ADVERTISEMENT

Buffen transferring from Ole Miss

He was Kermit's prized recruit, ultimately his talent would have been wasted with the incoming staff.

He could have been a star in CUSA and probably could be even now but not here, not with this staff.

I hadn't noticed his minutes had dropped. Every time I watched Ole Miss he seemed to be an integral part of the team. A real surprise. I guess he won't play in the NIT???
Did you catch that the WKU PF (Williams IIRC) is not playing since he has hopes of an NFL career and is preparing for WKU's pro day.

Speaking of the Ole Miss LSU game...did anyone notice a member of our Athletic Dept sitting behind Ole Miss's bench and wearing Ole Miss gear? To each their own, but that didn't sit too well with me.

Reactions: C-Bow
Kyle is a basketball guy. He is a coach and loves the game (I am the same way). You develop relationships at this level with many coaches. There is zero argument that he doesn’t bleed blue for MT. Added, he is also the best color commentator in any MT sport over the past 2 decades I have been following blue Raider sports. So I have no issue with this.

I see is a man supporting his friend on a day off.

If Kyle is wearing OM gear when on the clock for MT, then it would be a problem.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Several years ago I sat in a booth next to Kyle and Diane Turnham at a restaurant close to the campus on West End. They both had MT gear on and were sitting with a gentleman (perhaps 2, I don't remember). Knowing who they were I admit I tried to eavesdrop on the conversation to see what I could learn.
I don't remember much (several years ago and I have ole-timers) but much of the talk was about various coaches. I distinctly remember a discussion of previous VU coach Eddie Fogler and Kyle's relationship with him.
All that said; I agree with you alshauf with one exception. I have no idea if Kyle is paid or is a volunteer for the men's games he joins Chip on but I know his wife holds a management position at MT. I don't mind Kyle attending the $EC tournament nor do I mind him keeping a relationship with previous MT employees but I do mind seeing him, or anyone else connected to MT, appearing in public in the garb of another school.

Reactions: MTTim and C-Bow
This is a non-issue. It’s actually great to see him supporting his friend. I’m not gonna lie anytime I hear that I’m here and interview with Kermit is coming up on either TV or radio, I’ll wait and tune in. I think for many of us Kermit is linked to the best moments that we have had as alumni or fans.

I do mind seeing him, or anyone else connected to MT, appearing in public in the garb of another school.

When I worked for East Carolina, I regularly wore MT and MSU gear in public because I went to those schools.. I wore a Duke hat when a friend and prominent Duke booster got me tickets in the Cameron Crazies section of the Duke - Albany game back in 08.I also wore ECU stuff sometimes as well.

This isn’t Coke versus Pepsi. Most university employees have strong ties to other schools they love and friends at other schools. When I work for a university, I absolutely represent that university well while on the clock, but that will never preclude me from supporting MT, MSU or being a fan of another school for the day to support family/friends on my own time.

Several psychological assessments I have taken have showed me to value loyalty much higher than a large percentage of the population. If I didn't value loyalty highly I doubt I would still be an MT fan since it is, apparently, so very easy for MT students/alumni/employees to jump on the bandwagon of other (probably "Power") schools.
The only way I can possibly imagine myself wearing the gear of another college/university is if I had a child or grandchild playing a sport for another institution and I was attending one of their games.
That's just how I roll, but after seeing results of my psychological profile I accept that others have different opinions and feelings on the characteristic of loyalty. At one time I saw anyone whose since of loyalty was less than mine to have a serious character flaw. Now I accept that good people can have different values.

This is a non-issue. It’s actually great to see him supporting his friend. I’m not gonna lie anytime I hear that I’m here and interview with Kermit is coming up on either TV or radio, I’ll wait and tune in. I think for many of us Kermit is linked to the best moments that we have had as alumni or fans.

Exactly. And not only that Kyle has two other attributes:

1) He’s one of the most genuine, nicest men I’ve had the privilege to know.

2) He’s as true blue as any of us.

There is obviously no ill intent here and he’s as Brad and a few others said just supporting his friend. Of the mountain of issues we have this certainly isn’t one of them.

Screams little middle to me and reinforces the prevailing Division 2 mentality plaguing our university. He is a paid employee and his wife is like the associate AD or something and he’s at the SEC tourney decked out in Ole Miss gear behind their bench ? It’s the most little middle thing ever in my eyes. I’m sure Massaro was at home with an ole miss t shirt on watching on TV. Maybe next year he will be bold enough to show his face behind the ole miss bench.

The optics of Kyle being visible in Ole Miss attire at $EC Tournament isn’t great. However, MT has far more serious issues than dealing with feedback about this screenshot. Personal friendships should be valued and socially I understand “why” he would make such an appearance. This ranks something on the scale as tolerable knowing about the relationship from afar in the fan chair.

That said, public appearance is examined by many. The technical letter of ethics may be acceptable with his or his wife’s affiliation with the University. But, optics can be described as cloudy as to where loyalty and allegiance lie—and that has been called into question by some on this thread, and perhaps rightfully so? On-the-clock official job appearance in this should not be “not allowed” in my view. That’s why care must be exercised whenever one wears, makes side comments, or makes secondary endorsements that affect appearances, representations, or social cachet of your employer that you or your family draw a paycheck. What one says and doesn’t say reflects volumes on ethics one has and doesn’t have. Same goes for acceptance of gifts and favors when public and public institutions of learning are involved.

Kermit is gonna be like Arnold Schwarzenegger and be back as our AD one day.

Book it.

I don't care if our radio analyst supports our old coach that gave us some of the best years of basketball. Kyle is a basketball guy.

I met him only one time and he was such a friendly person. Both he and Chip Walters are the most genuine people I have ever met within our AD.

Reactions: mtfblue
I think being at the game is not that big of a deal to most people. It's the fact that he is wearing Ole Miss gear that people don't like, which I kind of agree with it.

I worked on faculty for 2 universities.. In my free time, I wore MT and Mississippi St gear, while getting a paycheck from those other schools. If I was still at ECU on faculty, I would have worn a MT polo to teach the Friday before the ECU -MT football game back in 2013.

My family is now good friends with my neighbor whose son will play for Ohio State next year. If they invite us to a game with them, I would 100% wear scarlet as I cheered him on, unless OSU was playing MT, MSU or my current employer, if a university.

I am trying to imagine what I would say to someone if they told me I shouldn’t wear MT gear or support my friend and his son in my spare time because of “optics” for my current employer?There would be a lot of cursing on my part.

Do I really care? No. I don't really care about anything regarding this basketball program anymore as it's essentially dead. One of the worst programs in the country now and with McDevitt staying, it's gonna stay that way.

Consider the optics though. This situation is reinforcement and reaffirmation that we are a "small school" and it will always be acceptable for people to cheer for a "power" school on the side like Tennessee or whatever, in this case Ole Miss. This is a paid employee, whose wife is an associate AD, whose not only cheering but decked out in Ole Miss gear seated behind their bench. And our athletic department want's our fans to be dedicated and "bleed blue" ?? HA.

Do you think you would ever in a million years see this happening in a Power 5 conference? No. We all know it wouldn't, because it would be unacceptable, end of story. But we are little middle, playing in division 2, so it's okay.

Kermit likely gets fired next year. His recruits have just not panned out at ole miss. He’s gonna need Murrell to really step up next season and find some power house transfers AND find some leadership. He just hasn’t been able to put it all together at Ole Miss. SEC is a cut throat league and so hard to win in. There’s not a single gimme playing in that league as there’s quality players and coaching night in, night out.

Why are we discussing a guy on his off day wearing clothes that support a school his friend is coaching at? That does nothing but show how little we are as fans. Turnham was at an Ole Miss game behind Kermit his friend supporting him. It is nothing more and nothing less.

Why are we discussing a guy on his off day wearing clothes that support a school his friend is coaching at? That does nothing but show how little we are as fans. Turnham was at an Ole Miss game behind Kermit his friend supporting him. It is nothing more and nothing less.

Exactly.

Neil Price is now the voice of Mississippi State athletics and a MT grad.

If MT was playing WKU in basketball and Neil is there, I doubt anyone would be upset to see him in blue at that game.

Universities have thousands of employees with degrees from other schools. You can have loyalties to your employer, your alma mater and support colleagues.

This is a non-issue.

Exactly.

Neil Price is now the voice of Mississippi State athletics and a MT grad.

If MT was playing WKU in basketball and Neil is there, I doubt anyone would be upset to see him in blue at that game.

Universities have thousands of employees with degrees from other schools. You can have loyalties to your employer, your alma mater and support colleagues.

This is a non-issue.
I just wonder if those of you are so outspoken in supporting Kyle's actions aren't the same ones who are appalled that MT students wear other teams gear on campus and even to games.

It is obviously not a "non-issue" to some of BR fans. Accept the difference and let it go.

I just wonder if those of you are so outspoken in supporting Kyle's actions aren't the same ones who are appalled that MT students wear other teams gear on campus and even to games.

Those are 2 completely different things.

If you see no difference between how Kyle or anyone should dress at a MT event while representing the university and in personal time, then you’re right.

Again, by that logic Neil Price can never show his loyalty to MTSU in public and wear MTSU gear in any public situation because he works for Mississippi State now. That’s asking for one type of loyalty, but ignoring other types of loyalty and friendship that are just as strong.

We are both extremely high on the loyalty chart, I think it’s just a difference of expression expectations.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Maybe it’s just me but I get bigger heartburn over the school paying $750,000 a year for three seasons to a Head Men’s BB Coach who averages 8 wins a year and only 5 wins IN CONFERENCE. And right now the color guy’s wife oversees our only sport playing in the post season. We have much bigger problems than how her husband dresses on his days off.

Anyone heard from KingALing lately??

Last edited:
Those are 2 completely different things.

If you see no difference between how Kyle or anyone should dress at a MT event while representing the university and in personal time, then you’re right.

Again, by that logic Neil Price can never show his loyalty to MTSU in public and wear MTSU gear in any public situation because he works for Mississippi State now. That’s asking for one type of loyalty, but ignoring other types of loyalty and friendship that are just as strong.

We are both extremely high on the loyalty chart, I think it’s just a difference of expression expectations.

I believe I explained in a previous post in this thread that I have an extreme view of loyalty bordering on an obsession. It's OK that you feel differently.
You do mention the difference of a person's actions while representing his employer and on personal time. I would agree with that sentiment when one is working for a private company. One has freedom when away from work.
However, and this is where I would disagree with you somewhat. I grew up reared by parents who were public servants. They instilled in me that all public servants along with some others (ministers, etc.) should be held to a higher standard. They should do nothing on their free time which could be called into question and reflect on their character or their position. I won't go into details of behaviors I remember which reinforced this belief but there are many. In my time working in public service this belief affected choices I made until I left public service for other endeavors.
Back to Kyle: Had he appeared behind the bench in street clothes (no gear of any team) would he have even been noticed? What if he was in MT gear? Some might have looked at him a little strange for wearing a "lesser" school's gear to the mighty $EC tournament but if anyone who recognized him from MT they would only have seen him as being there supporting a friend.
He chose to procure and wear Ole Miss gear. Did he care if someone would make a deal out of it. Probably not. Will anyone call him out on it? Probably not? Will he ever be aware that his attire at the game has been discussed in this forum? Probably not? There will be no consequences.
IIRC this is not the first time this has happened. I don't remember the exact situation but some alleged huge MT supporter was seen sitting behind the UT-K BkB bench wearing urenge gear at a game where, again IIRC, MT was playing at UT-K. Some like to bask in the reflected glory of being connected to a "big-time" program. This will happen again.
I and apparently some others believe that Kyle's choice of attire reflected badly on himself and on MT. Others of you don't see the problem. I wish he hadn't worn the Ole Miss gear but if you don't have a problem that's OK.

Hopefully my last post in this thread because as several have said: When looking at MT athletics there are bigger fish to fry.

And I definitely do not wear MTSU apparel for Friday walkthroughs in Memphis at the stadium for former player Victory Walks with the team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT