ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Big 12 expansion now alive, well and likely after being presumed dead

I find the B12 expansion fascinating.

BYU is the best football tradition available.
All the Texas schools (outside of UT) want Houston. The Texas Tech president is on record backing Houston.
UConn and Cincy make sense for a WVU eastern partner school.
UCF and USF would provide a B12 foot print in Florida, which every conference wants.

Then there is Memphis. Literally no current B12 school wants then. The only reason they are being considered is that they could buy their way in. It's like a jerk kid that no one likes getting invited to a birthday party because his parents buys all the other adults and kids gifts. It's sad.

You take it any way you can get it.
I'd say RaiderDawg78's assessment is fair. Memphis MAY get the Big 12 invite, but it won't be on a tradition of excellence in football and recent mediocrity in basketball (well, mediocrity since Calipari left). IF Memphis gets the Big 12 invite, it will be because they bought it. Kudos to them for having a booster (well, booster who owns a Fortune 500 company) who is willing to fund such a move. A Memphis-to-Big 12 move MAY open up the door for MT-to-AAC (replace Memphis with Nashville).

Big 12 FB coaches prefer Houston and BYU : http://espn.go.com/college-football...cougars-byu-cougars-expansion-espn-poll-shows

Houston to Big 12 also has political support in TX, recent success, tradition, and solidifies Texas as "Big 12 country."

I do, however, see a very real possibility for Cincinnatti as a travel partner for WVU.

Also, to further complicate Big 12 expansion is the recent report from Bill Snyder that two former Big 12 schools want back in (I'd have to say Nebraska and Colorado because I don't see Texas A&M or Missouri giving up the SEC television paycheck).

Reactions: dukewayne
I'd say RaiderDawg78's assessment is fair. Memphis MAY get the Big 12 invite, but it won't be on a tradition of excellence in football and recent mediocrity in basketball (well, mediocrity since Calipari left). IF Memphis gets the Big 12 invite, it will be because they bought it. Kudos to them for having a booster (well, booster who owns a Fortune 500 company) who is willing to fund such a move. A Memphis-to-Big 12 move MAY open up the door for MT-to-AAC (replace Memphis with Nashville).

Big 12 FB coaches prefer Houston and BYU : http://espn.go.com/college-football...cougars-byu-cougars-expansion-espn-poll-shows

Houston to Big 12 also has political support in TX, recent success, tradition, and solidifies Texas as "Big 12 country."

I do, however, see a very real possibility for Cincinnatti as a travel partner for WVU.

Also, to further complicate Big 12 expansion is the recent report from Bill Snyder that two former Big 12 schools want back in (I'd have to say Nebraska and Colorado because I don't see Texas A&M or Missouri giving up the SEC television paycheck).

BYU and Houston make logical choices. If I were a fan/alumnus in the Big 12, BYU and Houston are who I'd be wanting to add. Maybe there will be enough sports related minds such as the football HCs that will influence the decision based on sports instead of being bought.

On a slightly related topic:

If Memphis is the butthole of the state of Tennessee, what does that make Univ of Memphis?

I think if the Big12 expands to 4 teams, I think Memphis will get the invite...Memphis is in SEC country, and trust me the Big12 would love a presence in the South, losing Mizzu and A&M stung them badly.

As far as FB tradition, if that is a requirement then none of us have the pedigree to improve our lot.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I think if the Big12 expands to 4 teams, I think Memphis will get the invite...Memphis is in SEC country, and trust me the Big12 would love a presence in the South, losing Mizzu and A&M stung them badly.

As far as FB tradition, if that is a requirement then none of us have the pedigree to improve our lot.

Which begs the question.....is MTSU currently positioned to fill the spot that a Memphis exit from the AAC would create?

Actually, a big thanks to Tommy West is in order. His very public termination day rant got a lot of the big boosters fired up about "putting something into it" instead of "or do away with it!"

The questions has been asked a couple of times now. What are Massaro and McPhee doing to position MT if Memphis gets B12 invite? Any comments or quotes from them on this question? I rememeber they stumbled a bit when presenting us to C-USA. "Marshall, WV and Greenville, SC".

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
How about this question... Do we even have enough money for a buyout if we even had a shot at that conference? We barely had enough cash to get out of the belt.

Personally, I couldn't care less. Let's win the title in this conference first before we leave it. That 315 dude keeps wishing on a star. Kinda sad.

How about this question... Do we even have enough money for a buyout if we even had a shot at that conference? We barely had enough cash to get out of the belt.

Personally, I couldn't care less. Let's win the title in this conference first before we leave it. That 315 dude keeps wishing on a star. Kinda sad.

Ok. Enough of the personal attacks. It's a valid question regarding AAC consideration. Then again, I get it as you stated many times, your life revolves around MTSU Football (even if it is 1-AA all over again.) Yaaaay!

Ok. Enough of the personal attacks. It's a valid question regarding AAC consideration. Then again, I get it as you stated many times, your life revolves around MTSU Football (even if it is 1-AA all over again.) Yaaaay!

You know, at times in the past I thought maybe you were somewhat of a lukewarm MT fan while also being a fan of other area schools. Then I started to think you might be a bandwagon fan although you might have ties to MT.

Then for sometime in giving the benefit of the doubt since I don't really know you, I've thought perhaps you're somewhat of a bandwagon fan who ignorantly talks down MT with that affinity for other area teams. I've gone back and forth on that one with lukwarm MT fan and bandwagon fan that talks down MT if MT is not beating everyone all the time.

Now for a little while, I'm really beginning to wonder if you aren't just a troll.

More Big 12 expansion talk

At the bottom of the linked article, this quote below indicates that they are going to invest HALF a BILLION $$$$ in academic and athletic infrastructure. Where in the heck are they getting that kind of money? Is FedEx going to hand over half a billion bucks to Memphis? Do they really have that much money laying around? It took, what, almost 20 years for MT to finally get the $140 million for the long overdue science bldg?

"Memphis, however, has also promised to make a $500 million investment in academic and athletic infrastructure over the next five years."

More Big 12 expansion talk

At the bottom of the linked article, this quote below indicates that they are going to invest HALF a BILLION $$$$ in academic and athletic infrastructure. Where in the heck are they getting that kind of money? Is FedEx going to hand over half a billion bucks to Memphis? Do they really have that much money laying around? It took, what, almost 20 years for MT to finally get the $140 million for the long overdue science bldg?

"Memphis, however, has also promised to make a $500 million investment in academic and athletic infrastructure over the next five years."

I have been sharing this for weeks now and all I get are jabs about crime, murder, butthole jokes and troll labels. I don't need to share my level of commitment to MTSU Athletics over the last 10 years but I can assure you I am no troll and hold a graduate degree from MT. There are some here who know me personally and have also expressed their concern over the athletic budget constraints, poor attendance (actual numbers not reported numbers) and the long term direction of the program.

I have been sharing this for weeks now and all I get are jabs about crime, murder, butthole jokes and troll labels. I don't need to share my level of commitment to MTSU Athletics over the last 10 years but I can assure you I am no troll and hold a graduate degree from MT. There are some here who know me personally and have also expressed their concern over the athletic budget constraints, poor attendance (actual numbers not reported numbers) and the long term direction of the program.

I don't have any problem with those concerns you express here. I think they are valid issues worthy of good discussion. Obviously, I can only speak for myself. To me, sometimes your comments haven't read so much about those legit issues. To me, your comments have at times read more like promotions of other area teams to which MT has some level of rivalry on the court or field. The message in your recent post hasn't come through to me in some other posts. I get that humor, emotions, or sarcasm to name a few don't always come through accurately online. I enjoy sarcastic humor, but I have a hard time executing that online. But I digress. In short, I really haven't even known of your concerns with areas of the athletic dept. Then again, I don't necessarily get around to reading every thread. Be that as it may, some of your comments have come across more as promoting area rivals rather than expressing or discussing concerns about some of these sizable issues facing MT.

In the spirit of trying to understand some of this combined with the earlier post linking to ESPN, how in the heck is Memphis even being mentioned in investing half a BILLION DOLLARS in academics and athletics? Is the reporting inaccurate? Is FedEx willing to contribute that huge chunk of cash? Memphis and MT have been under the same state system for years that is not UT. For me, it's almost impossible to imagine MT being able to say MT is embarking on a half a billion dollar investment in academics and athletics. Again, it took about 20 years for the state to finally allocate the $140 million in the state capital building program. That was for the ever increasingly important core science dept building that was so old and outgrown for the modern needs of the vastly larger student population and relevant technology. Then consider all of that with something as simple as MT football not even being able to afford a few million dollar indoor practice facility that is apparently becoming the norm for C-USA level programs.

By the way, I still think it was comedic gold in my joke about the city of Memphis being the butthole of Tennessee, what does that make the Univ of Memphis?

That's not a personal attack, just some fun trash talking and joking to entertain the fellow locals.

Reactions: MidTnBlues
I don't have any problem with those concerns you express here. I think they are valid issues worthy of good discussion. Obviously, I can only speak for myself. To me, sometimes your comments haven't read so much about those legit issues. To me, your comments have at times read more like promotions of other area teams to which MT has some level of rivalry on the court or field. The message in your recent post hasn't come through to me in some other posts. I get that humor, emotions, or sarcasm to name a few don't always come through accurately online. I enjoy sarcastic humor, but I have a hard time executing that online. But I digress. In short, I really haven't even known of your concerns with areas of the athletic dept. Then again, I don't necessarily get around to reading every thread. Be that as it may, some of your comments have come across more as promoting area rivals rather than expressing or discussing concerns about some of these sizable issues facing MT.

In the spirit of trying to understand some of this combined with the earlier post linking to ESPN, how in the heck is Memphis even being mentioned in investing half a BILLION DOLLARS in academics and athletics? Is the reporting inaccurate? Is FedEx willing to contribute that huge chunk of cash? Memphis and MT have been under the same state system for years that is not UT. For me, it's almost impossible to imagine MT being able to say MT is embarking on a half a billion dollar investment in academics and athletics. Again, it took about 20 years for the state to finally allocate the $140 million in the state capital building program. That was for the ever increasingly important core science dept building that was so old and outgrown for the modern needs of the vastly larger student population and relevant technology. Then consider all of that with something as simple as MT football not even being able to afford a few million dollar indoor practice facility that is apparently becoming the norm for C-USA level programs.
The total commitment from FedEx ( that was shared with me) is $1B over 15 years. It's real. And it has all the other schools being considered scrambling to match it. After watching Louisville continue to move upward and onward over the past 20 years, Memphis supporters finally realized that college football drives the bus, not basketball. Now what I'd like to know is Middle TN positioned to make the move into that slot in the AAC when it opens up? Especially after the recent TV contract payout announcement by CUSA. I can assure you the Marshall and So. Miss folks are all over it right now.

Last edited:

Now what I'd like to know is Middle TN positioned to make the move into that slot in the AAC when it opens up? Especially after the recent TV contract payout announcement by CUSA. I can assure you the Marshall and So. Miss folks are all over it right now.
The simple answer is yes, the MT Adminstration is (and has been) working on positioning the athletic department to make the jump to the Big East (old name)/AAC (new name). Whether or not the MT alumni, boosters, and fan base provide the financial support to make the jump is another question

Reactions: TeKEraider
The total commitment from FedEx ( that was shared with me) is $1B over 15 years. It's real...

With all due respect, #*$@! Memphis. If Memphis is involved in the B12 expansion or not, MT leadership should be positioning us to be the best athletic program in C-USA. Massaro should be exploring every opportunity to improve our brand, no matter what it is. Whether it is in C-USA or trying to move to another conference, the goal is to improve our brand.

Here's my problem with your posts - you keep saying if Memphis goes to the B12. What about all the other schools? If Cincy, Houston, UCF, USF, or Tulane goes? Why ask about only if Memphis goes? The only thing that separates MT and Memphis in July 2016 is a FedEx checkbook. You mention recent football success - They just lost their once in a lifetime QB & HC - they are going to nose dive faster that you can say Derek Mason replaces James Franklin. Literally, you come across as the kind of guy who goes to a friends new house warming party and brags on another friends nicer home.

Again, you know 99% of this board hates UM; what could possibly be the purpose in pumping UM up (instead of just B12 expansion in general) if not just to troll those on here? You literally couldn't be a better troll if you were a UM fan acting like a MT grad. Have some self-awareness.

In the DNJ today, the CUSA commissioner said any schools leaving would forfeit the next 2 years revenue...it sounds like you don't actually right a check, you just don't collect monies already earned. I could be wrong but this is what I "thought" I read.

With all due respect, #*$@! Memphis. If Memphis is involved in the B12 expansion or not, MT leadership should be positioning us to be the best athletic program in C-USA. Massaro should be exploring every opportunity to improve our brand, no matter what it is. Whether it is in C-USA or trying to move to another conference, the goal is to improve our brand.

Here's my problem with your posts - you keep saying if Memphis goes to the B12. What about all the other schools? If Cincy, Houston, UCF, USF, or Tulane goes? Why ask about only if Memphis goes? The only thing that separates MT and Memphis in July 2016 is a FedEx checkbook. You mention recent football success - They just lost their once in a lifetime QB & HC - they are going to nose dive faster that you can say Derek Mason replaces James Franklin. Literally, you come across as the kind of guy who goes to a friends new house warming party and brags on another friends nicer home.

Again, you know 99% of this board hates UM; what could possibly be the purpose in pumping UM up (instead of just B12 expansion in general) if not just to troll those on here? You literally couldn't be a better troll if you were a UM fan acting like a MT grad. Have some self-awareness.
Feel better now?

I thought that Banowski initiated a 5 million dollar exit fee to any school that leaves after 2014. I guess I could be wrong but I thought there would be an exit fee instead of a forfeit. Is that a forfeit of revenue in the new conference that CUSA team moves to? Not getting money from a conference you already left isn't really a penalty at all. Think there would be an exit fee since everyone else has one.

Anyone spending a billion dollars to get a piss pot school like Memphis into a P5 conference is a complete moron. Hell, if he spends a more than 100,000, he's pretty stupid. This is why I don't believe it all that much. I've heard of this "crazy money" for over 2 years now and if the Big12 hasn't moved on it already, why would they now when they already have a 2017 championship game? Even if UM made the move, they would have the smallest athletic budget in the conference. Why wouldn't daddy Warbucks change that first? It's all insanely stupid to me.

Now 315 says they are supposed to announce these moves in the 3rd week of a College Football season when AD's HC's, Presidents and the conference commish are fully engaged in the most important sport in the country? Again, I call B.S. on all of it because none of it makes any sense at all.

The Big 12 has stated they want to move forward but they don't have a friggin clue about who they are choosing and won't have any more of one smack in the middle of football season. They still are not a completely united front about it either. The Big 12 is worried that they will fall behind the other P5's. Uh, too late. The cart not only got in front of the horse on this, the horse died like 2 years ago and the cart has been dragging it ever since. Adding 4 AAC G5 teams would kill that conference and they would end up disbanding within 3 years. UT, Okie, TCU, Texas Tech and Okie st, would be gone who else would be left worth watching?

Again, I could be completely wrong. It's just an opinion. Donald Trump is the official republican presidential candidate now so anything can happen I guess. It would be completely stupid to invite 4 AAC teams (3 of which with no real football resume) but hey, the way we're going, it probably won't even matter in 4 years. All of this defies any real common sense so good luck to all parties involved.

I do wish we could just move Murder City into Arkansas and be done with it. A jacked up city for a jacked up state. Perfect match. Plus, Tennessee would save a crap load of money not having to support that city's welfare and police needs alone. #movethatstatelineover30miles

Last edited:

Don't pour blood in the water, dress up in a seal suit, happily jump in the water and then complain about multiple shark attacks. You've trolled and baited us for a long time. The level of condescension that comes from your posts is amazing to say the least. We get it dude, you like Memphis. That's ok actually. You also went here and went to 20 other schools apparently which is fine too of course. However, if any of those other schools do better than us, you always seem to use this as a place to fire shots while saying you care at the same time.

The rest of us on here don't play both sides. We just have the one. Therefore, people aren't gonna agree and will voice their differing opinion. Welcome to message boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
I just hope we're ready for the next round of realignment when it comes.

Then again, maybe some of you are content to be champions over ODU and Charlotte.

I know McPhee sometimes does things a number us would like to see done another way. Massaro seems to do a real good job even when sometimes I think things aren't going in the best direction. From what I can tell, the move to C-USA wasn't exactly perfect regarding the realignment process. I do hope they are on top of things as they seemed to finally do with the move to C-USA.

At times over the last handful of years, I've had my concerns regarding some coaching situations. Massaro staying the course has produced some good results. There is a lot of stability in individual programs. Now, coaches are staying who could be making more money at other schools. That says a lot in my opinion. Hopefully quality coaches combined with stability will continue to yield more and more improved success.

Not that I'm exactly a man out and about town, but I don't necessarily see some huge benefactor pumping tons of cash into MT every few years. It would be nice, but I guess MT will just have to succeed the old fashioned way.

I don't know what will ultimately happen with Memphis or the Big 12. I do know that I hope MT whoops Memphis everytime MT plays them. Obviously Memphis has basketball tradition. I'd be incredibly surprised if Memphis can maintain football success the next few years. The top QB is gone as is the coach to VT.

Reactions: mtsportsfan
It's not that I'm content with where we are. My influence is incredibly limited as a fan. I'm not gonna get worked up if we don't move up. I have stresses in my life and this ain't one of them. Look, I'd say that about Memphis too. If they stayed in the AAC, it's still a good spot to be in. If Massaro sent out a letter to fans saying "hey, we're moving up and we need money to do it" I would be in and would give to that cause. That's gotta be on him and McPhee to initiate it. We can bark at them but it's still on them so they need to be ready, not us.

I hope we have a good year. We have the talent to win the east. That's what our team can control so that's what I'm concerned with. Camp starts next week and I can't wait.

Last I checked, the AAC isn't discussing or considering expansion. So why don't we cross that bridge when the time comes, IF it ever even comes? I'm sure Massaro and his minions are doing their due diligence. Who cares beyond that. We've got a very important season on the horizon with the potential to win 10 games.

On the other hand, your beloved Memphis Tigers are about to catapult back into mediocrity/dumpster tier. You better hope the B12 comes calling soon because after Tiger High wins 4 or 5 games this year it won't matter how much money PimpEx forks over to try and buy their way in.

Speaking of poking fingers in peoples' eyes. I've tried the ole olive branch. Seems some are determined to poke fingers in eyes of others around here. Instead of discussing problems and finding solutions for MT here on the MT message board, it's all about other area schools (Memphis this time) and all that's wrong with MT even if it's irrelevant history. There's no coincidences.

Reactions: TeKEraider
It is pretty pathetic-- CBS Sports on Desperate AAC Schools

From linked article-

"Decorum be damned. Actually, it's damn embarrassing to watch some of these schools flash their wares like they're in a Bunny Ranch lineup."

I have to agree with Finebaum on this. Big 12 is way too hasty. They went from not even knowing if they wanted a conf championship game all the way to looking to add 2-4 teams. In their haste, is there really any taking time to think if any of these teams reportedly under consideration even belong or can help the league?

The discussion on College Football Live today helped me understand the Big 12's haste a little better. You all may have known all this. The talk and move to "superconferences" is apparently alive and well. The ACC reportedly getting their own long term big money ACC network deal with member teams locked in seems to have created this scramble with the Big 12. Not only is it about money for a conference network deal, expectations are that there will be one more consolidation of "superconferences." I guess the idea is it will go to the Power 4. Texas and Oklahoma et al will be prime candidates for moves to one of the other Power 4 superconferences. It would leave the handful of remaining teams to be on the outside looking in regards to big $$ and playoff access. Back to Group of 6 I guess.

The way they were talking on ESPN, the PAC 12 is slightly vulnerable. They suggested the Big 12 is the likely conference to fall as the power programs will like be poached and broken up among the other superconferences.

Again, most of you all may have known that already. It was somewhat news to me as I thought power conferences were settling down for while.

Getting an AAC invite may require some major fence mending with Navy after the Ft. Worth eye poking debacle that replayed over and over on national TV.

If that comes into play, then Memphis has no chance after the thug mugging that Memphis players started at the end of their bowl game a couple of years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT