God's Country
goblueraiders.com:

GAME INFORMATION
(FULL GAME NOTES)[/B]

Semifinal Match-Up[/B]
Date: [/B]Friday, Mar. 13
Time:[/B] [/B] 3 p.m. CT
Teams[/B]: #6 Middle Tennessee vs #2 UTEP
Arena: [/B]Legacy Arena at the BJCC (8,500)
TV: [/B]CBS Sports Network
Talent: Carter Blackburn, Pete Gillen & Jamie Erdahl
Radio:[/B] [/B]ESPN Nashville The Game (97.5/102.5) WGNS (1450/100.5/101.9) WMOT (89.5)
Play-by-Play: [/B]Chip Walters
Color:[/B] Kyle Turnham
TOURNAMENT INFORMATION
Live Stats[/B]

I think we must be extremely efficient. We cannot turn the ball over. We must defend but in control - just make them earn their points.

While we shouldn't win, the game still will be played. Go Raiders!

UTEP won't hit 75% of their threes today - I guarantee it!!!

But I will also guarantee Ivory won't get 20 min. like he did in the previous game.

We do have a chance - Go Blue!!!

I do think the run stops today. But, as MTFNBY5 said, UTEP will not hit 75% of their 3's today. Also, we are playing on a neutral court this time. I think it will be a close game.

Does anyone know for sure if CBS Sports live streams the CBSSN games on their website? I was looking at the video link Space provided (thanks as always Space!) which goes to the CBSSN website. They have a big banner on the home page promoting the game but it doesn't appear obvious that there will be a live video stream. I may need to make alternate plans to see this game if there isn't a live stream. Wondering if any of you know.

Excellent job for the coaches and players to get this far. Personally, I have no expectations beyond this point. At the same time, I'm certainly not ready to declare UTEP the winner. Would be reasonable that UTEP would be favored? I'd say yes, but MT has a chance. It will require the effort that MT has demonstrated the last two games.

Obviously, size would be a consideration. At the same time, Charlotte had size MT did not have. I think that is the reason MT had such a low FG% in that game, but MT kept attacking. Also, MT used their smaller quicker size to handle the ball and force turnovers.

Generally, I'd think UTEP would win the conference with their size, talent, and HC. It kind of surprises me that they are not a really dominant team. In El Paso, it seemed that it took an absolutely amazing shooting night from downtown for UTEP to insure that win. So hopefully, MT will have a decent chance today.

excerpt:

...The UTEP Miners and the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders face off on Friday in a Conference USA college basketball semi-final.

The UTEP Miners are 22-9 this season and they advanced to this game with a 12-point win over FIU. UTEP is averaging 69.9 points and they are shooting 47.2 percent while defensively they are allowing 63.5 points and their opponents are shooting 41.4 percent. Vince Hunter leads the Miners averaging 15.2 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. Earvin Morris Jr. is averaging 11.2 points, Cedrick Lang is averaging 10.4 points and 6.7 rebounds, and Julian Washburn is averaging 10.3 points. UTEP is 4-1 in neutral site games and 14-5 in Conference USA games.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are 18-15 this season and they advanced to this game with a seven-point win over Old Dominion on Thursday. MTSU is averaging 64.1 points and they are shooting 41.7 percent while defensively they are allowing 62.3 points and their opponents are shooting 43.8 percent. Reggie Upshaw Jr. leads the Blue Raiders averaging 10.3 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. Perrin Buford is averaging 7.8 points, Jaqawn Raymond is averaging 7.7 points, and Jacquez Rozier is averaging 7.2 points. Middle Tennessee is 2-2 in neutral site games and 11-9 in Conference USA.

UTEP is 4-10 against the spread in their last 14 games, 2-6 against the spread following a win, and 0-4 against the spread following a game that they covered the point spread. Middle Tennessee is 4-9-1 against the spread in their last 14 games, 1-4 against the spread against a team with a winning record, and 2-5 against the spread in Friday games.

UTEP is a four point favorite here but picking against MTSU hasn't been a good play recently and with no dominant team in Conference USA look for the Blue Raiders run to continue.....

This post was edited on 3/13 12:40 PM by SpaceRaider

MT down 25-20 at the break. Both teams struggled shooting down the stretch. MT finished the half 1-of-12 from the field. Other than that, they're playing tough.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Let me go ahead and say this also...
I thought DJ would bring this type of performance night in and night out this season. Things happen... When this kid is good, he is REALLY GOOD.
The 3pt shot along with great zone defense won this game for us. How long has it been since the men were playing later in the post season? Not only this, but the worst team we have put together in the past 4 years yet the only team to have a shot at the conference title.
Man I am proud of these guys.

The most inexperienced team yes but mucho talented. I would rather go to the finals then win 20 games all day long. We knew this would be a slow building process full of ups and downs but hoped we could start playing Blue Raider basketball by tournament time and damn if it didn't happen. Kermit is a great coach. I think the new assistant has done a good job and I think that we have a young former guard that is a graduate assistant that has had his hand in helping with the development of our freshman guards which technically includes Jones

Kudos to Altshauf that said we had the talent when we were all throwing up on ourselves after watching the exhibition game.

For as good as Jones was down the stretch (and he was magnificent), I don't think MT is in that game at halftime without Darnell Harris' 7&7 there. He was bruising away with those bigs of UTEP.

That's the beauty of this run for MT, it's been a cast of characters that have shown up each day. Kudos to the staff for their prep work too.

Gotta lock down one more though..
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 3/13 6:13 PM by cbow0328

I really love how the refs are letting them play. This reminds me of the grown man bball i watched as a kid!

I didn't once throw my hands up either...I knew Kermit was going to get them ready tourney time too.

We should be proud of this team...big time.

This run has been a pleasant surprise despite a mediocre overall season.

Beating UAB is a real possibility which would put us at 20 wins and into the NCAA tournament. I suspect we'd avoid the play-in game thing as well.

Would be curious to know what our NIT chances are now if we lose to UAB? Hate to think in that matter, but just curious.

With regards to playing UAB, we can win this game. I think we've got pretty similar teams. Was glad to see their game go to overtime....wish it had gone 8 overtimes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT