. I think the depth in front of him may have had more to do with the RS than anything else.

As for Dixon, I really like the way he's progressing. He's made great strides in just a short amount of time. He could really develop into a great player before it's all said and done. Wish they'd work on his form a bit, but hey, if it works for him, so be it.

Regarding Gamble, I think Kermit's famous and oft repeated words "he needs to let the game come to him" are really fitting. He looks to be putting out the effort. He seems to do pretty well in most aspects of the game when he's out on the floor i.e. hustling on defense. It just seems like when he gets the ball near the basket, he tries to score as fast as he can which usually results in a near miss. It looks to me that if he would take a brief moment to collect himself with the ball and then go up strong, he would likely start making those baskets. Upshaw seems to be a master of that aspect of his game. A lot of the times, that half a second patience with the ball will also draw a foul.

So while Dixon was improving...last night on his shot, I swear it takes him 2 seconds to load up. This has to be addressed or he will never be a true threat from the outside. In fact, if Johnson can play in control, I think he should be starting with Potts at the point.

So while Dixon was improving...last night on his shot, I swear it takes him 2 seconds to load up. This has to be addressed or he will never be a true threat from the outside. In fact, if Johnson can play in control, I think he should be starting with Potts at the point.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about in regards to his form. It's wonky and weird - almost like Tebow loading up to throw a football weird.

I'm sure it feels natural to him and the coaches don't want to make him uncomfortable, but it should absolutely get tweaked little by little.

Player at UT-K (last year IIRC prior to his Sr. year) worked all summer changing his shot to being a perfect form and he increased his effectiveness. But, I've known of a very successful high school coach who never worked on a players form no matter how bad. He felt if the players came to him without correct form it was too late to change it.

As to Dixon: part of his unusual "look" is being left-handed. Regardless, his release is way too low and he is too slow in the windup. Both need to be revamped before next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT