ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Board of Trustees Gets Updates

"President Sidney A. McPhee told trustees that the Tennessee Higher Education Commission has OK'd a new bachelor's degree in data science that will launch next fall."

I am SO excited...

Spin it the best way possible but....

The reality is no one will pay to watch redshirt senior graduate students go 4-8.

But the BOT, or at least a few of them, show up to SM’s suite for the free food and booze, win or lose.

Last edited:
Can someone with better knowledge explain briefly just what the duties, powers and responsibilities are of the BOT?

Do they even have the capacity to do anything but kowtow to the Board of Regents and rubber stamp what the president recommends?

And as it pertains to this message board: Do they have any oversight at all for the athletic program?

Can someone with better knowledge explain briefly just what the duties, powers and responsibilities are of the BOT?

Do they even have the capacity to do anything but kowtow to the Board of Regents and rubber stamp what the president recommends?

And as it pertains to this message board: Do they have any oversight at all for the athletic program?
Boards generally serve to guide the institution, implement policy, and oversee the administration.

And yes, they do have some “oversight” over the athletic program. Massaro mentioned to Casey and I about three years ago about he communicates with Board about facilities and other athletic needs

My understanding is the MT BOT provides formal “oversight” to the University President and makes budget recommendations to THEC which interfaces with the Legislature. They can recommend tuition increases and assessments of fees, degree programs, and set various policymaking aspects of the university, which presumably includes athletics. Think the BOT are also responsible for audit and internal control oversight, if that were a major issue.

The only thing I see our board doing better than the TBR is the governance is more tailored to MT when presented in Nashville; however, our failure to obtain Valparaiso Law School (infamous 8-5 vote against last year) definitely hurts the credibility of the power of the BOT in that light.

I wish someone would ask for a true accounting of gross and net revenues for athletics minus the student activity fee subsidy welfare check and actual tickets scanned attendance.

Then I’d like to compare that to the actual revenues directly attributed to our stellar GSR ranking.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT