ADVERTISEMENT

Blackburn new Senior Associate AD

Home run move. This is a guy many, many people wanted at UTK as AD.

Personally, I'd much rather Blackburn be involved in the decision making than Massaro.

Reactions: amgtmom
To add a little more - this was a guy who was known as pretty demanding "my way or the highway" at UTK - not afraid to step on a few toes if needed. This was one of the reasons he didn't get the UTK job - he had a ton of support amongst UTK AD staff and the fan base, but he had the cojones to tick off a few of the behind the scenes power brokers in Knoxville.

He's not the type of guy to look at a football record of 7-6 as some great success.

This could be just what we need.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
To add a little more - this was a guy who was known as pretty demanding "my way or the highway" at UTK - not afraid to step on a few toes if needed.

He's not the type of guy to look at a football record of 7-6 as some great success.

This could be just what we need.
Agreed. Effective marketers aren't satisfied with the status quo...

Gosh, that’s a tough approach to take, though I can see both sides. I worked for the same corporation 40+ years and I would not have been able to openly explore another job, unless maybe we had been going through a major reorganization.
That said, 2 real life examples played out in ATL the past few years. Dan Radokavick? was the GT AD. The Clemson AD job came open and after he was hired, he said I was totally transparent with Dr Bud, GT President throughout the entire process. He was never not aware of where I was in Clemson’s selection process.
Secondly, Todd Stansbury, a GT alum, was interviewing for the AD job at Oregon St. Their Pres asked him his dream job and he said GT. He was selected as Oregon St AD. If they ever want me I would want that job. 16 months later the GT AD job came open and he openly pursued it. IIRC, there was a very onerous buyout, especially for an AD, that Stansbury & GT had to pony up.
Based on what this guy accomplished at UTC they had to know he would want a bigger challenge, especially at his alma mater. Looks like a grand slam hire on the surface. Though I have no doubt the bottom feeders will find something to B & M about.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Blackburn is from Loudon (my hometown). My mom was his middle school teacher. Small world.

Off topic, but Randall, are you related to coach Thompson from Loudon?

I have vivid memories of games against the Redskins and Bill back in the early to mid-90s. My first ever HS at bat as a freshman was against Loudon.

Off topic, but Randall, are you related to coach Thompson from Loudon?

I have vivid memories of games against the Redskins and Bill back in the early to mid-90s. My first ever HS at bat as a freshman was against Loudon.

No, last name is different by one letter. But I know Coach very well. He was basketball head coach for one year when I was playing, but obviously built his legacy as the baseball coach.

You are obviously right. In a late night time change induced exhaustion I thought it was the same. The fact it auto corrected to a different name should have been a hint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT