ADVERTISEMENT

Brent Stockstill named starter

I hope he really plays well the first game and Grammer as well. Grammer needs to stay ready. He got banged up last year and Stockstill may as well.

Kind of thought he would let Grammer start so as not to be accused of nepotism. I am sure the offensive staff had input too.

Gotta say I'm surprised by this as well, but not totally. Brent opens things up more from a passing perspective, which if they want to move away from the read option style, this makes sense.

Still thought Grammer would get the nod to open things up, though..

I saw a tweet last week on their numbers from one of the last scrimmage. Not surprised.

That's what I was thinking as well.

It was a tweet from the last scrimmage:

From @MT_FB:

Here are the QB stats from Thursday's 90-play scrimmage: Stockstill: 20-25 for 183 yes, 4 TDs; Grammer: 13-20 for 81 yds,0 TDs, 1 INT

They've been playing it really close to the vest all camp. This is the only time I can remember Grott, Amato, or someone from MT mentioning stats.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Suprising not to see Sean Smith on the 2-deep at TE. Everything I've heard said he has played really well this fall.

Last edited:
I'm surprised about the QBs. But I trust our offensive coaching staff. I hope Brent lights it up! We know what we have in the backup.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. We all saw the Todd Dodge catastrophe @ North Texas when his son was named starting QB. I find it pretty odd that Austin Grammar wasn't at least given a chance to prove that he can retain the job considering he was on fire to start the year last year and slowly fell off (strongly rumored to be injury related).....I hope for everyones sake involved that we are very successful this year, but can already envision the backlash from fans if things go south and lil Stock is @ the helm. Truth be told I'm not a huge fan of either QB (I was an A.J. Erdely fan) but I feel like Austin should have at least had the opportunity to lose "lose the job."

I can't help but wonder how this sits with Austin and hope he doesn't take offense to it (it's difficult not to when you're so competitive) and straight up leave. It certainly does seem unfair to the kid.

I'm loving that Darius Harris will be behind Luckett at MLB. I think D. Harris will do big things here at MT over the next 2-3 years. I'm expecting some big things from our DE's this year as we've got some major talent at the position. Steven Rhodes, Peter Bailey, Chris Hale, & A. Antoine can all get after it.

And how about true freshman Chandler Brewer fighting his way into a starting left tackle position? That's CRAZY! Good for him. Between him and Carlos Johnson our tackle position should be solidified over the coming years.

I find it pretty odd that Austin Grammar wasn't at least given a chance to prove that he can retain the job

I feel like Austin should have at least had the opportunity to lose "lose the job."

It certainly does seem unfair to the kid.

What makes you say these things?

From what very little i've been able to catch (they've played the QB battle very close to the vest), it certainly seems like Stockstill won the job, it wasn't handed to him. Grammar had every chance to solidify himself as starter, and just didn't - let's face it - as a year older, and a full year as a starter, he should have been head and shoulders above Brent.

Unfortunately, the way the season ended for Grammar used up the equity he built up at the beginning of the year.

I hope for everyones sake involved that we are very successful this year, but can already envision the backlash from fans if things go south and lil Stock is @ the helm.

I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Stock's already proven last year that he'll start the best QB, that's why Grammar starter all year over Brent.

If Brent isn't getting the job done, I don't think Stockstill will hesitate to go to Grammar.

^^^ Don't forget so easily what happened at NoTex. Dodge Sr. ended up fired and Dodge Jr. ended up transferring to McNeese St. It'd be a shame if we saw a repeat of that here.

I can't imagine Stock Sr. playing his son if he's getting killed out there, but you never know. Then what if Grammar gets hurt, and we are stuck with a poorly performing Stock Jr. and nobody else to turn to ? There's not another QB on the roster with a pulse and rightly so considering the coaches son likely has the job locked up for the next four years unless he totally pisses it down the drain. So the criticism will start to rain down that maybe if the coaches son wasn't a QB on our roster, then maybe we'd have someone else who can throw the ball? I can just see things ending really, really badly if Stockstill & Grammar both struggle, granted most schools would suffer badly if their #1 & #2 QB's failed (Ohio St. won a national title with a third stringer though....?)...it would just be so much worse because it's the coaches son and you can bet people will harp on the issue, fair or not.

As far as Grammar goes, he has much more true game experience being our starter last year but also getting a decent amount of snaps two years ago too when the coaches were pissed at Kilgore. He started out last season on FIRE and we play some pretty big games early in the year so why not try to recapture that? I personally would have at least given the kid a chance to start against Jackson St. and maybe play 50/50 snaps with Brent for week 1. Then let Grammar try to go win the game @ Alabama and start Brent after that, assuming we lose to the Crimson Tide. At least then you'd have a game (granted it's Alabama) where you could say hey, you played bad, were gonna try something else. Instead, we talkin' bout PRACTICE....PRACTICE man. Patrick Jackson used to light practices up but the kid never made it further than 4th string for a reason.

I was really looking forward to going down to Bama and competing with the Tide which I think Grammar could do for at least a half. Experience is SO important when going on the road against powerhouse teams. Stock Jr. is gonna chewed up and spit out much more quickly than Grammar down in Tuscaloosa, though I'm sure nobody cares since our coaching staff always goes into those games with a losing mindset. Also, Grammar is from Tuscaloosa, so he was probably super excited to go down there and start against the Tide, which will no longer happen now. I could see all of this not resting well at all with Grammar (I know I would be very pissed, disappointed, etc.) It'll be very interesting to see how he takes it all. Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to see him transfer immediately if he isn't getting substantial playing time. Then we've got 1 live arm on our roster with a monumental task of trying to convince other kids to come play here. That's what happens when the head coaches son is your QB. It's exactly what happened at No Tex.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Mississippi Gulf Coast JuCo A.J. Erdely passed for 290 yds + 2 TDs vs NE Misssissippi JuCo - Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up with a Power 5 school before it's all said and done.

He was awful last year. I'm not surprised at all. (Singletary)

Didn't want to come out and say it (glad you did), but it's the truth. He's been burned with regularity. A statue would be an improvement, IMHO.

^^^ Don't forget so easily what happened at NoTex. Dodge Sr. ended up fired and Dodge Jr. ended up transferring to McNeese St. It'd be a shame if we saw a repeat of that here.

I can't imagine Stock Sr. playing his son if he's getting killed out there, but you never know. Then what if Grammar gets hurt, and we are stuck with a poorly performing Stock Jr. and nobody else to turn to ? There's not another QB on the roster with a pulse and rightly so considering the coaches son likely has the job locked up for the next four years unless he totally pisses it down the drain. So the criticism will start to rain down that maybe if the coaches son wasn't a QB on our roster, then maybe we'd have someone else who can throw the ball? I can just see things ending really, really badly if Stockstill & Grammar both struggle, granted most schools would suffer badly if their #1 & #2 QB's failed (Ohio St. won a national title with a third stringer though....?)...it would just be so much worse because it's the coaches son and you can bet people will harp on the issue, fair or not.

I'm going to be honest, that seems really far-fetched. You seem fixated on the fact that Stockstill is and will always play Brent simply because he's his son. I don't believe that to be the case at all. And that's not fair to either of them and there really is no basis for this.

Stock didn't prevent Brent from going to Cincy, he didn't start him last year even when Grammar faltered at the end of the year.

As far as Grammar goes, he has much more true game experience being our starter last year but also getting a decent amount of snaps two years ago too when the coaches were pissed at Kilgore. He started out last season on FIRE and we play some pretty big games early in the year so why not try to recapture that? I personally would have at least given the kid a chance to start against Jackson St. and maybe play 50/50 snaps with Brent for week 1. Then let Grammar try to go win the game @ Alabama and start Brent after that, assuming we lose to the Crimson Tide. At least then you'd have a game (granted it's Alabama) where you could say hey, you played bad, were gonna try something else. Instead, we talkin' bout PRACTICE....PRACTICE man. Patrick Jackson used to light practices up but the kid never made it further than 4th string for a reason.

We'll have to disagree here as well.

You can quote Iverson all you want, and I do agree that there's players out there who thrive in a game environment - but those are exceptions, not the rule.

If the guy is not performing in practice, in 7 on 7's with a no contact jersey on, I don't see how anyone can have any confidence that they'll perform when thrown into the fire for real.

Plus, you really risk losing the team at that point. The team knows who's playing well and not playing well. If a coach sticks with a guy who's not getting the job done, I think you could undermine the discipline and confidence of the team as a whole.

I was really looking forward to going down to Bama and competing with the Tide which I think Grammar could do for at least a half. Experience is SO important when going on the road against powerhouse teams. Stock Jr. is gonna chewed up and spit out much more quickly than Grammar down in Tuscaloosa, though I'm sure nobody cares since our coaching staff always goes into those games with a losing mindset. Also, Grammar is from Tuscaloosa, so he was probably super excited to go down there and start against the Tide, which will no longer happen now. I could see all of this not resting well at all with Grammar (I know I would be very pissed, disappointed, etc.) It'll be very interesting to see how he takes it all. Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to see him transfer immediately if he isn't getting substantial playing time. Then we've got 1 live arm on our roster with a monumental task of trying to convince other kids to come play here. That's what happens when the head coaches son is your QB. It's exactly what happened at No Tex.

If a guy can't do better than 13-20 for 81 yds,0 TDs, 1 INT against our own defense in a final scrimmage, then I don't know if it's realistic to expect him to go and light up Nick Saban's Bama D in Tuscaloosa.

Let's face it, Grammar started off hot last year, but cooled off quite a bit last year. He's got some limitations we've all seen. It's very probable that once teams started to get some film on the guy, they we're able to exploit his weaknesses.

He followed that up with a spring where he couldn't hold off a guy with less experience and a year behind in the system, and then by all evidence was beaten out on the field during the course of fall camp.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe that maybe Brent is the better QB?

Anyhow, I think we'll see both vs JaxSt. And probably Alabama as well.

If a guy can't do better than 13-20 for 81 yds,0 TDs, 1 INT against our own defense in a final scrimmage, then I don't know if it's realistic to expect him to go and light up Nick Saban's Bama D in Tuscaloosa.

I'm really tired of people bringing up the scrim numbers. Do you know if Grammar was facing the #1 or #2 team defense? Was Brent facing the #1 or #2 defense? Was Grammar taking snaps with the #1 or #2 offense? I'll guess nobody here knows, so therefore those stats mean squat and I wish people would stop quoting them. Maybe Grammar was playing with the second team offense against the first team defense....that's hardly fair. While Brent played with the first team O against the 2nd team D (Scrims typically are handled in this manner) - so please, stop with the training camp stats.

I'm not in the least bit a Grammar fan, but you want to talk about undermining a team? The head coach names his son the starting QB and we start out 1-5 behind Brent after Grammar started the year off hot last year. Pretty sure that's going to undermine things a lot more than starting Grammar and giving him an opportunity.

And with regards to me being obsessed with Stock Sr. only playing his son, if Grammar leaves/is injured then that's what we are stuck with. (Which is exactly what happened in Denton)... Erdely saw the writing on the wall and left and nobody else on the roster is even close to being a serviceable FBS QB at this point, so it's really Stock Jr. or bust if anything happens with Grammar.

For our sake, I hope I am dead wrong and we win the conference (Put $50 on MT at +1000 odds, so $50 to win $500) with Brent & Grammar both tearing it up, however; it is quite naive to ignore the potential for a shit show should things go south with the coaches son at the helm.

1) Class has already started at most universities, so I doubt Austin leaves immediately.
2) Austin is a redshirt junior so if he leaves he will have to go the FCS route to avoid sitting out the last year of his career.
I understand where WIley is coming from but look at it this way. If Brent comes in and lights it up then we have a superstar for the next three years. If he stinks up the place we knew what we have backing him up.

I'm really tired of people bringing up the scrim numbers. Do you know if Grammar was facing the #1 or #2 team defense? Was Brent facing the #1 or #2 defense? Was Grammar taking snaps with the #1 or #2 offense? I'll guess nobody here knows, so therefore those stats mean squat and I wish people would stop quoting them. Maybe Grammar was playing with the second team offense against the first team defense....that's hardly fair. While Brent played with the first team O against the 2nd team D (Scrims typically are handled in this manner) - so please, stop with the training camp stats.

Hate on the stats all you want, but we don't have any other information to go on.

We don't know the circumstances. For all you know, Brent put those #'s up against the ones.

All we know at this point is that:

1. 4TD's and 80% and almost 200 yds beats 60%, 1 INT and 0 TD's and sub-100 yards.
2. The guys whose livelihoods depend on getting this right have chosen the guy they think will be the best for the program.

Or we can put our tinfoil hats on and come up with strange conspiracy theories all we want about how Stock is going to sabotage the program he built for his son's sake, but the only concrete evidence we have are those stats.

I'm not in the least bit a Grammar fan, but you want to talk about undermining a team? The head coach names his son the starting QB and we start out 1-5 behind Brent after Grammar started the year off hot last year. Pretty sure that's going to undermine things a lot more than starting Grammar and giving him an opportunity.

You can't possibly know how we'll play over the next 6 weeks.

Again, what do you base the idea that Grammar never got an opportunity?

What your proposing is that Grammar should be handed the starting job, despite the performances of spring and fall camp, despite the collapse of the 2nd half of the season - regardless of what anyone else on the roster does- all because he was hot at the beginning of the year.

As far as I can tell, AG and BS went through the entire spring as 1A and 1B, with pretty much equal reps.

And with regards to me being obsessed with Stock Sr. only playing his son, if Grammar leaves/is injured then that's what we are stuck with. (Which is exactly what happened in Denton)... Erdely saw the writing on the wall and left and nobody else on the roster is even close to being a serviceable FBS QB at this point, so it's really Stock Jr. or bust if anything happens with Grammar.

So what. That's life for about 128 other college football teams not named Ohio State.

What are you going to do - not play your best players so your backups don't get mad?

For our sake, I hope I am dead wrong and we win the conference (Put $50 on MT at +1000 odds, so $50 to win $500) with Brent & Grammar both tearing it up, however; it is quite naive to ignore the potential for a shit show should things go south with the coaches son at the helm.

Literally, the only possible way this can happen is if:

1. Brent isn't any good, which you don't know and remains to be seen.
2. Grammar is not just good but better than Brent, which is debatable considering we had a fall camp to sort out.
3. Stockstill continues to play Brent to the detriment of the team, which is absurd.

The funny thing about this thread is that we had quite a few incumbent starters lose their jobs to younger or newer guys. I know that QB is considered the most important position on the team but just look at the depth chart and the number of guys who went from being starters to backups.

The funny thing about this thread is that we had quite a few incumbent starters lose their jobs to younger or newer guys. I know that QB is considered the most important position on the team but just look at the depth chart and the number of guys who went from being starters to backups.

At this point can't believe anything but we've upgraded at each of those positions.

Hate on the stats all you want, but we don't have any other information to go on.

We don't know the circumstances.

If you don't know the circumstances then stop quoting the numbers. You think researchers, financial advisors, or anything else based around numbers would use such weak evidence? If you don't know the circumstances surrounding them then stop using them??? Not knowing the circumstances isn't an excuse to continue to use them LOL

Or we can put our tinfoil hats on and come up with strange conspiracy theories all we want about how Stock is going to sabotage the program he built for his son's sake, but the only concrete evidence we have are those stats.

Nobody has said that. I've explained that we might end up being stuck with Stock Jr. should something happen to Grammar (injury or transfer) so for everyone's sake involved, this staff better had got this right back when they decided to accept Stock Jr on the team because as long as he's here you can bet we won't have a ton of talented QB's on the roster. Coach Stock openly admitted he was very involved in evaluating the QB's all summer long, so at the end of the day it was his call so don't try to put this on other staff members.

So what. That's life for about 128 other college football teams not named Ohio State.

???? We had 3 or 4 legit FBS QB's here at nearly all times under McCollum...(Who actually all went on to start and do well for an FBS team....) Clint Marks, Sam Hunt, Joe Craddock, Andrico Hines, John Harris....So don't act like this is an impossible feat for a small program, though it probably is when the coaches son is on the QB roster

What are you going to do - not play your best players so your backups don't get mad?

No, but when you've only got 2 legit arms on your roster and one of them is your son and you can't afford to lose either player I would probably give my non-relative the benefit of the doubt a few times over to dispel any concerns of nepotism.

Literally, the only possible way this can happen is if:

I'll correct you here

1. Brent doesn't get the job done
2. Grammar is injured or leaves (thus forcing Stock to stick with a struggling Brent)

Doesn't seem all too far fetched to me....

Last edited:
If you don't know the circumstances then stop quoting the numbers. You think researchers, financial advisors, or anything else based around numbers would use such weak evidence? If you don't know the circumstances surrounding them then stop using them??? Not knowing the circumstances isn't an excuse to continue to use them LOL

You have a half dozen posts in this thread accusing the coaching staff of favoritism, roster mismanagement, and flat out nepotism.

But if I quote scrimmage stats - woah, that's just crazy!!!

How about this - you have absolutely no way to know about the circumstances that led to the team naming Brent the starter. You didn't observe practice, you're not in the team meetings, you certainly don't believe the scimmage stats that Amado posted.

Yet that isn't stopping you from accusing the staff of various transgressions.

Nobody has said that. I've explained that we might end up being stuck with Stock Jr. should something happen to Grammar (injury or transfer) so for everyone's sake involved, this staff better had got this right back when they decided to accept Stock Jr on the team because as long as he's here you can bet we won't have a ton of talented QB's on the roster. Coach Stock openly admitted he was very involved in evaluating the QB's all summer long, so at the end of the day it was his call so don't try to put this on other staff members.

???? We had 3 or 4 legit FBS QB's here at nearly all times under McCollum...(Who actually all went on to start and do well for an FBS team....) Clint Marks, Sam Hunt, Joe Craddock, Andrico Hines, John Harris....So don't act like this is an impossible feat for a small program, though it probably is when the coaches son is on the QB roster

No, but when you've only got 2 legit arms on your roster and one of them is your son and you can't afford to lose either player I would probably give my non-relative the benefit of the doubt a few times over to dispel any concerns of nepotism.

At this point, it's very clear that you're just axe grinding.

Possibly because your chosen one is now putting up meh #'s at a Mississippi JUCO.

It's time to let your love affair with Erdely go. He's gone. He quit. He ain't coming back.

I'll correct you here

1. Brent doesn't get the job done
2. Grammar is injured or leaves (thus forcing Stock to stick with a struggling Brent)
Doesn't seem all too far fetched to me....

If Grammar is hurt - then this is all moot anyway.

Again, you're assuming that Grammar is going to get his panties in a wad in the next 4 days and leave in a hissy fit. That's not going to happen.

And again, what's your remedy for the situation - play the guy that lost the position battle just because he might get mad and leave?

That's insane.

You know, I've been a poster/reader for 10 years or so now. I've gotten into with Wiley on quite a few occasions. But I must say, he's really toned it down and matured. I have too. But it's interesting this is the same guy who was banned how many times just to immediately create a new username?

But anyway my point is I'm proud of the guy. He's still well informed and respectful, and I'm happy he still posts. Cheers, Wiley!

Enough with the hyperbole Doug. I have no axe to grind with this staff but I certainly don't think they're the brightest tools in the shed and deserve a free pass with zero questions asked. For their sake and our teams sake I hope Brent breaks every record at MT but if he turns out to be a bust and Grammar can't get the job done either there's going to be a lot of difficult questions coming their way. (ie. Do you think previous QB's who left would have stayed if your son wasn't a QB on the roster?......Do you think you could have recruited better QB's without your son on the roster?) These are legit, valid questions with pretty obvious answers.

You are not an idiot Doug and you know Brent coming to MT has made it much more difficult for our coaches to find quality QB recruits. The Urzua kid isn't anywhere close to being ready and was a terrible sign IMO. He MIGHT be 150 lbs soaking wet on his best day despite what GBR says. If we can hang on to Kyle Banks I'll give the staff mad props for reeling him in despite having Brent on the roster but my money is still on him ending up at a power 5 school. Reality is since Brent has become a Blue Raider, we've yet to add a single QB with a pulse to our roster and have actually had a good QB leave the program because of the obvious writing on the wall.

Last edited:
Enough with the hyperbole Doug. I have no axe to grind with this staff but I certainly don't think they're the brightest tools in the shed and deserve a free pass with zero questions asked. For their sake and our teams sake I hope Brent breaks every record at MT but if he turns out to be a bust and Grammar can't get the job done either there's going to be a lot of difficult questions coming their way. (ie. Do you think previous QB's who left would have stayed if your son wasn't a QB on the roster?......Do you think you could have recruited better QB's without your son on the roster?) These are legit, valid questions with pretty obvious answers.

These are only legit valid questions if you honestly believe that the only reason Brent is here is because his dad's the coach. That is absurd.

There's no reason to believe that Brent won't work out. If he doesn't, then Grammar will. And if Grammar doesn't work out, there's Urzua.

If none of them work out, then we're screwed. But again, tell me how that's not like every other college football team?

You don't like Urzua as a prospect. OK. But let's not act like we can't recruit a QB - sake it's been 1 recruiting class since Brent showed up in 2014. And we signed a kid in Urzua who also had a WKU offer and was a top performer in Georgia.

FWIW, our depth chart looks a lot like Florida States, and LSU's, and Tennessee's - when you get down to the 3rd string QB - you're looking at a true freshman.

You are not an idiot Doug and you know Brent coming to MT has made it much more difficult for our coaches to find quality QB recruits. The Urzua kid isn't anywhere close to being ready and was a terrible sign IMO. He MIGHT be 150 lbs soaking wet on his best day despite what GBR says. If we can hang on to Kyle Banks I'll give the staff mad props for reeling him in despite having Brent on the roster but my money is still on him ending up at a power 5 school. Reality is since Brent has become a Blue Raider, we've yet to add a single QB with a pulse to our roster and have actually had a good QB leave the program because of the obvious writing on the wall.

You can't see the forest for the trees.

You're looking for a QB with a pulse? Well, the guy who won the job is the highest rated QB and most highly recruited QB we've signed probably in 10 years. And he's a sophomore. If he's good, he's going to be here for a while. That's exciting, IMHO. You should be excited, but instead your fretting over the 3rd stringer.

If he flames out, then we have Grammar. Who's pretty good as well. Honestly, I look at our QB situation, and have to believe it's one of the better ones in college football. Our backup is a legit starter.

Reactions: NUTZ4UMTSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT