ADVERTISEMENT

Big Win; Dead Board

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
Wow! Problems in MT land. I'd pretty much call any win vs Marshall a big win. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the board seems dead for such a win.

I'm glad MT won and all, but that game appeared to me to be a comedy of errors. I'm glad for the players, but what the heck is Buster doing? How much longer will coach stock allow the Buster walking dead show to continue? When the Fox Sports analyst is repeatedly questioning the play calling and game management of MT's offense on tv, it should be some sort of red flag.

Anyone else see the incredible play call to run a reverse to Grammer to throw for an INT late in the half when MT had been driving into scoring position again in a 7-7 game? Then at half, the on field Fox Sports reporter asks coach stock why he would blow a scoring opportunity at least a FG just before half time. Coach Stock response was an emphatic, Field goal?! This game isn't going to be decided by a field goal! Well.....I think most of you know how that turned out. Almost laughable if it weren't so sad.

I think the board will be dead any time we win now. So many have made up their mind and winning hurts their position. If we win out and go to a bowl some folks will be miserable...

It will take a regime change to ignite the fire again. Stock, on average, gets one win that he shouldn't every year. This is the one for 2015. We all know this chorus, song, and dance.

I'm at tailgating soon and battery going dead. We were favored today so we didn't steal the win. We had many opportunities to put it away. Yes we got lucky.

Good win but we really didn't play well. That is not the Marshall of years past.........

After the Vandy loss then bludgeonings at WKU and LaNeck its going to be a tough revival.

We just beat an 8-1 team. I'll take that any day. I'm proud that we stayed with them and that we made the plays we needed to in the OT's to get it done. Jeremy Cutrer getting that block was huge.

Reactions: ToddMalone
Will agree that we need more Blue Raider faithful in the stands. East side of the stands (lower level) was about 60 percent Marshall, they brought an impressive contingent from 5.5-6 hours away (by car) from the tri-state area of KY/OH/WV. Where I was sitting on west side there were lots of empty bleachers and some chairbacks. Really disappointing home turnout for the magnitude of game. Like I said, it's a win, but we were very fortunate that Marshall was not in rhythm and we allowed only 7 points in first half. Our turnovers didn't hurt us much, except we could have had a lead at the half instead of being tied. One win down, need three more to close out the 2015 regular season.

Reactions: ToddMalone
I for one am excited and was at the game too. Most of the folks on here predicted a loss and we won but they still aren't happy. Nothing we can do. Yeah, it shouldn't have gone in OT and yes, the game management in the late 4 Quarter was abysmal but MArshall wasn't flat. Our D played their guts out. They made a ton of plays tonight. We are 2-1 vs. Marshall since we've joined C-USA. Who else is in the last 3 years? Go Blue! Beat FAU!

happy with the MT win.
Says a lot about the character of both the players and coaches, I think.

Hopefully excitement will return to be like it was during the first few years of the move to Div 1-A. Once the crowds increase I hope to return, but right now the crowds are too low, making it too easy to see and be seen, and I'd rather not risk being accused of stalking my ex. Haha!

I am happy for the win as well...but left with a bad taste in my mouth for our fans. I sit in 2H right at the 45 yard line. The box behind me is full of a bunch of drunks who are just plain embarrassing. I am tired of shit being spilled on me and my family. Tired of their over the top heckling of opponents fans. So much so, we are moving our season tickets for next year, in fact, since I know there are 20,000 open seats we will be moving the next game.

Concerning attendance - you simply can't be upset with folks sitting these games out. Our window is early in the season, there is no picking up fans late just because you get a win.

Back to the game, incredible highs and incredible lows. Our coaching is still sub par. There seems to be no realization of game situations in the 4th Q (or late in the half). Our offensive philosophy is off and cannot close out games, ever without hitting big plays - we have no ability to just get first downs and grind out the clock.

To Cody Clark - I am proud of you son! That was a big kick, and I am happy for you - you deserved to make one. Now get ready, because your going to need to make another big one for us to win out.

Apathy among the larger fan base. You have the die hards, but the more casual fan base has lost interest after the two blowout losses.

Reactions: bigbadjohn45
FWIW, I don't think it's just a dead board. I think it's a dead fanbase. The die hards are clinging on, supporting the team through thick and thin. The more casual fan base has written the team off after the blowout losses to WKU and LaTech.

The in-game atmosphere is dead and aside from an inconsistent product on the field, nearly 31,000 seats is about 6,000 too much at this point in time. 25,000 seat stadium would create a more intimate environment, create more demand for tickets (everyone knows MT tickets are always available b/c games never sell out), and 15,000 in a 25,000 stadium looks better than 15,000 in a 30,000 seat stadium.

one of the things we make fun of are sidewalk alumni from other schools especially P5 schools. I truly believe that most people are bandwagon fans and arent true die hards. With that being said if we are realistic we already know we have a fickle fan base to begin with( we have been 1A/FBS for 15 years, We have hosted SEC, Big 10 and ACC schools, We have had a couple of 8 win seasons and a 10 win season and we still havent sold out our 30,000 seat stadium) So I'm not sure why you all are expecting our "fans" to show up to a game that we enter into with a 3-5 record. Maybe when we win next week the Athletic and marketing departments will come with a plan to market the final game and get the attendance over 20K for senior day, but with that said the key at this point is for the team to win out and win a bowl game and actually carry that momentum into next year and not lay an egg when everyone shows up again in August and September.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
our "fans" can think of more excuses NOT to support their team than any fan base I know. Hey, we beat an 8-1 team that thought there was no way they would lose to us. I will take it!! I am not happy with our record and some performances but I am not always happy with other things I have no control over. So congrats on a good win against a supposedly superior opponent and I will continue to attend games and support my team.

All of this is true but like golf, you just need one good shot to keep coming back and last night was it for me. I'll be back next year. :) It ain't up to me to figure out why people don't show up. I show up and that's all I can control. Marshall could have thumped us and we could have laid an egg but we battled against a very good defense and Lil Stock put up big numbers while we rushed for over 200 yards. If we don't turn the ball over, we would have beaten them by 17 points. Our freshmen and newcomers stole the show last night. Des did great even though he did fumble, Stock did his thing, and Richie James is just a beast. Cutrer got the block. We have a lot of upside. I'll see y'all for the UNT game.

Todd, you can come up and sit with me. I'll be your alibi if the ex goes rougue. :)

I am happy for the win as well...but left with a bad taste in my mouth for our fans. I sit in 2H right at the 45 yard line. The box behind me is full of a bunch of drunks who are just plain embarrassing. I am tired of shit being spilled on me and my family. Tired of their over the top heckling of opponents fans. So much so, we are moving our season tickets for next year, in fact, since I know there are 20,000 open seats we will be moving the next game.

Concerning attendance - you simply can't be upset with folks sitting these games out. Our window is early in the season, there is no picking up fans late just because you get a win.

I sat with some Vandy guests in the last couple of rows of Section 1J earlier this season. We experienced the exact same thing from the open air boxes behind us. Unfortunately, the drunks in the open air boxes are not monitored and since they are allowed to bring and stock their own hooch, you can't cut them off at the end of the 3rd Qtr. like the Titans do. If you really like your seats, my suggestion would be write a letter to TBOR and copy Dr. McPhee to make them aware of the problem.

http://www.goblueraiders.com/sports/2014/8/20/FB_0820142218.aspx?id=101

"In adherence to TBR Policy, no alcoholic beverages of any kind are permitted on the MTSU Campus"

Apparently, you guys have never been to an SEC game with the likes of UT, LSU, BAMA or Florida because compared to those places, MT is pretty tame. I've seen people get the crap knocked out of them. I've seen that at Memphis too BTW. I saw a dude spill his drink on a guy and his whole crew basically started kicking the crap out of him. I've not ever seen anything like that at MT compared to what I've seen elsewhere. It's no less irritating though. Come up to 2HH. No drama up there at all.

Reactions: Predarat
Apparently, you guys have never been to an SEC game with the likes of UT, LSU, BAMA or Florida because compared to those places, MT is pretty tame. I've seen people get the crap knocked out of them. I've seen that at Memphis too BTW. I saw a dude spill his drink on a guy and his whole crew basically started kicking the crap out of him. I've not ever seen anything like that at MT compared to what I've seen elsewhere. It's no less irritating though. Come up to 2HH. No drama up there at all.
People make mistakes. Even SEC fans.

I am excited to win the game no doubt and this was a must win for Stock and company. The rest of the games this season are a must win for Stock and company. Marshall beat Purdue and we could not get it done at Illinois. Good win in the backdrop of a horror film.

Our team needs to win out in order to get the fire back. Go Blue.....

It looks pretty obvious the die hards arrived here on the board. It just doesn't seem anyone much beyond die hards are around any longer. As someone sort of mentioned, sidewalk alumni would be nice. Like em or not, they pretty much come with the turf of tremendous success.

IMO, it will take years to build the fanbase back up. That is even if coach stock and team get on a hot streak with lots of success. Folks are talking like the crowds disappeared after the two big losses this season. The crowds disappeared years ago. Earlier in coach stock's tenure when he was new and having some unexpected success, crowds were in the 22,000-23,000 range early in seasons. Now the larger crowds earlier in the season seem to be around 15,000-16,000 range unless the opponent brings some fans i.e. Vandy. To me, just getting back up to 15,000-16,000 in attendance is poor. Poor expectations have lowered the bar too much. 25,000 size crowds are an obtainable goal and expectation for early season games vs garden variety opponents. Big games i.e. Marshall, WKU & Vandy ought to be close to filling the stadium.

I've lost confidence in coach stock's ability to get it done at MT. As much as I like that he seems like a solid and honorable man and coach, I just don't have the confidence that he will get it done. Maybe with Brent and a change of OC, maybe he could pleasantly surprise me. I do think it will take more than 1 season of success. I think it will take 2 to 3 seasons of sustained success to get the good size crowds back in the stadium consistently. IMO, the lack of fan support and attendance is the biggest problem speaking to the current state of the program under coach stock.

History and contractual factors point to coach stock being here easily another 4 years short of 20 game losing streak, going on an axe murdering spree, or retiring. The best hope is that he can get the team to some 9 or even 10 win seasons, C-USA championships, and bowl wins for a couple of years. Then some of the crowds might start returning. I'm just not that confident that he can get that done. I will say though that I thank Brent Stockstill looks like a QB capable of easily leading a team to 10 wins.

Brent is possibly the best QB I've seen at MT in 20 years. With all the buzz of him at Siegel HS, I wondered if he would be rated a 4 star recruit. He looks to me to be playing like a QB that deserved a 4 star rating.

2HH really is the best place to watch the game. Great fans and great view. I was second row right behind the Shirley clan for years and honestly miss it. I kept my seats for a few years but finally let them go in 11 or 12. If life ever changes and we can't do the OAB. We will be back up there in a heartbeat.

I am happy for the win as well...but left with a bad taste in my mouth for our fans. I sit in 2H right at the 45 yard line. The box behind me is full of a bunch of drunks who are just plain embarrassing. I am tired of shit being spilled on me and my family. Tired of their over the top heckling of opponents fans.
CUT THAT PONYTAIL

Haha, I heard about the Ponytail incident. It sounded fun.

Well, if that was the only incident, but it went on and on. I sit right below that box. They reak of alcohol. Multiple times this year we have had things spilled on us. At some point the taunting is just juvenile.

Give hell to the team, give hell to the refs but calling out traveling fans is over the top. I hope we can get to a point one day where we travel to a CUSA game like Marshall does.

Traveling fans should NOT be in that section. We needed ticket nazi's to show them to their correct seats

I agree - or MT fans should come to the games? We actually had some friend who politely ask the Marshall fans to relocate and they did.

I agree - or MT fans should come to the games? We actually had some friend who politely ask the Marshall fans to relocate and they did.
That's the key. With the CUSA rules about that not being student seating, fans have to buy those season tickets. If not, then Ticketmaster doesn't ask what team you root for so the ticket nazi won't help.

It goes both ways. Down in front of our OAB, an MT fan asked politely for some Marshall fans around him and his family with smaller children to please tone down the language. They immediately tried to get in his face and started pointing and cursing him so we had no problem giving them grief the remainder of the game.

One 9 win season will get them back for the next year but 2 back to back 9+ will bring in a new breed of fans. Looking at the depth chart we should be in great shape on the offense but the defensive side looks shaky. We need a stud juco LB and Free Safey to make me feel better. I think our DL will be good next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT