ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB Charlotte, 6:30PM Thursday, January 14, 2016

Charlotte is a good team... We need this win to keep building on our successes and work towards conference domination. Hoping AJ has another great game!!

Recruiting has been slipping as Insell gets further and further away from his high school and AAU connections. Were it not for players falling into his lap (you know who they were - no need to list and give the reason for each) the programs' downturn would have been noticed much earlier.

The game has changed and Insell is very "set in his ways" - has been since the earliest days at Shelbyville. Going to be very hard to win consistently in the future with a skilled under-sized post and three-pt shooters. The game requires perimeter players who can not only shoot the three but penetrate, stop-and-pop, and finish at the rim (perhaps backboard is more appropriate for the women's game). Posts will need a reasonable mid-range J. Insell will have to change his recruiting and his style of play or mediocrity will set in permanently.

One thing is clear: The Ladies BkB program at MT is no closer to the "Great 8s and Sweet 16s" promised early in Insell's tenure nor or we any closer to signing the anticipated "elite" players who can bring such success. Insell brought much notoriety to the program, had a good early run, and must be thanked for bringing attendance to nationally-respected levels. Regrettably, the program is at a crossroads - without changes the future doesn't look very promising.

Reactions: MTBig Blue
Majorly disagreed with prior posts. It bears repeating that we have a VERY young team made up of truly skilled players. I wouldn't think I would have to remind you all of this, but it seems I do. Alex Johnson was the best player in the state of Tennessee in 2015, and she didn't go to UTK or Vandy or Kentucky, she chose MT. Alex Smith is a true center with a real skill set unlike anything we've seen with our "Center" players in the past. We have a 6'0" wing in the style of Brandi Brown / Jackie Pickel coming in next year from Bartlett and sharpshooters from OH and WV who will make a major impact. Our core players are sophomores and freshmen. I mean, come on really, what do we expect with one senior starter and one junior? I'll go thru the starters.

F Alex Johnson - FR - Need I say more? She is likely to be CUSA Freshman of the Year. She is a true sensation inside and a major presence.
G Abbey Sissom - SO - She can drain three point shots like no other. She didn't score nearly 4,000 points at Cannon County because everyone else was crap. She's getting more confident and adding the shot off the dribble to her repertoire.
G Brea Edwards - SR - Brea is something special. I don't think we need to look very far to see what CRI and the staff's coaching has done in this regard - she is the scoring leader of the team and the core presence outside.
G Ty Petty - JR - Best PG in CUSA, more than likely. Getting better every day and she has a great attitude. Leadership qualities are growing each game - this is Ty Petty's team.
F Gabby Lyon - SO - CRI has said that of the 4 rotating posts, she's the least "naturally skilled." But she's the hardest working. And she's shooting over 60% for the year on FGs and 100% from 3 (albeit 1-1). Another example of getting better each and every day.

Perhaps it has been hard to tell but we're getting out of our "local players who are overlooked" shell and getting more to the nationally-recognized players we need. Alex Smith will be a tremendous presence inside over the next 4 years, Alex Johnson is Alex Johnson, and don't forget about our new guards coming in - including Jess Louro the FR from NJ. She is a tremendous shooter and will see more time now that Jones is off the team.

I know it is easy to criticize Insell's recruiting but come on. We have one of the youngest core groups of players we've had in a while and all of them coming back. Things are looking up, not down.

I hope you're right - really do - but when you go from a one time top 20 ranking to not winning your conference then the ship isn't moving in the right direction.

Are you sure Alex Smith has a "real" skill set?? Not necessarily doubting you just didn't know if you have seen it in practice or you got your info from someone else.

I hope you're right - really do - but when you go from a one time top 20 ranking to not winning your conference then the ship isn't moving in the right direction.

I have been very critical of CRI in the past, and I agree - it's not looking that good at the moment, but most teams have their ups and downs... and I think we're in the "down"... with the up coming soon.

Are you sure Alex Smith has a "real" skill set?? Not necessarily doubting you just didn't know if you have seen it in practice or you got your info from someone else.

I have seen some of practice and heard about it from others. From what I've seen she has some really good moves inside - very quick, agile, and she's trimming down too which is the most exciting part for me.

I've seen her and yes she will be hard to deal with. She's working hard and getting in better shape. I have seen moves that surprised me from her for someone with her size. Good hands and good passer. At this time she is not Parker but She also does not have the baggage either. She also wants to get better and puts forth the effort to do so and willing to learn. She will surprise people next year.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I think we should let things play out, the team might have much better chemistry now that OJ is gone.

I think we should let things play out, the team might have much better chemistry now that OJ is gone.

If tonight's game was any indication I think that may be the case. What a tremendous team win. All 5 of our starters had tremendous games - Ty Petty was a scoring machine and had few mistakes, Alex Johnson was a beast inside demanding double & triple teams most of the game but still had 15pts, Gabby Lyon had 7 HUGE rebounds (and there was no question she was getting those rebounds), Abbey Sissom played amazing defense on Lefty Webster (5pts - 11 below her avg), and Brea Edwards made huge plays down the stretch.

Everyone who played, even those off the bench, was great. Rebecca had 9 huge points, TiAnna had some great moves/plays, and how about Caroline's HUGE 3 pointer in the 4th??? Wow what a game... Awesome.

Well all I can say is the ladies played as a team and the behavior on the bench was something I haven't seen in a long time. The ladies acted like a team supporting each other and cheering each other on. I didn't see anyone come to the bench without high fiving and pouting like someone in the past. They didn't yell at each other on the floor. They played hard and I'm very proud of them. This proves they can win without Jones and her bad attitude.

We beat a pretty good team that could shoot well with our shooters NOT hitting a good percentage. So a nice win. But athletically we are very limited. It was nice not to have to endure the stupid passes, brick layups and the overall negative vibes that OJ was responsible for. But afraid we will miss her rebounding.

Yes we are not the most athletic team in the world but we beat them with good teamwork and effort. Jones would get frustrated with herself because she was to big and out of shape to do what she was able to do for her first year and a half here. Then she took it out on her teammates which just caused more problems. We saw a totally different team last night and if Jones had been here we could have very well lost that game just because of her attitude. Yes I will agree we are not the most athletic team but it appears they don't give up on themselves like Jones did. So much for Jones, I'm like the team and moving on.

I do not necessarily agree about us being athletically limited. Charlotte's best player, Lefty Webster, is one of the best guards in the conference and a quick and athletic star for them. Abbey Sissom played tremendous defense on her and she ended up with only 5 pts. Alex Johnson was very physical and athletic in the paint. I think we have been much LESS athletic over the last year plus (minus Cheyenne Parker, but we all know how that ended) compared to this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT