ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Quick thoughts

altshauf

All American
Jan 15, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
I know it was Brescia. Not worried about that. Just some observations…
I had to wait until I got back home from watching one of my guy’s first college game so I’m a little late. Overall, you can see we are much more athletic than any other team CNM has had here. I LOVE the fact we are pressuring full court. We appear to be more dedicated to getting up and down. We have run and jump down good. Hopefully we will see some full court zone D. I also LOVE how deep this team is. Look, we may not be AS talented in a spot or 2, but my goodness we are deep. Make no mistake. You can tell there just isn’t much dropoff from the 1st to 2nd group. We are so long too. The bigs are also super deep. I really think we have 2 incredible difference makers right now. Jefferson (who will be a similar guy to shuler last year as far as being a gamer) and Turner. Eli Lawrence has improved a ton and much more active. You can see how his athleticism changes the game.
Sims is Sims, Dishman has trimmed down. I think he will be better, but he still has obvious disadvantages. Millin didn’t really effect the game too much in my eyes. However deep our bigs are the only thing that concerns me is a real lack of attention to post ups. Of course this had something to do with game tempo too, but it just doesn’t seem to be high on the priority list.
I’ll be honest… if I am just scouting this team and had advice on how this group should play. I would say go out and do the exact same thing defensively then add some wrinkles. When you get to offense, slow the pace a bit. But defensively… with this personnel. Makes me think of La Tech about 5-6 years ago. I don’t know if we have the dedication to FC defense, but if we do… this won’t be the last place team in the CUSA (not being sarcastic).
And yes, I know it’s against a very young NAIA squad, but there is some room for optimism.

I know it was Brescia. Not worried about that. Just some observations…
I had to wait until I got back home from watching one of my guy’s first college game so I’m a little late. Overall, you can see we are much more athletic than any other team CNM has had here. I LOVE the fact we are pressuring full court. We appear to be more dedicated to getting up and down. We have run and jump down good. Hopefully we will see some full court zone D. I also LOVE how deep this team is. Look, we may not be AS talented in a spot or 2, but my goodness we are deep. Make no mistake. You can tell there just isn’t much dropoff from the 1st to 2nd group. We are so long too. The bigs are also super deep. I really think we have 2 incredible difference makers right now. Jefferson (who will be a similar guy to shuler last year as far as being a gamer) and Turner. Eli Lawrence has improved a ton and much more active. You can see how his athleticism changes the game.
Sims is Sims, Dishman has trimmed down. I think he will be better, but he still has obvious disadvantages. Millin didn’t really effect the game too much in my eyes. However deep our bigs are the only thing that concerns me is a real lack of attention to post ups. Of course this had something to do with game tempo too, but it just doesn’t seem to be high on the priority list.
I’ll be honest… if I am just scouting this team and had advice on how this group should play. I would say go out and do the exact same thing defensively then add some wrinkles. When you get to offense, slow the pace a bit. But defensively… with this personnel. Makes me think of La Tech about 5-6 years ago. I don’t know if we have the dedication to FC defense, but if we do… this won’t be the last place team in the CUSA (not being sarcastic).
And yes, I know it’s against a very young NAIA squad, but there is some room for optimism.
I agree with many of these points. Who do you see as the starters going forward if Coleman-Jones is also out for the season? Do you think it will stay at Dishman and Millin starting at the forward spot? Not a lot of height, but you do have size off the bench if needed.

There’s a saying coaches tell players. “Make it impossible for me to keep you on the bench”. I think that is turners spot. Dishman is a steady force, but either he or Millin will be overtaken by Turner. Don’t forget King and Fussel either. They both bring something to the table.
gun to my head-
Sims
Jefferson
Lawrence
Millin
Turner

Reactions: crposton
I can't believe anyone cares enough to even comment on the games much less have any faith that there is any chance this program gets to even .500. I'm not going to say another damn thing about basketball as I made my position known before he ever stepped foot on campus what an epically terrible hire this was.

I guess I'm just surprised we have enough players to field a team this year. Seven wins is the ceiling and I absolutely will not waste a second watching anymore of this train wreck CNM has turned this program into. The fact that he wasn't fired at the end of last season is just another notch in McPhee's abominable tenure here.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I can't believe anyone cares enough to even comment on the games much less have any faith that there is any chance this program gets to even .500. I'm not going to say another damn thing about basketball as I made my position known before he ever stepped foot on campus what an epically terrible hire this was.

I guess I'm just surprised we have enough players to field a team this year. Seven wins is the ceiling and I absolutely will not waste a second watching anymore of this train wreck CNM has turned this program into. The fact that he wasn't fired at the end of last season is just another notch in McPhee's abominable tenure here.
MT01- I don't believe you have the ability to not comment or stay away from this board- clearly you haven't the will power despite your multiple statements of being done, not wasting your time, etc.. yet here you are time and time again wasting your time

Altshauf we should all know better by now to bring any sort of objective opinion here unless it's negative.. :cool:

Reactions: ewglenn
This reply ticks all of the MT01/TIBL boxes, doesn't it?

"I'm not going to say another thing..." (for approximately the 783rd time): check

An incessant need to remind the other 15-20 of us constantly that you called something correctly, or suggest that you have more "insider info" than the rest of us or have a more thorough understanding of MT Athletics (many of whom are actually connected, not dudes who were a GA in the AD 20 years ago, or whatever): check

Misrepresenting someone's initial post (no one said anything about getting to .500): check

In terms of the what is happening on a court, altshauf has always been one of the most knowledgeable and informative posters here. I have no illusions of a great season incoming, but I enjoyed reading his insight and appreciate that someone was willing to actually discuss a different topic for a change. So of course, you had to glom on and rehash the same stuff you always do (that you keep saying you're done with discussing).

I'm all for having an active board (Lord knows we need folks who care enough to post), but if this is all you can contribute to a thread specifically about how we looked on the court in a particular game, maybe it's time to do the thing you vowed to do all along, and commit your time elsewhere.

This reply ticks all of the MT01/TIBL boxes, doesn't it?

"I'm not going to say another thing..." (for approximately the 783rd time): check

An incessant need to remind the other 15-20 of us constantly that you called something correctly, or suggest that you have more "insider info" than the rest of us or have a more thorough understanding of MT Athletics (many of whom are actually connected, not dudes who were a GA in the AD 20 years ago, or whatever): check

Misrepresenting someone's initial post (no one said anything about getting to .500): check

In terms of the what is happening on a court, altshauf has always been one of the most knowledgeable and informative posters here. I have no illusions of a great season incoming, but I enjoyed reading his insight and appreciate that someone was willing to actually discuss a different topic for a change. So of course, you had to glom on and rehash the same stuff you always do (that you keep saying you're done with discussing).

I'm all for having an active board (Lord knows we need folks who care enough to post), but if this is all you can contribute to a thread specifically about how we looked on the court in a particular game, maybe it's time to do the thing you vowed to do all along, and commit your time elsewhere.
I wasn't responding directly to him. I've seen several here talk about .500 so wasn't just referring to things in this particular thread.

Kingaling talks about being negative. What is positive from 20% win pct of this regime. Honest question, what is there to look forward to? The program has been eviscerated. I wasn't knocking any one poster. Just pointing out that it's quite amazing that folks are able to muster the interest given the preponderance of evidence that we now have. So, if altshauf was offended, I will offer an apology. Wasn't directing anything at him. More so my ire at the hire and refusal to fire this guy after last season.

I wasn't responding directly to him. I've seen several here talk about .500 so wasn't just referring to things in this particular thread.

Kingaling talks about being negative. What is positive from 20% win pct of this regime. Honest question, what is there to look forward to? The program has been eviscerated. I wasn't knocking any one poster. Just pointing out that it's quite amazing that folks are able to muster the interest given the preponderance of evidence that we now have. So, if altshauf was offended, I will offer an apology. Wasn't directing anything at him. More so my ire at the hire and refusal to fire this guy after last season.
Look who's back, back again..
Shady's back, tell a friend..
Guess who's back, guess who's back?
dadada..

Not offended. This is a business. I have 9 kids playing college basketball this year. Kinda interesting to think I could just bring all of those guys together and have enough to have my own college team 😂. Anyway. There is room for optimism. Everyone is upset with the way things are going. I get that, but my sports life revolves around Men’s and boys basketball. I wait every year for this day. Haven’t commented because of my work obligations and don’t want to comment on the staff here. I have my own opinions. But the fan side for me is important. I just watched one of my guy’s first game last night and I wasn’t even aware he would start. Super surprised an honored of his accomplishment. Another who I didn’t get to watch dropped 12 points on southern miss and started as a freshman as well. I’m actually hoping to catch another freshman’s first game down in Florida on Friday. Basically just saying I have gotten good and bad reports on my guys. Just want to see them successful. Exact same thing I see with MT. Good and bad reports (mostly bad from this board) but I just want to see MT successful.

I don’t want to rehash what I already stated too much, but if we buy-in and make our identity the aggressive style D that we have just shown…. This could be the most fun team to watch as far as style of play. This includes Kermit’s teams. Though I love kermit and his style of play (more like how I run my team), there is definitely a place for what I saw last night.

Not offended. This is a business. I have 9 kids playing college basketball this year. Kinda interesting to think I could just bring all of those guys together and have enough to have my own college team 😂. Anyway. There is room for optimism. Everyone is upset with the way things are going. I get that, but my sports life revolves around Men’s and boys basketball. I wait every year for this day. Haven’t commented because of my work obligations and don’t want to comment on the staff here. I have my own opinions. But the fan side for me is important. I just watched one of my guy’s first game last night and I wasn’t even aware he would start. Super surprised an honored of his accomplishment. Another who I didn’t get to watch dropped 12 points on southern miss and started as a freshman as well. I’m actually hoping to catch another freshman’s first game down in Florida on Friday. Basically just saying I have gotten good and bad reports on my guys. Just want to see them successful. Exact same thing I see with MT. Good and bad reports (mostly bad from this board) but I just want to see MT successful.

I don’t want to rehash what I already stated too much, but if we buy-in and make our identity the aggressive style D that we have just shown…. This could be the most fun team to watch as far as style of play. This includes Kermit’s teams. Though I love kermit and his style of play (more like how I run my team), there is definitely a place for what I saw last night.
I didn't get to watch the entire game, but for most of what I saw they were full court after made baskets. Was that the case the entire game?

There’s a saying coaches tell players. “Make it impossible for me to keep you on the bench”. I think that is turners spot. Dishman is a steady force, but either he or Millin will be overtaken by Turner. Don’t forget King and Fussel either. They both bring something to the table.
gun to my head-
Sims
Jefferson
Lawrence
Millin
Turner
I was thinking the same thing. I still think Dish could start some, but if we need some more size in the lineup Turner could also start. To me King is more of a long guard, but could be used at the "4" at times. This team is very long and athletic. As long as they can keep up the effort and not make dumb mistakes, I think this can be our "best" year under McDevitt. I don't have a ton of confidence, but I do have some optimism. Would have even more without the injuries.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT