ADVERTISEMENT

Buffen transferring from Ole Miss

The timing could work right? Maybe Messaro didn’t make a change this year thinking he could get Kermit back next year?

They'll find a way to screw it up, don't worry. We'll end up with a South Carolina assistant coach I'm sure.

If they had any brains they would hire Gregg Marshall T-O-D-A-Y.

I believe I explained in a previous post in this thread that I have an extreme view of loyalty bordering on an obsession. It's OK that you feel differently.
You do mention the difference of a person's actions while representing his employer and on personal time. I would agree with that sentiment when one is working for a private company. One has freedom when away from work.
However, and this is where I would disagree with you somewhat. I grew up reared by parents who were public servants. They instilled in me that all public servants along with some others (ministers, etc.) should be held to a higher standard. They should do nothing on their free time which could be called into question and reflect on their character or their position. I won't go into details of behaviors I remember which reinforced this belief but there are many. In my time working in public service this belief affected choices I made until I left public service for other endeavors.
Back to Kyle: Had he appeared behind the bench in street clothes (no gear of any team) would he have even been noticed? What if he was in MT gear? Some might have looked at him a little strange for wearing a "lesser" school's gear to the mighty $EC tournament but if anyone who recognized him from MT they would only have seen him as being there supporting a friend.
He chose to procure and wear Ole Miss gear. Did he care if someone would make a deal out of it. Probably not. Will anyone call him out on it? Probably not? Will he ever be aware that his attire at the game has been discussed in this forum? Probably not? There will be no consequences.
IIRC this is not the first time this has happened. I don't remember the exact situation but some alleged huge MT supporter was seen sitting behind the UT-K BkB bench wearing urenge gear at a game where, again IIRC, MT was playing at UT-K. Some like to bask in the reflected glory of being connected to a "big-time" program. This will happen again.
I and apparently some others believe that Kyle's choice of attire reflected badly on himself and on MT. Others of you don't see the problem. I wish he hadn't worn the Ole Miss gear but if you don't have a problem that's OK.

Hopefully my last post in this thread because as several have said: When looking at MT athletics there are bigger fish to fry.
A person who is a play by play guy for a school’s basketball program is not a public servant in that regard. This is coming from a military veteran and a current public servant.

Anyone heard from KingALing lately??

I'm not sure you'll ever see him post here again to be honest. I'm guessing McDevitt probably kindly asked him, or relayed through back channels, to stop commenting on this message board because of the current situation.

And if that's not the case, what's he supposed to say? Nobody can deny, not even McDevitt's own family, that our team is terrible and our program is in shambles. It does no good for KingAling to get on here and say that we suck and just reaffirm what everybody already knows. Why would he want to contribute to the negativity and continue to stir things up? Silence is men's basketball's best friend right now. Less talk the better since there's literally nothing positive that can be said of the men's program.

The women are carrying the torch right now and providing so much cover fire for our administrators to hide behind. Such cowardly leadership. Sad times.

Abilene Christian’s Joe Golding received a $1,000 bonus for making the Dance before playing Kentucky two years ago. His salary isn’t public record since they are a private institution but the other Southland Conference schools pay between $180,000-$200,000 in annual base.
LINK: “Big money”

sWiley: "The women are carrying the torch right now and providing so much cover fire for our administrators to hide behind."

I read an interesting article in IIRC Salon.com yesterday which try as I might I can't find this morning. It was an observation on how one of the major sports can make up for problems in the other sport for which the school is best known. The examples were Michigan (FB school whose BkB success under Beilein and Howard has kept the heat off of Harbaugh) and Indiana (BkB school) whose FB's recent moderate success allowed Archie Miller with his lack of success to remain longer than expected with the rabid BkB fan base in the Hoosier state.
Article, from memory, explained that fans don't get as much enjoyment or feel as much disappointment from the school's secondary major sport as from the sport the school is known for but it does keep the fans engaged.
We could argue whether MT is a FB or a BkB school but there is agreement that results in both are unacceptable at this time. Neither women's BkB or BB or any of the other sports can make up for the lack of success in either of the two major sports.
No wonder we are seeing such an exodus of fans (even before the pandemic) and posters on this board.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you'll ever see him post here again to be honest. I'm guessing McDevitt probably kindly asked him, or relayed through back channels, to stop commenting on this message board because of the current situation.

And if that's not the case, what's he supposed to say? Nobody can deny, not even McDevitt's own family, that our team is terrible and our program is in shambles. It does no good for KingAling to get on here and say that we suck and just reaffirm what everybody already knows. Why would he want to contribute to the negativity and continue to stir things up? Silence is men's basketball's best friend right now. Less talk the better since there's literally nothing positive that can be said of the men's program.

The women are carrying the torch right now and providing so much cover fire for our administrators to hide behind. Such cowardly leadership. Sad times.

90% of the posts on this board in the years I’ve been a member have little to do with MTSU basketball- the fact that this topic of Buffen transferring is even what you all are commenting within and that has nothing to do with MTSU is indicative of the soap opera culture of this board..

I’m still around but not much to say.. and no I’be not been given directives from my friend for a damn message board- that’s a ridiculous thought quite frankly..

If I leave I’m afraid FranklinRaider won’t be able to handle the loss- he’s quite enamored by me which is indicative of the lil b!tch he seems to be..

Last edited:
Reactions: Danielhammaker
90% of the posts on this board in the years I’ve been a member have little to do with MTSU basketball- the fact that this topic of Buffen transferring is even what you all are commenting within and that has nothing to do with MTSU is indicative of the soap opera culture of this board..

I’m still around but not much to say.. and no I’be not been given directives from my friend for a damn message board- that’s a ridiculous thought quite frankly..

If I leave I’m afraid FranklinRaider won’t be able to handle the loss- he’s quite enamored by me which is indicative of the lil b!tch he seems to be..

I'm sorry we don't have anything positive to talk about concerning men's BkB. I've always looked forward to your posts which provided your unique perspective on the program. I appreciate your loyalty to McDevitt and know you are as disappointed with the state of the program as us long time fans.

Abilene Christian’s Joe Golding received a $1,000 bonus for making the Dance before playing Kentucky two years ago. His salary isn’t public record since they are a private institution but the other Southland Conference schools pay between $180,000-$200,000 in annual base.
LINK: “Big money”

If possible, I would like to see us pay a new HC $400-500k as a base salary with generous bonuses/incentives for success. Unfortunately, CNM’s contract will bite us even after he is gone. Any potential new hire is going to want a similar 5 year deal for $800k/year since that’s what CNM got with added extension at year one. Matter of fact, HC experience is going to probably ask for more than CNM. When you are paying a premium for poor results, the coach has no incentive to resign, & your already meager funding line will just continue to drop, then it’s just bad situation.

Massaro won’t hire a guy with baggage like Marshall, so we will end up with some assistant coach from the Carolinas. I expect Will Bailey to be named our new HC in March of 2022.

Not so much a soap opera culture as it is a comic tragedy :)

I’m still around but not much to say.. and no I’be not been given directives from my friend for a message board- that’s a ridiculous thought quite frankly..
To be fair, Buffen did commit and sign with MT before CKD left. So, yeah, tracking Buffen's success and collegiate journey DOES have a connection to MT MBB.

And, as others have mentioned, perhaps if the MT MBB program won more games, there'd be less of a soap opera culture and more of a championship culture on the board...After all, MT went from contender to pretender in the last three years, as McD's win total DECREASED every year (11 in 2018-19, 8 in 2019-20, and 5 in 2020-21).

That's the sign of a program heading in the WRONG direction.

Then again, I guess any criticism of a coach who has lost 72% of his games WITH several players in the transfer portal may seem like a soap opera.

To be fair, Buffen did commit and sign with MT before CKD left. So, yeah, tracking Buffen's success and collegiate journey DOES have a connection to MT MBB.

And, as others have mentioned, perhaps if the MT MBB program won more games, there'd be less of a soap opera culture and more of a championship culture on the board...After all, MT went from contender to pretender in the last three years, as McD's win total DECREASED every year (11 in 2018-19, 8 in 2019-20, and 5 in 2020-21).

That's the sign of a program heading in the WRONG direction.

Then again, I guess any criticism of a coach who has lost 72% of his games WITH several players in the transfer portal may seem like a soap opera.

No- you're right in that there used to be a connection and you're right in that there isn't much to talk about with MTSU bball currently.. the piss poor game trends and results are certainly fair game but you'll excuse me for over-exagerating due the handful of dipshi!ts that call me out solely to place their frustration of my friend out on me personally- I mean I'm a totally different person than CNM, I'm not responsible for the sh!t show we've seen on the court so I'm not gonna tolerate that hateful passive aggressive sh!t.. that's the bullsh!t and yeah 90+% of those posts directed at me are soap opera in nature by some lil b!tches that others here have had problems with as well.. Every week FranklinRaider or MT01 in particular have some dumb sh!t to say asking where I'm at, etc- where's king, where's king, where's king? FR315's like a stage 5 clinger and can't keep my name out of his mouth.. and the 2 almost always show up in tandem with their circle-jerk posts egging each other on..

There are a number of folks here who have been genuinely interested in actual input from me and have posed thoughtful questions- player recruitment, style of play, tendencies, etc.. but most here have shown that they are not really basketball folks- it's more of a collection of folks who enjoyed the success of the program but don't really know how your program got there within the intricacies- even when I look back at the successful games/posts under CKD there's not much in the line of breaking down basketball in-game stuff which is mainly what I like boards for- so I've refrained from posting mainly since there's not much to say and I've learned that even though I do have some thoughts about players leaving and how that could benefit MT, or how I wish there were some other changes that CNM would make I'll just keep them to myself because I know there's no point in arguing with fools like MT01/FR315 and a couple others... all we'll hear is how MT should've hired Odom or Forbes or anyone else and we all need to pitch in for something nice for Nostradamus- errr I mean MT01 because he told us so five million times over the years..

No- you're right in that there used to be a connection and you're right in that there isn't much to talk about with MTSU bball currently.. the piss poor game trends and results are certainly fair game but you'll excuse me for over-exagerating due the handful of dipshi!ts that call me out solely to place their frustration of my friend out on me personally- I mean I'm a totally different person than CNM, I'm not responsible for the sh!t show we've seen on the court so I'm not gonna tolerate that hateful passive aggressive sh!t.. that's the bullsh!t and yeah 90+% of those posts directed at me are soap opera in nature by some lil b!tches that others here have had problems with as well.. Every week FranklinRaider or MT01 in particular have some dumb sh!t to say asking where I'm at, etc- where's king, where's king, where's king? FR315's like a stage 5 clinger and can't keep my name out of his mouth.. and the 2 almost always show up in tandem with their circle-jerk posts egging each other on..

There are a number of folks here who have been genuinely interested in actual input from me and have posed thoughtful questions- player recruitment, style of play, tendencies, etc.. but most here have shown that they are not really basketball folks- it's more of a collection of folks who enjoyed the success of the program but don't really know how your program got there within the intricacies- even when I look back at the successful games/posts under CKD there's not much in the line of breaking down basketball in-game stuff which is mainly what I like boards for- so I've refrained from posting mainly since there's not much to say and I've learned that even though I do have some thoughts about players leaving and how that could benefit MT, or how I wish there were some other changes that CNM would make I'll just keep them to myself because I know there's no point in arguing with fools like MT01/FR315 and a couple others... all we'll hear is how MT should've hired Odom or Forbes or anyone else and we all need to pitch in for something nice for Nostradamus- errr I mean MT01 because he told us so five million times over the years..
Here is a legitimate question. Do you think at this point CNM can have success here and would you give him more time. I like the guy from what I know and I hate this has gone the way it has because I am a fan, but also because I hate seeing people fail. The past 3 years have been a big failure and I know most people would agree. I sure hope CNM would agree that overall this has been a failure. If you think he can turn it around what do you think he would have to do and how does losing 3 promising players help us? I am to the point where I think it is best for MTSU basketball and CNM to part ways so they both have a chance to be successful.

Here is a legitimate question. Do you think at this point CNM can have success here and would you give him more time. I like the guy from what I know and I hate this has gone the way it has because I am a fan, but also because I hate seeing people fail. The past 3 years have been a big failure and I know most people would agree. I sure hope CNM would agree that overall this has been a failure. If you think he can turn it around what do you think he would have to do and how does losing 3 promising players help us? I am to the point where I think it is best for MTSU basketball and CNM to part ways so they both have a chance to be successful.

Good question... I've appreciated your optimism in the past and understand your pessimism or realistic outlook now.. at this point I just don't know.. do I believe in what CNM can do at MTSU? Not sure if he can salvage anything at MTSU right now unless he has support from within, mainly due to the optics and the consistent trends (especially the lack of toughness- clear lack of on-court chemistry). On paper I don't have any idea how this team only won a handful of games this year and almost all of the losses were in similar fashion- playing hard/tough for 25-30 minutes and going MIA offensively for long stretches, especially at the end of the half or the last 5-8 minutes of games.. off paper, I'm privy to some player/team details not for public consumption that account for contributing factors like injuries/illness, personal issues that contribute to the lack of team chemistry and why some guys had roller coaster trends from game to game, especially late in the year.. we all saw a lot of teams struggle this year and while everyone had to deal with COVID, testing, quarantines, etc- when you really look at the C-USA EAST you had the two bottom teams have the most number of starters miss games (by far) than the other 5.. it's not an excuse or defense for the overall results but you can't just dismiss those realities either.. especially for a group that needed more than anything time together to gel... I think the folks in the program simply know more about what's going on than folks on this board and whether that makes sense to the Ath Dept/school leadership and major boosters is all that matters.. if he has support he'll still have to put up significant improvement immediately and that much is clear.

As for addition by subtraction- I think basketball is unlike a lot of other sports in that you can get much better with only a few key components/recruits- and the clear lack of a main stud is still the most prevalent issue.. the only guy that fits that bill is Shuler right now and he's an unknown depending on how he rehabs/comes back.. with the unprecedented number of transfers and ability to play immediately anything is possible in college basketball especially for a team that has some good pieces/parts- even if it's a longshot. I think for CNM to be successful in the future as a head coach he needs to show decent/significant improvement next year even if things don't work out long term at MTSU..

Likewise, this is a good question. Think the main problem is knowing how to win by making smarter and efficient decisions at key points in the game. That’s the essence of coaching and having mental mechanics and poise to outsmart opponents even when talent isn’t superior. We play decent for a half-game—maybe 25 minutes. But, hard and smart play 40 minutes are required night in and night out to have winning basketball.

At this point, our existing talent should garner 12,14, even 16 wins in a full (non-COVID-19 season); we are not close to a NIT or NCAA team and sadly that’s too much to expect given our basketball skills and our capacity to improve. There are numerous examples of 5-8 minute stretches where MT plays very poorly with turnovers, getting beat on transition, or simply cold shooting from ill advised spots on the court. Collectively, this turns a manageable 27 to 22 game deficit into a 35 to 22 deficit by late in first half. By end of game, the representative game score looks like a 76-56 loss to conference competition because we “bookend” another 5 to 8-minute scoring drought in the second half. Unless there are stellar recruits coming in and changes in the basic game plan, I really don’t see a pathway to success for Coach McDevitt at MT.

Good question... I've appreciated your optimism in the past and understand your pessimism or realistic outlook now.. at this point I just don't know.. do I believe in what CNM can do at MTSU? Not sure if he can salvage anything at MTSU right now unless he has support from within, mainly due to the optics and the consistent trends (especially the lack of toughness- clear lack of on-court chemistry). On paper I don't have any idea how this team only won a handful of games this year and almost all of the losses were in similar fashion- playing hard/tough for 25-30 minutes and going MIA offensively for long stretches, especially at the end of the half or the last 5-8 minutes of games.. off paper, I'm privy to some player/team details not for public consumption that account for contributing factors like injuries/illness, personal issues that contribute to the lack of team chemistry and why some guys had roller coaster trends from game to game, especially late in the year.. we all saw a lot of teams struggle this year and while everyone had to deal with COVID, testing, quarantines, etc- when you really look at the C-USA EAST you had the two bottom teams have the most number of starters miss games (by far) than the other 5.. it's not an excuse or defense for the overall results but you can't just dismiss those realities either.. especially for a group that needed more than anything time together to gel... I think the folks in the program simply know more about what's going on than folks on this board and whether that makes sense to the Ath Dept/school leadership and major boosters is all that matters.. if he has support he'll still have to put up significant improvement immediately and that much is clear.

As for addition by subtraction- I think basketball is unlike a lot of other sports in that you can get much better with only a few key components/recruits- and the clear lack of a main stud is still the most prevalent issue.. the only guy that fits that bill is Shuler right now and he's an unknown depending on how he rehabs/comes back.. with the unprecedented number of transfers and ability to play immediately anything is possible in college basketball especially for a team that has some good pieces/parts- even if it's a longshot. I think for CNM to be successful in the future as a head coach he needs to show decent/significant improvement next year even if things don't work out long term at MTSU..
I don't think you dismiss the added difficulties that covid brought to this team. If CNM won 11 games his first year like he did and then finished around .500 last year I would be much more willing to give a pass this year due to the circumstances. If you ask me nothing has gone right for CNM or the program since Kermit left. 11 wins his first year would have probably been closer to a .500 season had Dixon and Johnson not been dismissed. Not sure how much Dishman would've helped last year, but I think that added with Millner-Criss missing a decent amount of games in the non-conference schedule definitely didn't help. Could those two guys being there maybe have helped us get 3-5 more wins? Who knows. Then this year on paper we have more talent than possibly ever before and it is the covid year. I get all of that, but I also get there is no reason even with those circumstances to only have 24 wins over 3 seasons. To me those things are a reason to maybe not improve on the win totals with increased talent, but what we saw was increasing talent and decreasing win totals. If CNM were to have won 12-15 games per year under the same circumstances I would not have been happy, but definitely wouldn't be advocating for him to lose his job either.

I don't get all the talk about us of having lots of talent. I see very little talent on this roster and that is part of the problem. Have you guys watched any of the other teams in this conference? They have much more talented players than we have.

What stands out to me is that McDevitt developed players at Asheville (before they transferred out) but, with mostly the same staff in place, hasn't done that here.

I suspect his development of those players was simply allowing his young talented recruits to out-athlete most of the other low tier talent and competition in their conference. If I recall correctly, they weren't really beating anybody when they stepped up competition level out of conference.

I suspect his development of those players was simply allowing his young talented recruits to out-athlete most of the other low tier talent and competition in their conference. If I recall correctly, they weren't really beating anybody when they stepped up competition level out of conference.

What is your definition of really "beating anybody" when you consider he was at UNC Asheville (one of the lowest funded programs in Div 1)? Is it just the P5 names? If so then yeah he only had the 1 win over Big East/Georgetown.. Lost to UT by 4, lost to Vandy by 3, Ohio State by 2, Southern Cal by 5 in 2OT in the NIT... every game on the road. Obviously some lopsided affairs in there as well- but those are the games he contractually had to schedule to fund the Ath Dept at Asheville quite frankly..

If you're talking about G5 type basketball names- then he had wins over East Carolina, Loyola- Chicago, Siena, CoCharleston, Drexel, NC Wilmington, Elon, Coastal Carolina.. lost to MTSU in Alaska by 2 in 2015/16... every game on the road or neutral.

If you're talking at peer level programs/leagues- he beat Steve Forbes & ETSU in 2015/16 by 20, Furman multiple times, UNC Greensboro, etc..

Folks here talk about how CNM did x, y, & z in such a small league at such a small school and then to discount wins against teams on this list doesn't make much sense.. UNCA isn't in the same ball park financially as most of these other programs but he regularly won games he really had no business winning, at least 13 games in 5 years with tough OOC opponents.. yes he had some great talent but there was plenty of development as well- development is fostered by having tiers of players in the same system- it's tough to develop guys in the fire or especially when you can't even work them out last summer.. in fact, CNM really had no business getting those talented players to Asheville based on the funding of the program- every single one of them that left Asheville have started and excelled at P5 programs. As for development had a walk-on turn into a solid starter his senior year and earn all tourney honors (R. Miller) and look into guys like Ahmad Thomas who turned into all-defense, NCAA steals leader for most of his junior campaign- finished 2nd I believe and was Top 5 his senior year- there are a couple others but these were notable once he was the HC.. development also depends on the player..

I know there's a lot to fairly criticize in the program but I guess no one saw improvement from Sims as a defender this year as a quick example?

Last edited:
Reactions: sWiley
I know there's a lot to fairly criticize in the program but I guess no one saw improvement from Sims as a defender this year as a quick example?

There were small improvements to note but all improvements were obviously and easily washed out by piss poor end of half performances. I've never seen a team in 20+ years of watching CBB that so predictably just flat out folded at the end of halves. Weirdest thing I've ever seen to be honest and screams leadership, coaching, attitude, and player problems.

Defense as a whole was better but still played terribly in spots and stretches. I've never seen a team give up so many free and easy baskets around the rim. That's an effort, attitude, and teaching issue in my opinion. You have GOT to make it hard on your opponents to score. Look at a team like Loyola-Chicago and take some notes. Not the strongest defense in the world but it's certainly adequate and they're a team with an identity who knows what they are and plays within themselves. When you watch them on offense they look so fluid with every player on the floor knowing exactly what they need to be doing. It's remarkable to watch them play because they don't sign players any more highly rated than what we get here at MT but they have a system and team culture and high basketball IQ. Such a pleasure to watch and obviously also remarkably effective.

What happened to Tyson Jackson? He's gone now so I guess it doesn't matter but he looked so promising as a freshmen. I called him transfering mid-season after all he did was ride the bench mostly. How does he not get developed into a major contributor after looking so promising as a freshman? Fairly highly rated recruit, CUSA freshman team, had issues fouling but soft hands and played well around the rim. What the hell happened????

How can Elias King literally not understand how to play defense or play inside our offense and keep the motion and movement going? He looked lost out there most of the season outside of some nice 3 point shooting. Is he really that wet behind his ears that he's gonna need training wheels for two years and we'll be lucky to get a decent senior season from him? That's gonna be the result we get from a Top 150 player? This program isn't going anywhere with this type of result and development.

Jayce Johnson developed an outside shot and played well off the bench but then he's gone. Not that it really matters but says he didn't see eye to eye with our head coach. Not exactly a ringing endorsement but maybe he was just upset over not getting to start and playing time? Regardless, not the greatest look and hard to build a program if your bench players won't accept their role and be good bench players. A well-rounded culture with a strong emphasis on "team" helps with this. As does winning championships. Anyway. Jayce wasn't starter material and I never liked his original signing to begin with but he was one of our better bench players and an upperclassmen. Him leaving is not a good sign but it changes nothing for us going forward. It's just a bad sign and reoccuring theme that this staff has been unable to build a competitive team, much less push for a championship.

Leading scorer Jordan Davis gone. Big question I have is why? He was a starter and would have continued to start and played tons of minutes. I expected more from him but seems to be par for the course that our staff isn't turning anyone into a 1st team CUSA selection any time soon. Maybe he just got tired of losing and doesn't like the culture here. Regardless, it's a really bad sign when your leading scorer who was gonna be a senior transfers. He must have been extremely displeased with the current situation. Gonna be tough replacing him because he was one of the few players, and maybe the only, who could actually drive to the basket and finish around the rim. Shuler can but he may never play again after that bad injury.

Nothing really else noteworthy to talk about. You asked about Sims defense but honestly I don't even remember him on the court much for us this year. I certainly don't remember him scoring much for us, seems his scoring ability has regressed. Sims was an animal for us as a freshman but seems to have gotten worse with each passing year.

When I look at the rest of the roster it's just meh. I don't see any CUSA Of the Year type players, or even first or second team type talent on the roster. The future looks remarkably bleak. I think we'll be even worse next year with Jordan Davis gone, Shuler a big question mark, and no noteworthy new players to speak of. For sure another single digit win season coming as this just isn't a good team. The talent isn't there and without complete roster turnover and a whole bunch of fresh faces I see no major changes to the outcomes we've been getting. Eli Lawrence will be Eli Lawrence, Tyler Millin will be Tyler Millin, and so on and so forth. They are marginal D1 players and will continue to deliver marginal results. Feels like our staff is trying to force square pegs into round holes with our roster. Need to just dump them all and start over fresh if you ask me but that is unorthodox and obviously won't happen.

So I guess we are just going to be terrible until McDevitt's contract expires (3 more years) and then Dumb & Dumber will make another terrible hire and we'll repeat this whole process over again.

Such a wonderful time to be an MT fan.....not.

I've honestly accepted at this point. MT Athletics is dead to me. We had our fun in the sun with our tournament upsets and beating some programs I never thought we would beat in the NIT and just in general. Our football team had some big wins here and there and 1 memorable season. But it's clear none of that is coming back under our current administrators and "leaders." I've accepted it's never going to happen again because Massaro and McPhee are two of the most wholly incompetent people on this planet and they are not going to be going anywhere anytime soon. My only hope is that I will outlive them both, and maybe one day when I'm 70 or 80 years old in a nursing home circa 2060's I'll see MT with a new President and Athletic Director w/ competent coaches leading our Football and Men's basketball program delivering upsets in the NCAA tournament once again.

Last edited:
You guys opine to your heart’s content. Lord knows you’ve earned the right. I prefer mine short and sweet. There is no amount of selling this crap anymore. No amount of preseason hype is believable. When the Board of Trustees eventually tires of losing money then maybe they will clean house.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
What is the real deal, that he can't get these guys to play a full 40 minutes of basketball? If he did it at Asheville, why can't he do it with the resources at MT. I wish people stop beating around the bush and say what is really going on.

There were small improvements to note but all improvements were obviously and easily washed out by piss poor end of half performances. I've never seen a team in 20+ years of watching CBB that so predictably just flat out folded at the end of halves. Weirdest thing I've ever seen to be honest and screams leadership, coaching, attitude, and player problems.

Defense as a whole was better but still played terribly in spots and stretches. I've never seen a team give up so many free and easy baskets around the rim. That's an effort, attitude, and teaching issue in my opinion. You have GOT to make it hard on your opponents to score. Look at a team like Loyola-Chicago and take some notes. Not the strongest defense in the world but it's certainly adequate and they're a team with an identity who knows what they are and plays within themselves. When you watch them on offense they look so fluid with every player on the floor knowing exactly what they need to be doing. It's remarkable to watch them play because they don't sign players any more highly rated than what we get here at MT but they have a system and team culture and high basketball IQ. Such a pleasure to watch and obviously also remarkably effective.

What happened to Tyson Jackson? He's gone now so I guess it doesn't matter but he looked so promising as a freshmen. I called him transfering mid-season after all he did was ride the bench mostly. How does he not get developed into a major contributor after looking so promising as a freshman? Fairly highly rated recruit, CUSA freshman team, had issues fouling but soft hands and played well around the rim. What the hell happened????

How can Elias King literally not understand how to play defense or play inside our offense and keep the motion and movement going? He looked lost out there most of the season outside of some nice 3 point shooting. Is he really that wet behind his ears that he's gonna need training wheels for two years and we'll be lucky to get a decent senior season from him? That's gonna be the result we get from a Top 150 player? This program isn't going anywhere with this type of result and development.

Jayce Johnson developed an outside shot and played well off the bench but then he's gone. Not that it really matters but says he didn't see eye to eye with our head coach. Not exactly a ringing endorsement but maybe he was just upset over not getting to start and playing time? Regardless, not the greatest look and hard to build a program if your bench players won't accept their role and be good bench players. A well-rounded culture with a strong emphasis on "team" helps with this. As does winning championships. Anyway. Jayce wasn't starter material and I never liked his original signing to begin with but he was one of our better bench players and an upperclassmen. Him leaving is not a good sign but it changes nothing for us going forward. It's just a bad sign and reoccuring theme that this staff has been unable to build a competitive team, much less push for a championship.

Leading scorer Jordan Davis gone. Big question I have is why? He was a starter and would have continued to start and played tons of minutes. I expected more from him but seems to be par for the course that our staff isn't turning anyone into a 1st team CUSA selection any time soon. Maybe he just got tired of losing and doesn't like the culture here. Regardless, it's a really bad sign when your leading scorer who was gonna be a senior transfers. He must have been extremely displeased with the current situation. Gonna be tough replacing him because he was one of the few players, and maybe the only, who could actually drive to the basket and finish around the rim. Shuler can but he may never play again after that bad injury.

Nothing really else noteworthy to talk about. You asked about Sims defense but honestly I don't even remember him on the court much for us this year. I certainly don't remember him scoring much for us, seems his scoring ability has regressed. Sims was an animal for us as a freshman but seems to have gotten worse with each passing year.

When I look at the rest of the roster it's just meh. I don't see any CUSA Of the Year type players, or even first or second team type talent on the roster. The future looks remarkably bleak. I think we'll be even worse next year with Jordan Davis gone, Shuler a big question mark, and no noteworthy new players to speak of. For sure another single digit win season coming as this just isn't a good team. The talent isn't there and without complete roster turnover and a whole bunch of fresh faces I see no major changes to the outcomes we've been getting. Eli Lawrence will be Eli Lawrence, Tyler Millin will be Tyler Millin, and so on and so forth. They are marginal D1 players and will continue to deliver marginal results. Feels like our staff is trying to force square pegs into round holes with our roster. Need to just dump them all and start over fresh if you ask me but that is unorthodox and obviously won't happen.

So I guess we are just going to be terrible until McDevitt's contract expires (3 more years) and then Dumb & Dumber will make another terrible hire and we'll repeat this whole process over again.

Such a wonderful time to be an MT fan.....not.

I've honestly accepted at this point. MT Athletics is dead to me. We had our fun in the sun with our tournament upsets and beating some programs I never thought we would beat in the NIT and just in general. Our football team had some big wins here and there and 1 memorable season. But it's clear none of that is coming back under our current administrators and "leaders." I've accepted it's never going to happen again because Massaro and McPhee are two of the most wholly incompetent people on this planet and they are not going to be going anywhere anytime soon. My only hope is that I will outlive them both, and maybe one day when I'm 70 or 80 years old in a nursing home circa 2060's I'll see MT with a new President and Athletic Director w/ competent coaches leading our Football and Men's basketball program delivering upsets in the NCAA tournament once again.

I think you're on to something with the knowing your identity angle.. not sure I'd use Loyola-Chi as Porter Moser only won 10 league games his first 3 years remained in the cellar of their league and took him 6-7 years to gain consistency- last 4 years have been great for them and yeah it looks great now in Year 10 with 4 senior starters most of whom have been in the program their entire careers..

As for knowing your identity- I think that's the problem as the staff isn't going after guys that they had to go after while at Asheville.. they looked for the guys who were overlooked, got in on guys early who were late bloomers, and the team basketball IQ was so much higher... UNCA's academic standards required that and it resulted in guys who could execute plays and were smarter in their on-court play.. it appears to me that with the increased resources and less stringent admissions criteria the staff is chasing recruits based on ratings rather than fit... players gaining an additional year also throws off the recruiting strategy/cycles..

As an example they had 4 centers this year (30% of the scholarship players), wasn't the original plan but that was the reality once Dishman's rehab limited him to a player he wasn't pre-ACL injury, Coleman-Jones wasn't/isn't consistent enough to step out further and shoot but he's the only one of the 4 that can face & shoot from 12-15 feet out- 4 BIGs who couldn't stretch the defense (Jackson, Fussell, Coleman-Jones, Dishman)- you only needed 2 in the rotation so Jackson & Fussell were odd men out as the other 2 were better than them.. the team was better with only 1 of them (back to the basket style guys) in the lineup at a time but then they ran out of guard/stretch forward depth once COVID exclusions and injuries occurred. Jackson really needed development over the summer- they call it a Soph slump for a reason and he needed to come into the year with better conditioning and some face to the basket options- didn't happen.

The deal with Sims is easy to see- he worked really hard on his strength and conditioning over the summer.. but he never got comfortable with an everchanging role even before the knee injury.. initially asked to facilitate and then when guys go out he's flip/flopped between facilitating one game, asked to be aggressive/score the next then back to facilitator, etc.. he couldn't get comfortable.. a lot of guys can't flip that switch.. then add the knee injury and he's not dependable towards the end..

Jordan Davis.. you're asking the wrong question in why is he leaving MTSU as a graduate .. why did he leave Dayton? He was starting and contributing- the team was on the rise- he was playing for Anthony Grant and with pro's (Antetokounmpko & Toppin).. plus Dayton is a crazy basketball loving community and phenomenally supported- players are rock stars there... If he wanted to be "the man" for a program he had more than ample opportunity to show it this year but he shied away from stepping up many times for this team with a very liberal system so what exactly is he looking for?

Last edited:
I think you're on to something with the knowing your identity angle.. not sure I'd use Loyola-Chi as Porter Moser only won 10 league games his first 3 years remained in the cellar of their league and took him 6-7 years to gain consistency- last 4 years have been great for them and yeah it looks great now in Year 10 with 4 senior starters most of whom have been in the program their entire careers..

As for knowing your identity- I think that's the problem as the staff isn't going after guys that they had to go after while at Asheville.. they looked for the guys who were overlooked, got in on guys early who were late bloomers, and the team basketball IQ was so much higher... UNCA's academic standards required that and it resulted in guys who could execute plays and were smarter in their on-court play.. it appears to me that with the increased resources and less stringent admissions criteria the staff is chasing recruits based on ratings rather than fit... players gaining an additional year also throws off the recruiting strategy/cycles..

As an example they had 4 centers this year (30% of the scholarship players), wasn't the original plan but that was the reality once Dishman's rehab limited him to a player he wasn't pre-ACL injury, Coleman-Jones wasn't/isn't consistent enough to step out further and shoot but he's the only one of the 4 that can face & shoot from 12-15 feet out- 4 BIGs who couldn't stretch the defense (Jackson, Fussell, Coleman-Jones, Dishman)- you only needed 2 in the rotation so Jackson & Fussell were odd men out as the other 2 were better than them.. the team was better with only 1 of them (back to the basket style guys) in the lineup at a time but then they ran out of guard/stretch forward depth once COVID exclusions and injuries occurred. Jackson really needed development over the summer- they call it a Soph slump for a reason and he needed to come into the year with better conditioning and some face to the basket options- didn't happen.

The deal with Sims is easy to see- he worked really hard on his strength and conditioning over the summer.. but he never got comfortable with an everchanging role even before the knee injury.. initially asked to facilitate and then when guys go out he's flip/flopped between facilitating one game, asked to be aggressive/score the next then back to facilitator, etc.. he couldn't get comfortable.. a lot of guys can't flip that switch.. then add the knee injury and he's not dependable towards the end..

Jordan Davis.. you're asking the wrong question in why is he leaving MTSU as a graduate .. why did he leave Dayton? He was starting and contributing- the team was on the rise- he was playing for Anthony Grant and with pro's (Antetokounmpko & Toppin).. plus Dayton is a crazy basketball loving community and phenomenally supported- players are rock stars there... If he wanted to be "the man" for a program he had more than ample opportunity to show it this year but he shied away from stepping up many times for this team with a very liberal system so what exactly is he looking for?

I really appreciate the insight. Have to think a lot of your thoughts you are relaying here is something you've been told from a staff member as it's very insightful. It's nice to hear the other side of the coin sometimes. I didn't even think about Tyson leaving being a numbers issue but it clearly is. Just more upset at the fact that he never developed when many, including myself, thought he could really be something in CUSA. Have to wonder if Tyson was kindly asked to leave or told he wouldn't see much PT here?

But yeah, having four 5 position players on your roster is insane. It's even more insane when you look at the lack of production and quality play we've had at the position. It's sad to think Dishman was the best we had at that position out of all 4 players. As mean as this sounds, I hope Dishman moves on. We are not going to win championships with him at the 5 position. He's average on a good day. Fussell and Coleman-Jones have gotta blossom, simple as that. We have to get better at every position. Substantially better. I guess Dishman could be a quality back up, but we really need to get better at the spot. Really hoping Fussell can be a beast for us.

Jordan Davis is a bit of an enigma. You're right in that you have to wonder what he's looking for. I guess he wants to start for an NCAA tournament caliber team? I suspect he left Dayton because he wanted to start, and he left here because he wants to win. So I'm assuming that's what he'll be looking for? Be a starter on a winning team. Who knows. We only had him another year anyway and he wasn't anything special. Good player, but he was no Giddy Potts.

With regard to Sims, I can see what you're saying. He was a pure facilitator as a freshman under Kermit. Might have took one or two shots a game. Kid could really play the point and run our offense and get the ball in our scorers hands in good spots. He didn't need to shoot the ball. Then with Nick he had to do more and start becoming a scorer. Now you're telling us he's being asked to do different things on different nights which just sounds like a bad situation to put any player in. But I guess when our roster is as weak as it is, that's the situation. The results certainly reflect it.

Let me ask you something King...do you really see a successful path forward here? This team needs to substantially improve. Fans are going to want results now but the reality is this thing needs to be built from the ground up because the program is in disrepair right now. Quick fixes are certainly possible and high roster turnover in CBB is a normal thing these days, but that's not the ideal way to build a championship program. It's hard to see a path forward with things as is in my opinion. It appears, to me at least, that the entire program along with the athletic department just needs to be flushed and start over clean. If I were the president I would fire Massaro today, give Nick 1 more year because we can't afford his buyout, and instruct my AD to start looking for another coach assuming we don't win CUSA or something crazy like that next year in which case Nick would obviously stay.

I don't think Nick is a terrible coach. What he did at UNCA was fairly impressive. Not otherworldly impressive, but pretty good all things considered. He's probably an average, middle of the pack CUSA coach if I'm being fair. But where are the horses man? We just don't have the players. All this talent on paper but no team play, no leadership, no culture, no system, no identity....and the players arn't even that good despite all those star ratings.

What are we and where are we going? This is CBB, not the NBA. You can't just get all the best players on 1 team and expect to win. You have to have an identity, a culture, a system, leadership, development.....That's what makes CBB so great. You have the Butlers, Loyola-Chicago's, Drakes, etc. of the world that clearly have inferior talent when compared to the P5's but it doesn't matter because they play as a team with such a high basketball IQ. They know what they are and they recruit and play within themselves. Does MT know what it is? Does this program have an identity/culture or even the desire to have an identity/culture?

We are going into Year 4 now with Nick. So I say again, what are we and where are we going ?

Last edited:
I really appreciate the insight. Have to think a lot of your thoughts you are relaying here is something you've been told from a staff member as it's very insightful. It's nice to hear the other side of the coin sometimes. I didn't even think about Tyson leaving being a numbers issue but it clearly is. Just more upset at the fact that he never developed when many, including myself, thought he could really be something in CUSA. Have to wonder if Tyson was kindly asked to leave or told he wouldn't see much PT here?

But yeah, having four 5 position players on your roster is insane. It's even more insane when you look at the lack of production and quality play we've had at the position. It's sad to think Dishman was the best we had at that position out of all 4 players. As mean as this sounds, I hope Dishman moves on. We are not going to win championships with him at the 5 position. He's average on a good day. Fussell and Coleman-Jones have gotta blossom, simple as that. We have to get better at every position. Substantially better. I guess Dishman could be a quality back up, but we really need to get better at the spot. Really hoping Fussell can be a beast for us.

Jordan Davis is a bit of an enigma. You're right in that you have to wonder what he's looking for. I guess he wants to start for an NCAA tournament caliber team? I suspect he left Dayton because he wanted to start, and he left here because he wants to win. So I'm assuming that's what he'll be looking for? Be a starter on a winning team. Who knows. We only had him another year anyway and he wasn't anything special. Good player, but he was no Giddy Potts.

With regard to Sims, I can see what you're saying. He was a pure facilitator as a freshman under Kermit. Might have took one or two shots a game. Kid could really play the point and run our offense and get the ball in our scorers hands in good spots. He didn't need to shoot the ball. Then with Nick he had to do more and start becoming a scorer. Now you're telling us he's being asked to do different things on different nights which just sounds like a bad situation to put any player in. But I guess when our roster is as weak as it is, that's the situation. The results certainly reflect it.

Let me ask you something King...do you really see a successful path forward here? This team needs to substantially improve. Fans are going to want results now but the reality is this thing needs to be built from the ground up because the program is in disrepair right now. Quick fixes are certainly possible and high roster turnover in CBB is a normal thing these days, but that's not the ideal way to build a championship program. It's hard to see a path forward with things as is in my opinion. It appears, to me at least, that the entire program along with the athletic department just needs to be flushed and start over clean. If I were the president I would fire Massaro today, give Nick 1 more year because we can't afford his buyout, and instruct my AD to start looking for another coach assuming we don't win CUSA or something crazy like that next year in which case Nick would obviously stay.

I don't think Nick is a terrible coach. What he did at UNCA was fairly impressive. Not otherworldly impressive, but pretty good all things considered. He's probably an average, middle of the pack CUSA coach if I'm being fair. But where are the horses man? We just don't have the players. All this talent on paper but no team play, no leadership, no culture, no system, no identity....and the players arn't even that good despite all those star ratings.

What are we and where are we going? This is CBB, not the NBA. You can't just get all the best players on 1 team and expect to win. You have to have an identity, a culture, a system, leadership, development.....That's what makes CBB so great. You have the Butlers, Loyola-Chicago's, Drakes, etc. of the world that clearly have inferior talent when compared to the P5's but it doesn't matter because they play as a team with such a high basketball IQ. They know what they are and they recruit and play within themselves. Does MT know what it is? Does this program have an identity/culture or even the desire to have an identity/culture?

We are going into Year 4 now with Nick. So I say again, what are we and where are we going ?
This post from you responding to the one from King is what I came to this board for. Not just complaining about the obvious issues, but an actual polite conversation about basketball. I agree about Sims. I remember his freshman year Tyrik was starting for most of the year and I had a friend who was a really good basketball player come to some games with me that year. He was very complimentary of Tyrik and even said he had UK type speed. When we were at the MTSU vs WKU game Sims started and he just mentioned how much more the offense flowed with him in the game. Sims is what Sims is. When he is doing what he was recruited to do the flow of the offense is just beautiful. This team has some of the pieces we need to be successful. All we can hope is that with the departures Nick can find the missing pieces. To me that is a big if right now, but I hope it happens. If Sims is coming back I want him facilitating this offense. When he has to some nights the kid can score, but that is not what he is meant to do. There is no one else on the team I want handling the ball.

24 total wins in 3 years. He won't win 10 next year. We'll have to what years 5 and 6 bring. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT