ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB CMI on WGNS

Not to beat a dead horse, but to listen to CMI communicate publicly compared to other past coaches at MT is an absolute night & day difference. Just a great communicator. Excellent interview, & great to hear we should be signing that 2nd pg in the next week that we've all been waiting on.
Really liked the part when Matt was asked about why his father hasn't retired? Great response, "because the job's not done yet."
As long as Matt & company are around I'm not sure when, but I think that sweet 16 or beyond will be achieved someday.

CRI has earned the right to retire when he wants, whether that is next year or 10 years from now, as Matt has earned the right to be his successor. As long as he can keep the staff together, no reason to think MT doesn't keep getting better

Also think Nina Davis is a future HC

Great quote from Matt:

"We're recruiting a PG right now to come in next year and what excited me more than anything about her... I was on the phone with her last night [before dead period starts]... The one thing that excited me the most was, she said, 'Coach Matt, if I come to Middle Tennessee, can you and I do an individual workout every morning before I have to go to class?' I said, 'Yes, 100%. Let's go ahead and put that down, let's put the time down, let's go ahead and do it.'

That tells me that she wants to work to get better and be smart about being better. When you do an individual workout, if I'm gonna do an individual workout with a player at 8am in the morning before her 9am class, we're not just getting in there to work just to say we got in there to work. We're gonna get in there and, if it's shooting, if it's one-or-two dribble pullups, if it's ballhandling... whatever it is, if it's finishes at the rim, we're gonna work on those things.

Tom Hodges and Nina Davis do an incredible job with our post players and doing things with them, and then Kim and myself work with the guards - I also work with the posts when need be as well - but when we get in with our players, we're going in to work at it and not just say we're gonna work for an hour. We may work for 25 minutes and get everything done that we needed to get done and, hey, go to class. That's the type of players we want in our program, that want that.

If this recruit I was talking to, if she tells me, 'Well, coach, I have to do this or I have to do that...' you know, if you're gonna play the PG, you're gonna have to watch film... you're gonna have to know every little thing about our team and the other team. We used to say this about Dor Saar - Rick used to get on Dor about this a lot - she would try to go through the whole playbook in the first quarter, our whole playbook. And we're running things and it's working and she's calling something on the floor that's totally different.

And so they come to the bench and he's raising a little Cain with her about it and she said, 'Coach, I'm just trying to figure out how they're guarding everything we do.' Well, let's not do that when we've scored 7 straight times in this offense, you know. But that's the kind of mentality she had as a PG, 'I wanna know if we go to a certain play, how they're gonna guard that in the 4th quarter. So lemme figure it out right here in the 1st quarter in the game.' That's the thing you want from our PGs and how they think."

Also loved Matt praising Anastasiia's growth, talking a lot about how she can further grow, and his excitement at seeing her projected by WNBA draft experts as a likely 1st Round pick next year. She's going to be one of the best players in the country and will most likely be the best shot blocker in the nation next year if she continues at her current clip. One focus over the summer will be facing up on the floor, expanding her 3 point shot confidence and getting her to shoot it outside more (but not falling in love with it too much and thinking she's the PG).

Great story about the kind of person she is, loyalty to the program and putting in an incredible amount of work to get where she is now. Funny story how she said her freshman year how they were only starting her to get the tip so Matt says to her, 'well that's not true because you haven't gotten any tips' LOL. The coaches clearly saw her potential and put their trust and confidence in her and it was a fantastic decision!

Reactions: Hop45 and RaidRRick
On the radio broadcast Matt had mentioned we should have a new point guard commitment from the portal in a 5-7 day time period. One week has passed. Any word on things are progressing.

By my count we now have Davis, Munson, Blakely & Arike joining the team for the upcoming year. With the graduates & portal departures taking place has everything evened out on available scholarships? Wasn't sure if we're currently at 14 or the maximum 15 allotted scholarships now.

• Love
Reactions: MTOleBlue
By my count we now have Davis, Munson, Blakely & Arike joining the team for the upcoming year. With the graduates & portal departures taking place has everything evened out on available scholarships? Wasn't sure if we're currently at 14 or the maximum 15 allotted scholarships now.
I think we are at 14 but I might have miss counted

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT