ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Big 12 expansion now alive, well and likely after being presumed dead

Memphis is in the driver's seat. Sit back and watch. I hope Massaro and McPhee are ready to pitch the AAC after the Tigers pay the $10 million exit fee.

I really don't see tx, ou, osu and Kansas staying in the league. They heading to the PAC 12 if these schools get in, been talk that the grant of rights is not legally binding and Texas is ready to challenge it.

I just want middle to be in a competitive basketball and football conference. If that's the AAc or MAC then so be it.

I really don't see tx, ou, osu and Kansas staying in the league. They heading to the PAC 12 if these schools get in, been talk that the grant of rights is not legally binding and Texas is ready to challenge it.

Agreed, Texas and OU aren't going to be thrilled having to travel to places like Memphis or Cincy every other year, and they certainly aren't going to split the pie with those guys. If they add anyone that doesn't pull their weight with the big boys (i.e. Memphis, Cincy, USF), then the B12 will break up. Like you said, TX and OU have already flirted with the P12 anyway.

There's simply no good teams left to add.

Sun Herald article (from a Southern Miss POV)

excerpt:

...The conference most likely to feel the brunt of Big 12 expansion is the American Athletic Conference.

Cincinnati seems like the most likely program to move from the AAC to the Big 12, but Houston, Central Florida, Memphis, UConn and South Florida are all sure to gain serious consideration. Out west, BYU and Colorado State seem like the most attractive targets.

So what does all this mean for Southern Miss and the rest of the Conference USA?

It certainly creates an opportunity for multiple C-USA programs if the AAC loses three or more programs. If the AAC loses one, it may mean a chance for a single C-USA school. If the AAC loses two schools, it may sit still at 10 members.

If you're a USM supporter, you're hoping that the Big 12 takes a big bite out of the AAC by taking three or more programs. There's no sure thing that USM is at the top of the AAC list if it loses a single member.

If the AAC is in search of three or more members, the Golden Eagles can be a serious candidate.

As I reported in March, USM athletic director Bill McGillis has made an effort to put the school in a good position with the AAC. He traveled to Orlando for the AAC basketball tournament this season.

The AAC's best options if it needs to reload are: Old Dominion, Southern Miss, Texas-San Antonio, Rice, Marshall, UMass and Florida Atlantic.....

Let's face it...if you are not in a P5 conference you will basically be relegated to 1AA+.

Could this be good for us and other G5 schools?

http://gridironnow.com/big-12-expansion-sec-expansion-conference-realignment/

This is pretty SEC-centric, so take it with a grain of salt, but this paragraph was interesting to me:

"So what does this all mean? If the Big 12 expands and eventually gets some form of a TV network, I think it decreases the likelihood of there being four power conferences with 16 teams each. For years, people have been predicting that is where college athletics eventually would settle."

We all know that conference realignment runs downhill, so if the SEC effectively stands at 14 and doesn't have anyone to add, that pretty much guarantees that our worst nightmare - 4 16 team power conferences that effectively creates another tier - won't come to pass, at least for several decades.

The keeps the door for us and the rest of the G5 open, at least with our foot jammed in it anyway. At this point, we have to keep moving forward and start separating ourselves from the rest of the G5.

Sun Herald article (from a Southern Miss POV)

excerpt:

...The conference most likely to feel the brunt of Big 12 expansion is the American Athletic Conference.

Cincinnati seems like the most likely program to move from the AAC to the Big 12, but Houston, Central Florida, Memphis, UConn and South Florida are all sure to gain serious consideration. Out west, BYU and Colorado State seem like the most attractive targets.

So what does all this mean for Southern Miss and the rest of the Conference USA?

It certainly creates an opportunity for multiple C-USA programs if the AAC loses three or more programs. If the AAC loses one, it may mean a chance for a single C-USA school. If the AAC loses two schools, it may sit still at 10 members.

If you're a USM supporter, you're hoping that the Big 12 takes a big bite out of the AAC by taking three or more programs. There's no sure thing that USM is at the top of the AAC list if it loses a single member.

If the AAC is in search of three or more members, the Golden Eagles can be a serious candidate.

As I reported in March, USM athletic director Bill McGillis has made an effort to put the school in a good position with the AAC. He traveled to Orlando for the AAC basketball tournament this season.

The AAC's best options if it needs to reload are: Old Dominion, Southern Miss, Texas-San Antonio, Rice, Marshall, UMass and Florida Atlantic.....

In the cascade effect, it's logical to speculate that C-USA just might be raided by AAC. I get Southern Miss being in the mix and putting themselves in the mix. Their football tradition gives them some credibility to make that assertion. I'd say Marshall would be in the same boat for similar reasons. Not real sure about media markets for those two, but football tradition and good attendance carry lots of weight.

I generally don't get the assessments after those two. How Middle Tennessee is not thrown in at the top of that list right after Marshall and Southern Miss boggles the mind. There is some real potential in a number of C-USA programs, including MTSU!

Rice has academic reputation to add to a conference along with a huge media market. Decent sports for Rice, but not a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination. Baseball maybe? Not sure that's a major factor.

UTSA has potential and a media market. That's about it. Media market and location are good for them, but they haven't realized any potential in sports to this point. They are all potential to this point beyond the media market.

UNT has same argument as UTSA if not a little better of a position. At least they have had some sports success every once in a while along the way.

ODU is attractive for a number of reasons. Good men's and women's basketball. Good media market. Potential as in a region that is hungry to support development of a big D1 program in the region.

Then it seems FAU & FIU keep getting mentioned. I just don't get it! IMO, they have proven to be poor picks for C-USA. Still, people list them as top candidates while MT is not even suggested. Those programs are hurting the conference at this point IMO. Sure Miami is a top media market, but it is a terrible spectator sports town. It just doesn't seem to be a part of the culture unless it's a real big event i.e. U of Miami vs FSU, Miami Dolphins playing a huge game, big event baseball games. As for FAU & FIU and media market, they sure helped with the awful media deal C-USA just signed. So what else are the offering? A low basketball RPI is about all I can tell.

Of all the recent additions to C-USA, in these first few years has there been a more ready and successful program than MTSU? The only missing credit is the C-USA football championship; however, MT has at least been competitive each year in football competing at the top of the conference. Both men's and women's basketball have been a force and among the best in C-USA. The Nashville media market is no slouch either. Not to mention that Nashville has been trending as one of the best, active, growing, vibrant cities in America the last 5 years or so, in other words, one of the hottest cities in the country. Again, MT athletics across the entire dept has been one of if not the best in C-USA. Sure football and basketball are the big sports, but the overall athletic dept is a significant part of the resume in regards to conferences. MT still has plenty of potential and room to grow as well.

WKY is a good conference partner and rival for us. They have grabbed a conf title in football, but we've owned them in basketball in recent years. MT still gets it's wins in football vs WKU just like vs Marshall. MT just hasn't been able to get over the hump to get that conf title in football. I suspect that is about to change within the next few years. This season is a real possibility! Overall, I'm not sure where WKU fits in regarding conference appeal, but they are sure are a heck of a lot better of a choice than FAU & FIU. IMO, MT & WKU are a dang appealing duo to add to many-a-good conferences especially AAC if the openings present themselves.

Lastly, LaTech typically has quality sports. I'm just not sure how their location or lack of media market helps them, or hurts them to be more accurate.

My guess is that Memphis is real high on the list to be added to the Big 12. Bottom line is $$$ as in most things in this old world. Memphis maybe the butthole of Tennessee, but the fact remains that FedEx is willing to put up tens of millions of $$$ to buy their way in. It doesn't get much more plain than that. A conference, and people in general, will overlook a lot when $30 or $40 million are being waved in their face.

I'm not sure about this talk regarding OU and Texas, I thought the vote was unanimous. Percentage chance of getting into playoff game irregardless of who they add as long as they add someone started the strong temptation. Of course the big $$$ media payout likely sealed the deal of expansion for them. The more they add; the more they get paid. To top it off, the current conf members can keep the increased media payout of the added new members! So, they can afford to take in a current subpar program and pay them $10 million a year less in media payout for say 5 or 10 years until that program is performing up to Big 12 standards. Under those circumstances, the Big 12 might just add 4!

That fed ex offer isn't new. It's been around for a couple of years. The big 12 coaches were polled and they voted for BYU and Houston. BYU's AD is now campaigning actively and has admin backing. They are the no. 1 choice. That part is obvious.

It's not like the big12 needs money. They have it. The Memphis deal is nice and all but it's not new. Dr. Pepper will sponsor the 2017 championship game like they did before.

That fed ex offer isn't new. It's been around for a couple of years. The big 12 coaches were polled and they voted for BYU and Houston. BYU's AD is now campaigning actively and has admin backing. They are the no. 1 choice. That part is obvious.

It's not like the big12 needs money. They have it. The Memphis deal is nice and all but it's not new. Dr. Pepper will sponsor the 2017 championship game like they did before.

OK JT, right now, $100 that Memphis is one of the first two picked. Put your money where your mouth is. It is going to happen. I just hope MT leadership is ready when it does.

Master plan already in place and funding committed from FedEx et al for acquisition of adjoining residential neighborhoods from Normal (West) to Goodlett (East) and Southern (North) and Spottswood (South). New 48,000 seat on-campus stadium, Audubon Park reserved for campus expansion. New IPF at Park Ave South Campus, new Basketball practice facility already under construction on Park Ave South Campus. New Nursing school and Community Health Building already completed at Park and Goodlett thanks to another big donation.

My guess is that Memphis is real high on the list to be added to the Big 12. Bottom line is $$$ as in most things in this old world. Memphis maybe the butthole of Tennessee, but the fact remains that FedEx is willing to put up tens of millions of $$$ to buy their way in. It doesn't get much more plain than that. A conference, and people in general, will overlook a lot when $30 or $40 million are being waved in their face.

Try $67 million a year over 15 years. That's $1B. Memphis has been at the top of the list for 18 months.

When will they be admitted? This year? By November? What's your bet? Is it ever or is it on a timeline? If it's by this November, I'm tempted to raise the stakes considerably. I want a trailer for my fishing kayak. However, I promised my wife that I wouldn't gamble anymore. She'd kill me even if I won. I want that easy loading trailer though. Dang it.

The big 12 is not in a hurry. This is a media blitz brought on in the worst time of the year to give all of these beat writers sometime to write about. Someone mentioned it but no one has stated a reason for any urgency. Their status or or playoff ability isn't being hurt. Oklahoma got in last year and they are getting a championship game in 2017. The spring meetings have already said that they aren't expanding within the next 2 years and I have no reason to doubt that personally.

The big 12 picking up 4 G5 teams would destroy that conference and they know that. Texas and Okie would take off to the highest bidder. If they expand at all, they go 2 then BYU is one of them.

315, I'm sorry that you are so desperate to be right. I wish I cared about this like you do but my loyalties are actually with MT. I don't go to other team's boards pretending to be a fan while pimping another team MT fans can't stand or couldn't give a crap about.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
i'm confused on the fed-ex deal. why he didn't give the money to the big east to keep them from breaking up? I don't see OU/OSU staying TX/KU Staying. the Oklahoma schools to the sec for a sure 30+ million a year and the other 2 to the Big for the same cash. It's being reported a few schools are still looking to leave. without those 4 the money want be the same for a tv deal.

The Longhorn Network deal runs through 2030. No way the SEC or any other of the P5's would allow that arrangement to stay in place. Texas and OU are supporting this expansion and Texas is really behind Memphis.

Last edited:
No way is Texas on board with bringing up 4 g5 teams into their conference. I have a hard time believing that. They were the main ones against expansion to begin with and still are to this point.

Last edited:
Try $67 million a year over 15 years. That's $1B. Memphis has been at the top of the list for 18 months.

I didn't remember exact details of amounts and when, but tens of millions seemed to be on the table. Bottomline, money talks. I'd be surprised if Memphis gets passed over on this expansion deal. Without all that big money, maybe Memphis is 5 or 6 on the list. It's pointless though as FedEx appears willing to throw down big bucks. I'm just saying that most people find it difficult to refuse to accept millions upon millions of dollars.

I'm still puzzled by some of the discussion. Are folks actually reading the linked article at the the top of the thread? Do most think the article is inaccurate?

It says all presidents voted to formally explore adding 2 or 4 programs. If these big schools of Texas and OU are against any expansion, why did their presidents vote to formally explore expansion?

Key points from article:

"A bang-up presentation by Big 12 television consultants Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures and Navigate Research changed hearts and minds in a conference that had indicated expansion was all but dead.

The same conclusions supplied to the Big 12 in early May apply: Any number of teams added to the 10-team league makes it mathematically more likely it will be in the College Football Playoff each year.

Research from Navigate showed that, in any given year, the Big 12 -- as currently constructed -- had a 62 percent chance of reaching the CFP. That number goes up to as much as 77 percent with expansion."

And this point:

""It's a statement from the board we want to move forward [with expansion]," Oklahoma's president said during a conference call on Tuesday."

And then this:

""It indicates that we live in a very fast-changing world...," Boren said. "We felt the need to receive at update from our consultants, including their best advice on what the impact of any ACC agreement ... might have on our conference."

With the landscape changing around it, why shouldn't the Big 12 take advantage of that clause? The conference could get it as much as $1 billion over the final eight years of its TV deal if it adds four teams."

Me again....I'm not saying this expansion is a done deal. I'm just saying the league members are really seeing some big benefits regarding $$$ and getting a team to the playoff each season. That's pretty big motivation.

If they do expand, big money from over at the butthole of the state of Tennessee will likely yield fairly serious consideration. My other guesses, BYU and Houston. Just guesses mind you.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Personally, I disliked reading the news of another round of possible expansion. I had hoped things would stay quiet and stable for at least a few more years. If it were to happen, I've been hoping after at least a few more years so MT can further establish itself as a solid player across the entire athletic dept. These areas of further growth and development to help establish MT would be a C-USA Football championship. Continued sustained success in these major sports of football and both mbb and wbb. Key would be improvement in attendance particularly in football. A couple of quality bowl wins would help also.

Stock has to get us to the CUSA title. Period. Marshall, WKU, LaTech and now So. Miss with Jay Hopson will make it even tougher. After 10 seasons and 3 games above .500, this is not an unreasonable expectation. If you think it is, I ask you to look just 100 miles of hate to our north.

If you say so. That absolutely makes zero sense to do that in the middle of a football season especially when the AD's and presidents can't meet together. This is typically done in the winter or spring. Nothing like July hype to get us through the dead period.

Stock has to get us to the CUSA title. Period. Marshall, WKU, LaTech and now So. Miss with Jay Hopson will make it even tougher. After 10 seasons and 3 games above .500, this is not an unreasonable expectation. If you think it is, I ask you to look just 100 miles of hate to our north.

Oh, I think it is doable for MT. No easy pushover this season, but possible. MT will have to be at top performance from the start of the season through the end of the season. The other recent top teams are having to replace a lot this year. They'll likely be good still, just not quite as good as recent seasons. IIRC, only in the conf title would MT face Southern Miss this season. The addition of Tony Franklin with what MT has coming back gives reason for optimism. Oh, and that it also looks like MT has stepped the recruiting for about 2 years now.

Regarding WKU, yea they had a heck of season last year. I wouldn't go so far to consider them some dominate football team over the last 5-10 years. WKU gambled on Petrino who helped set a foundation for success in his brief stint at WKU. When leaving WKU, he left some good coaches and developing players. WKU with Brohm got it done last season. Now they have to replace a lot. They'll still be pretty good. I'd be surprised if their HC stuck around for too much longer. Overall, WKU is pretty aggressive in aiming for success across sports. I don't think they maintain the consistent success in football like they do in basketball. Afterall, WKU is a basketball school. I think WKU will have their runs in football, but I don't quite think they are the next Marshall of football.

I find the B12 expansion fascinating.

BYU is the best football tradition available.
All the Texas schools (outside of UT) want Houston. The Texas Tech president is on record backing Houston.
UConn and Cincy make sense for a WVU eastern partner school.
UCF and USF would provide a B12 foot print in Florida, which every conference wants.

Then there is Memphis. Literally no current B12 school wants then. The only reason they are being considered is that they could buy their way in. It's like a jerk kid that no one likes getting invited to a birthday party because his parents buys all the other adults and kids gifts. It's sad.

I find the B12 expansion fascinating.

BYU is the best football tradition available.
All the Texas schools (outside of UT) want Houston. The Texas Tech president is on record backing Houston.
UConn and Cincy make sense for a WVU eastern partner school.
UCF and USF would provide a B12 foot print in Florida, which every conference wants.

Then there is Memphis. Literally no current B12 school wants then. The only reason they are being considered is that they could buy their way in. It's like a jerk kid that no one likes getting invited to a birthday party because his parents buys all the other adults and kids gifts. It's sad.
You take it any way you can get it.

ADVERTISEMENT