ADVERTISEMENT

Blitz

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Does this make any stops outside the county? Why should anyone care at this point???

What product do they offer to excite anyone to even come out for this? I'm not sure there's anything these folks can do that moves the needle for me.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Prolly been 8-9 years since they came to Franklin/Cool Springs and held one of these at Drake’s. Kinda like a mini Vol Caravan.
BRAA Golf outing in Temple Hills was killed when Roy left and McCluney moved it to one event in Nashville.
For comparison, Memphis had 10,000 fans for their Spring Game and Friday Night Lights promo. BBQ contest and such. Did MT even promote/have a Spring Game? I have no idea.

I wish them well but I’m out.

Last edited:
Reactions: subkyle
I attended the event at Drake's and IIRC that is the last time a MT caravan/blitz has made it outside of Rutherford Co.
Wasn't much like most school's caravans since I don't remember a program. What I do remember is that most of the coaches and higher ups seemed as if they didn't want to be there - spent their time talking among themselves. Of course, one of them is very shy and another is an arrogant p--k (IMHO). Only one spoke to us as I was downing an adult beverage with my better half - both of us wearing MT gear.
As for MT having such an effort. I've stated often that MT really should have a presence in Nashville every year (along with The Boro) and rotate a few events among the larger mid-state county seats. I would also like to have seen events rotate between Chattanooga, Huntsville, and possibly Jackson.
But, such a caravan/blitz should have been started when we moved to D-1 in FB and continued with a concerted effort to revise and improve annually. Too late now, we have nothing to sell.

I use to provide the subway sandwiches for Roy’s golf event in Nashville every year and sponsored a hole. After he left I called the BRAA office that next year to ask who my new contact was regarding events and I was blown off like a cheap date. That place is run so poorly. If I ran my business like that I wouldn’t have a business

I use to provide the subway sandwiches for Roy’s golf event in Nashville every year and sponsored a hole. After he left I called the BRAA office that next year to ask who my new contact was regarding events and I was blown off like a cheap date. That place is run so poorly. If I ran my business like that I wouldn’t have a business
I remember those subs!!! 👍😉Did you do the one at Temple Hills too?
It’s a shame how the BRAA basically evaporated after Alan, Roy and Clint bailed. Good times. The event at Temple Hills was always full, well attended even after Stock and staff quit coming. Kermit and Insell were still dependable to show up. I did a hole sponsorship and the golf carts sponsorship every year for Roy as well.

Last edited:
I sure hope they plan to include the back to back CUSA champion men’s tennis coach. He actively works alumni and donors which is something sorely lacking within the entire athletic department.

Blue_Raider_Blitz.png
One of these is not like the others. Can you name which one and why???? 😂

Speaking of crappy athletics, I noticed that MT doesn’t host the TSSAA championship games in baseball anymore. At least the spring fling used to put the championship game on campus.

Massaro et al don’t barely fake trying these days. Massaro and McPhee should be embarrassed by how much they make in salary for how little return they produce. I hate that those men are on our payroll.

Honestly Toman is definitely improving the program, so he does not deserve to be grouped in with Stock and McDevitt. Stock did improve the program initially, but has since gotten complacent. I think Toman will get us competitive soon. He has only had 2 full seasons. He never had a losing season at Liberty. I think he will do fine. He just needs some time in a very good CUSA to get his roster up.

Honestly Toman is definitely improving the program, so he does not deserve to be grouped in with Stock and McDevitt. Stock did improve the program initially, but has since gotten complacent. I think Toman will get us competitive soon. He has only had 2 full seasons. He never had a losing season at Liberty. I think he will do fine. He just needs some time in a very good CUSA to get his roster up.
I hope we can somehow lock down Kyle Bunn. I mentioned it before, but if we lose Kyle to P5, then we will take a step back. He is one of the few MT coaches that deserves a raise. I hate to say it, but I question if Hunt is the right man for the job as a hitting coach. Comparing the pedigrees, experience and results of our hitting and pitching coach shows a big difference. A bit off thread topic, but I think this will be important to the baseball team’s success and Toman’s success moving forward.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Got the email yesterday. Hour and a half mid-week Blue Raider Blitz during lunch 12:00-1:30 in Downtown Franklin on a Thursday while many of us are working in Nashville and will be commuting back home that evening.
Nor will I be hanging around Germantown from 6-8pm the same day.

Last edited:
Boy, they are really going all out
I thought the same thing. The Americana Tap House (formerly Puckett’s Boathouse) has a private room upstairs that can barely accommodate 30-40 people. Downstairs main dining room will be the usual lunch crowd and tourists staying next door at the Harpeth Curio Hilton. A real marketing person would have the events reversed but by now, I’m used to this. Not a single event on a weekend. Fewer people, fewer tough questions to have to answer or explain.

Think about it.

Last edited:
I'm glad they are doing something and the list of cities is good, or would have been for such a caravan 15 or 20 years ago. (As I've stated often IMHO we should have a presence in Nashville and The Boro every year, in Chattanooga and Huntsville in alternate years, and rotate among three or more larger mid-state county seats each year.) With the decreasing fan base and the recent lack of success in major sports I'm afraid drawing anyone now will be a real problem without a grass roots effort (and do we have any roots that are not dead?).

I agree that lunch time is not good for the reason given by FranklinRaider31 and additionally unlike some of you (LOL) many don't start consuming adult beverages until later in the day and what's a social event without time to enjoy a drink of choice.

I wouldn't have missed going to one of these a few years back but while I'm within 40 minutes of several of the events this year I'm afraid I won't be going. I'm having withdrawal pains but I'm taking a step back.

I remember a few gatherings in Huntsville at the Space and Rocket Center when Dr. Walker was running things and the whole university was full of promise. I also remember Boots making a speaking appearance in Fayetteville, which I also attended.

Just not interested in anything these folk have to say these days. Got to see results and some accountability for failures before before I change my POV.

They are “promoting” these functions like it’s after the 2009 bowl win over So.Miss or the 2016 upset of Mich St. and fans will attend them as a “destination” event. It just shows how out of touch these folks are with their fanbase. Nobody cares enough to make an effort to attend these things on “their terms” anymore. The only way they will draw anyone is to make it as easy as possible to attend. Having midweek, midday functions are ridiculous. It’s all for show, not for results in engaging the fans or listening to their concerns.
Both major Mens revenue sports are
coming off 2 and 3 straight losing seasons, respectively.
They’ve had months to survey and poll alumni to prepare for these things in order to maximize attendance. It’s downright comical.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Anybody got a firsthand report on attendance from Mt. Juliet at lunch or Shelbyville for Happy Hour??

I got a text that there were 4 confirmed in Shelbyville. They hit Franklin and Nashville tomorrow.

Anybody got a firsthand report on attendance from Mt. Juliet at lunch or Shelbyville for Happy Hour??

I got a text that there were 4 confirmed in Shelbyville. They hit Franklin and Nashville tomorrow.
I am visiting my parents in Shelbyville this week and had no idea this was even occurring. Not sure if the local paper dropped the ball, MTSU, or me just not seeing it in advance. I would have went and kissed and given Rick my $100 if he would drop #EATT. Living out if state, would have been the closest I have gotten to MTSU this year.

Side note: I did appreciate a couple years ago when they were in Minnesota (my current location), Rick did call me and thanked me for coming to the game before they lost by 30.

No former history teacher Rick Insell? Interesting omission..maybe he is on the recruit trail.

From reading the account on goblueraiders.com it appears that some of our more loyal and connected fans are choosing (perhaps they were asked) to attend more than one of these events. I have to say that's a good move (could it be that someone in Murphy is thinking "outside the box?") to make it appear throughout the area that the athletic program has more support than would be apparent if you just dropped into town for these events. Gotta say that in my more loyal years I would have attended more than one event had I been asked; now that I've pulled back I won't be attending any.

Must make mention of one embarrassing incident for this MT fan during the Bill Peck era when an event was held in Nashville. I don't remember how I found out about the event - at the time I took The Tennessean, the Banner, and the DNJ (by mail since I wasn't in Rutherford Co.) and listened through the static to Monte Hale, Sr.'s morning sports report on the way to work; all to keep up with my BRs during the dark ages of communication.
Regardless, since fans were asked to attend I drove to Nashville for the event only to find out, IIRC, that in attendance other than Coach Peck, his son, the father of a recent Nashville signee (Vantrease ?), and a couple of reporters from The Tennessean and The Nashville Banner I was the only fan who attended. Of course by being the only fan other than the parent of the player to attend I was lucky enough to beat out the parent and win the door prize which was, again IIRC, a couple of tickets to the first game which I didn't use since I had season tickets and could find no one to take the tickets I "won" (I tried).
It has always been lonely being a MT BR fan.

For years, I bought at the very least a couple hundred dollars worth of MT apparel and other licensed stuff, and have a walk in closet full of sweatshirts, jackets, t-shirts, etc. Outside of tickets, I have not bought anything MT related in a couple of years.

When I recently moved, I was overwhelmed with the tailgate paraphernalia, canopy, chairs, etc. I had collected over the last couple of decades, and that is no longer a big part of my life on fall Saturdays.

I guess I am backing away in my own way, while not completely divorcing myself from MT and MT athletic events. I never thought I'd feel the apathy I do. I suppose the excitement and passion could return, but I think it will take a complete changing of the current regime.

If the Blue Raiders show any proof of life after Liberty, I might be a walk up purchase candidate. I’ve got 4 lower sideline season tickets in Memphis but Miss St. and SMU will prolly be the only ones I can muster the desire to drive 6 hours roundtrip.

Caption for the pic of Nick and Rick:
Rick: I think I'm feeling pressure to win.

Nick: PUH-LEEZE, Rick. I'm 24-60, have progressively regressed each year, and I feel juuuust fine. Relax.

Rick: Yeah, you're right, Nick. I should know better by now. Thanks!

• Haha
That nose gaiter pic for your avatar always makes me laugh! But sadly, our MT Athletics have become a laughingstock the last few years.
It's a fitting symbol for the football program... :cool:

It has been frustrating... if nothing else the offense will be addition by subtraction (franklin) this year in football.

I'm really interested to see how much impact Dearmon has on the offense.

Reactions: Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT