ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Commitment No. 11 on the board!

C-Bow

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 5, 2005
www.gomiddle.com
Remember when I said that perhaps the commitment of JR Bivens might spark some others to go ahead and hop on board too?

Well, with spots at the position filling up, MT just picked up the commitment of Abbeville (SC) DE Nate Temple.

Temple just took to Twitter to make it official. He chose MT over Pitt.

Temple was on campus last weekend visiting MT. No doubt the freshness of his visit and the addition of Bivens contributed to his decision.

Staff is giddy about both Temple and Bivens. Each are considered fantastic pass rushers. Check the tape:

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I know it’s a bummer to lose out on good talent. But off the top of my head I can only recall one athlete to go on and star for a P5 program, and make it to the NFL. That’s Lavonte David. It makes me think of Kevin Byard. He could have gone to Kentucky, and most likely be buried in the depth chart. But he decided to come here and was a stand out athlete. I’m not being critical of Temple’s decision but it is fascinating to think about how many factors go into their decisions at that age

Last edited:
I still will never forget the player from Tallahassee we had a few years back. He got an offer from Florida on Signing Day and signed with them. He never played a down for the Gators.

Sometimes, the grass isn't always greener.

Reactions: Hop45 and arg3b
I still will never forget the player from Tallahassee we had a few years back. He got an offer from Florida on Signing Day and signed with them. He never played a down for the Gators.

Sometimes, the grass isn't always greener.

Raphael Andrade. Didn't do much at Florida at all..

Reactions: arg3b
I know it’s a bummer to lose out on good talent. But off the top of my head I can only recall one athlete to go on and star for a P5 program, and make it to the NFL. That’s Lavonte David. It makes me think of Kevin Byard. He could have gone to Kentucky, and most likely be buried in the depth chart. But he decided to come here and was a stand out athlete. I’m not being critical of Temple’s decision but it is fascinating to think about how many factors go into their decisions at that age

MT could've had Randall Cobb but didn't want to offer him as a QB. Passed on Nick Mullens as well.

But yeah, David is really the only one who went on to do anything.

For those wondering, Walter Brady is having a fantastic year for the 4-6 Akron Zips. /s

devonte david went to juco first before heading to Nebraska. coming to MT and then going to Pitt when you compare apple to apples it's a no brainer that he would choose Pitt.

That's unfortunate. His frame reminds me a lot of Demarcus Ware before he went to Troy. He could be a special player for us and still get a great education and potentially be a high draft choice.

Pitt has nothing more to offer than MT when it comes to an education and going to the NFL.

The only thing Pitt offers is steeper competition and playing in front of more fans and better TV. Which I understand is a very attractive offer, but he also has to realize he will be fighting a lot harder for playing time at a place like Pitt.

Oh well. Seems like every year we are getting ganked by P5 schools.

It’s hard to blame these guys. If you’re an 18 year old looking to play at the highest level, would you rather wear the helmet with the “T” or “MT”? I love my boys in blue but I can’t blame the recruits if they have the offer to play in a big stadium, full of fans, and on tv

One of my son-in-laws grew up 75 miles South of Pittsburgh so we have been up there a few times the last 5 years. Heinz Field a pretty special place. Heinz on one end, PNC Park on the other, surrounded by those rivers is a pretty picturesque setting. I totally get a kid getting caught up in playing up there. Plus, they are playing Clemson in the ACC Championship game.

A quick Google search turned up the following:
1 National Title in the modern era, 1976
Top 20 in all time wins
5th most College HOF inductees
12th most consensus All-Americans
3rd most Pro Football HOF inductees
289 NFL players, 8 of which went into Pro Football HOF
31 selected to play in the NFL Pro Bowl

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Don’t forget Pitt won the ACC coastal this year. Also academically they are a more highly ranked institution. Not like we lost him to WKCC.

One of my son-in-laws grew up 75 miles South of Pittsburgh so we have been up there a few times the last 5 years. Heinz Field a pretty special place. Heinz on one end, PNC Park on the other, surrounded by those rivers is a pretty picturesque setting. I totally get a kid getting caught up in playing up there. Plus, they are playing Clemson in the ACC Championship game.

A quick Google search turned up the following:
1 National Title in the modern era, 1976
Top 20 in all time wins
5th most College HOF inductees
12th most consensus All-Americans
3rd most Pro Football HOF inductees
289 NFL players, 8 of which went into Pro Football HOF
31 selected to play in the NFL Pro Bowl

My brother went to Pitt, we had a discussion last week about the program...they have history - old history. Dan Marino and Tony Dorsett are not playing there anymore. This year has been a surprise.

But like us, they play in a half filled stadium. Off Campus. When they are not winning it was less than half full.

My brother went to Pitt, we had a discussion last week about the program...they have history - old history. Dan Marino and Tony Dorsett are not playing there anymore. This year has been a surprise.

But like us, they play in a half filled stadium. Off Campus. When they are not winning it was less than half full.

Well, it’s not like the last 20 years have been barren. Larry Fitzgerald is a 1st ballot lock for the HOF when he hangs it up soon. RB LeSean McCoy & CB Darrell Revis probably have a 30-50% chance of making the HOF. DT Aaron Donald might be the 2nd highest paid defensive player and is the reigning AP Defensive Player of the Year. They have had 20 players drafted just this current decade.
Due to Le’Veon Bell deciding to sit out this year, thus forgoing $14.5 million dollars, former Pitt player James Conner is one of the NFL’s feel good stories of the year. He has taken full advantage of his opportunity and he’s a cancer survivor to boot. Not a stretch to think he could make the Pro Bowl.
I took my 3 son-in-laws up to the Falcon/ Steeler game the first weekend in October. Pitt had a game that Saturday and it was raining. In fact, they had a 1 hour plus weather delay. You are correct, place was maybe half-full. But honestly, playing in a half-full Heinz stadium beats playing in Floyd any day. I can see using the same dressing rooms on Saturday that the Steelers use on Sunday being pretty intoxicating.
Just using this one year as an example, it certainly looks like Pitt/BC/Syracuse have benefited from moving to the ACC.
I never begrudge a kid on where he/she ends up. Easy to get stary eyed at that age.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT