ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS BERC study: MT creates $1 billion economic impact, 8,400 jobs in Tennessee

This needs to be front page news on the DNJ (even tho I don't read it anymore). Maybe a marketing campaign to explain to the Boro how much this University means to the city.

I've said many times people in the boro do not realize how important MT is to their success and quality of life.
I agree there should be a campaign created to get the word out. Tie it to season ticket sales.

Reactions: dukewayne
Most of the business owners are too busy going to watch Calapari and Butch Jones speak at Boys and Girls Club events in town.

Based on what I heard years ago from someone who remembered the site selection process for MTSNS Columbia was offered the school but the city fathers turned it down. At the time Columbia was larger and had a higher profile than Murfreesboro.

It can be rationally argued that MT would be better off located in Columbia since the school (and it's athletic program) would have a "sphere of influence" which we obviously don't have in The Boro. being as all of Rutherford Co. is swallowed up by the metro Nashville market. But, it is certainly probable the school would not have experienced the level of growth it has seen.

Of course, the best location would have been in Nashville with TSU being located somewhere in West TN where, at the time, the expected student population was the largest.

Regardless, IMHO MT is located where it can't easily develop a "sphere of influence" and where there is obviously too much competition for attention and support. Location, Location, Location.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT