ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Can MT possibly reach .500 this season?

Hoping for just the one win against the FCS team and losses to everyone else. Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. Only way we can get rid of Stockstill is multiple seasons with only a few wins. So it needs to happen.

And people need to stop going to games. Have to withdraw support. It is painful, but it is the only recourse and actionable thing we can control to apply some pressure to this joke of a university.

I don't see this team going 5-1. They will be lucky to go 3-3 the rest of the way.

Believe having one of the nation's worst football team's will have a polarizing effect on the basketball team this year. After this fall's football failure look for MT to have one of its best seasons in basketball in a long long time.
I’ll believe it when I see it. Great teams must have great guards who can score consistently and be a threat from the 3pt line. Who’s going to do that for us ?

Nick has recruited a team full of athletes with questionable offensive ability at best. That’s a recipe for a good team but not a great one. Looks like he will fit right in here at “Middle” Tennessee.

This season will go just like the last one. Middle of the pack and finish with a whimper.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I think we beat LT, NMSU, FIU and UTEP. We miss the six win mark and Rick’s buyout gets a little cheaper.

After watching last night, I see a L on Tuesday night vs La Tech.
Yup, No way we beat Tech. Smoke is gonna run through us. Our secondary will not stop him and when we try they will just run the ball like last year. The matchup is too strong and we haven't shown up for a 4th Quarter yet.

Hopefully we lose out. Maybe a 1 win season, with zero FBS wins, will force change

Doubt it though
I’m with you. We need major changes and some new talent. Maybe a complete disaster of a season finally gets things moving.

I’m with you. We need major changes and some new talent. Maybe a complete disaster of a season finally gets things moving.

Do you know what sucks? Imagine how someone like Nick V feels. He beats Toledo as a freshmen to win a bowl game. Then he sits and watches MT win 8 games and beat SDSU in a bowl game the next season. From his perspective, not bad huh ?

Now, for his redshirt sophomore year, the second things take a turn for the worst the stadium is empty and everyone is calling for the coaching staffs blood. Players like Nick are probably baffled, because in his perception during his time here, MT hasn't been THAT bad. Halfway decent, actually. All of this seems probably very unwarranted in terms of how negative this board is and how our fans are behaving online + not showing up to games.

Unfortunately for Nick and the current players, they don't really understand the big picture and the entirety of Stockstill's time here. 18 years is a long, long time. Especially to be stuck with a .500 coach who has lost 8 of 9 to WKU and 5 in a row to them....0-4 versus Vanderbilt when the previous coach was 3-0 against Vanderbilt....Plus so many more problems and issues. The nepotism. The geriatric coaching buddies milking the retirement system despite serious, ongoing, fatal errors on the OL. The half hearted recruiting efforts. So on and so forth.

I hope the players can think bigger picture here and understand where we the fans are coming from. Surely they realize that the entire fan base is not delusional and unreasonable. The problems lie from within, and it's not the players fault. They're just caught up in a terrible, unfortunate situation. And the adults in the room who are supposed to be leaders for these kids are 1000% failing them by refusing to step aside.

I hate, hate, hate how our current players are caught up in this mess. But I don't know what else to say or do. I stopped blindly supporting this bush league coaching staff 10 years ago and it'll never happen again. I refuse to accept a .500 coach who can't win big games and never beats his rivals and never win championships. It is appalling and quite frankly leaves me speechless that this AD and President will not only support those results, but allow this man to flourish and hire family members and friends to be on staff....all while no results are delivered. The entire situation feels borderline criminal.

I'm honestly tired of even talking about it or thinking about it for that matter. It is a hopeless situation and unfortunately it's going to have to get worse before it gets better. Potentially a lot worse. It appears Stockstill just isn't going to F off. He's the stereotypical stubborn old man with zero insight that would probably rather die than acknowledge his detractors and make staff changes. Consequently, he's going to make sure this program is dead and buried by the team he leaves.

Ironically, he will have achieved the exact opposite here at MT versus what Bowden did at FSU despite his desire to emulate his former coach.

Last edited:
Consequently, he's going to make sure this program is dead and buried by the team he leaves.

Ironically, he will have achieved the exact opposite here at MT versus what Bowden did at FSU despite his desire to emulate his former coach.

That will be his Legacy nothing else.

His 'record' on the field will outweigh whatever good he has done off the field. Not once in his tenure has he fielded the best team in the conference. It's become so toxic that when he 'donated' a million dollars to the build blue campaign and to later to find out the clandestine coach friendly contract renewal was done close to the same time, you could not help but think quid pro quo. He was priming the pump and Massaro and McPhee obliged.

What is the point of committing to new facilities if there is no commitment to quality of the product on the field ?

I have nothing to evidence this, but if the team goes 2-10, 3-9 something like that, I think there will be changes somewhere. Again back to the facilities, they have to be thinking why are we building this if less and less people are attending. The smart way to resolve that is hire a new AD and let that person pick the coach. Massaro has already shown he has terrible leadership and decision making to select a new coach.

Also, if they go 3-9, doesn’t Stock have to think about retiring and trying to save his legacy and even Brent’s future reputation? Aren’t you just tired of the daily grind at that age?

In 3-5 years all three stooges will be looking at retiring. Maybe we just pack it up and come back in 5 years.

Trying to be optimistically a realist here. Chris being month to month is a huge deal imo. That to me shows they are letting him ride it out until Rick steps down. I think once that happens they both retire. I’d hope Hans or Lee take over once that happens. I try to think they have a plan. That’s the only plan that makes sense. Why would they have Chris month to month if they planned for him being around for after Stock? If that was the case, sign him now (why wait). Not only that, Chris hired a young hungry guy in Lee that was an AD at a D1 school before. I would be thrilled if that happened. We’ve seen Judy make mistakes but this time around she got it right when her back was against the wall. Maybe they are doing the same finally. Now if we do anything else I’ll be extremely disappointed (which is probable).

it was reported years ago that Messaro was month to month. It’s possible they have signed him to a longer term contract by this point.

If not, he’s been month to month for several years….which seems silly. Maybe that’s how McPhee shows disdain for him without firing him ? Because I feel like they would fire stock if they could, but they simply can’t. He’s had them by the balls and checkbook since 2009.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT