ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB CUSA Tourney: Middle Tennessee (25-4, 18-2) vs Charlotte (12-18, 7-13), 11AM, Thursday, March 9, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Venue: Ford Center at The Star (12,000)

Radio: WGNS 100.5 FM, 101.9 FM; 1450-AM Talent: Dick Palmer (pxp) Duane Hickey (analyst)
TV: ESPN+ Talent: Ron Thulin (pxp) Colin Boddicker (analyst)

I like our chances against either of these. We destroyed them during the regular season so I think we have a good cushion based on talent level gap. Gotta be ready to play though and execute on every aspect of the game though -- offense, defense, rebounding, effort, and coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: crassyblue
2-0 against Charlotte this year with 46-45 at NC and 72-65 at home. They need to be very focused for this game to avoid an early exit.
actually the women won at Charlotte 65-41, and at home 71-46. Defense was pretty good in both and were somewhat comfortable wins. But you're right about focus. Charlotte would love nothing more to recapture what they were last year.

Last edited:
actually the women won at Charlotte 65-41, and at home 71-46. Defense was pretty good in both and were somewhat comfortable wins

Haha, well that makes me feel a little more comfortable. I was looking at last year's results, Char was a lot better last year.

It can be really difficult to win the conference championship as a 1 seed. USF is a really great team this year and secured the #1 in the AAC, but lost in their first game against the #8 Wichita St

Last edited:
You guys nailed it with the focus issue. Since we have a coaching staff that's in opposition to the usage of timeouts the ladies can't afford giving up 17+ point leads only to find themselves in a dogfight to the end. Remember ladies you don't have a bench that's very helpful in situations like this. Unfortunately your coach will let the whole lead dwindle down, & all he really knows to do in such circumstances is to get frustrated on the sidelines while throwing his arms in the air. Coach pretty much relies on the assistants scouting report for the full game prep. On the fly bench strategy is not this staffs forte. No disrespect to them, they're fine at pregame prep & analysis. It's just we get totally bumfuzzled when that scouting report doesn't work out because of lost player focus or if the opposition changes its strategy against us.
So this is on you the players. Whitson, Malashka, Whittington & Wheeler, you are the elder team leaders & have to take charge of the game. If those primary players can keep a strong full game focus while leading the rest of the team & avoiding any major frustrations hopefully we'll be ok for the full extent of the tournament.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Hopefully it's Houston vs Memphis in the AAC championship. We beat both of those teams. Gotta take care of business vs Charlotte tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing how the ladies perform in Frisco today. Charlotte has been a good match-up so far this year. Averaged winning both regular season games by 24.5 points.
The ladies appeared comfortable & confident on their tweeted video arrival to Texas. Have a great tournament!

I was worried about cold shooting, especially with the layout of this tournament and no practicing on the actual court, but they shot really well! Very encouraging to see. UTEP up next!

UTSA upsets Rice and will play WKU who squeaked by UAB on the other side of the bracket. Solid start today with a tough match up tomorrow. You think the All-conference snub sat well with Whittington? She played like she was on a mission today.

I hope the ladies come out with the same energy and focus against UTEP and really take it to them. I'd love to see us wipe the floor with them tomorrow.
I liked the comment made by Kyle Turnham when he said he thought UTEP was going to get a heavy dose of Lady Raider basketball tomorrow. Hope he is right.

Great leadership from Wheeler. When she puts the team on her back driving to the basket while also hitting from outside we become very dynamic. The team's confidence really elevates & follows her leadership in stride.
The defense is always tough, but when we can combine that with a steady offensive threat leading the way, look out!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT