ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Bemoaning the Bubble: The NCAA should favor mid-majors, not mediocre big names

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
si.com:

Bemoaning the Bubble: The NCAA should favor mid-majors, not mediocre big names

... A peek at the undistinguished crop of teams hovering on the fringes of the NCAA tournament this year should be viewed with a clothespin clasped on one’s nose. There’s a middling TCU (17–12) team with a 6–10 league record, a California (19–9) team that didn’t play a true road game in the non-conference part of the season and herd of uninspiring SEC teams—Ole Miss (18–11), Alabama (16–12), Vanderbilt (16–13) and Georgia (17–12)—that are as unimpressive are they are unaccomplished. Until the past few days, some bracket experts included Clemson (4–12 in the ACC) on the outskirts of the tournament conversation. This crop of teams has ended up there by default more than accomplishment....

Have we forgotten that the Final Four runs of George Mason (2006) and VCU (2011)—both No. 11 seeds from the Colonial Athletic Association—came thanks to at-large bids that were deemed controversial at the time? These teams should be the reminders that a season of accomplishment should yield an opportunity for March magic.

The way things are trending, those star-kissed ones from Mason and VCU likely wouldn’t get in. Look at the top of the Missouri Valley, which is in danger of not receiving an at-large bid despite strong teams in Wichita State (27–4) and Illinois State (25–5). There’s a host of other juggernaut small-conference teams that need to win their league tournaments to make the NCAA tournament. Vermont (26–5, 16–0 America East) has the longest win streak in the country at 18 games. Middle Tennessee (24–4, 14–1) throttled No. 2 seed Michigan State in the NCAA tournament last year. Monmouth has put together another dominant season in the MAAC (25–5, 17–2). Princeton heads into the first-ever Ivy League tournament with white knuckles, despite a 19–6 record and 12–0 league mark. There are countless other examples—UT-Arlington, UNC-Wilmington, Belmont and Valparaiso.....

cbssports.com:

NCAA Tournament Bubble Watch: History against Syracuse, K-State, Illinois

excerpt:

... Only one team, Middle Tennessee State in 2013, has received an at-large bid with fewer than three RPI top 100 wins, and only five teams have received at-large bids with exactly three top 100 wins. Just two of those have come since 1994, the first year I started tracking the data, and the most recent was in 2003. Teams in danger zone: Mississippi, Kansas State, TCU, Boise State, California, Rhode Island, Middle Tennessee (4), Wichita State, UT Arlington, Illinois State (2)....

I think once you've beaten P5 schools in the NCAA tournament on numerous occasions you don't need to be referred to as a possible Cinderella

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I think once you've beaten P5 schools in the NCAA tournament on numerous occasions you don't need to be referred to as a possible Cinderella

Well, we did it in 1982 and in 2016...I think we will keep the Cinderella label for a bit longer.

Point taken, but I thought we beat FSU in 89 and made to the round of 32 in 75 and 77. Maybe the field was smaller then.

All I'm saying is Cinderella to me is a liberal arts college in the mountains somewhere with an enrollment of 3,000. When Cinderella plays P5 schools in the regular season she loses by 20. Not a school of 20,000 plus in a metropolitan NSA. With an arena of 12k and lengthy trail of P5 defeats.

The narrative last year should have been this is what happens when you under seed worthy teams.

We did beat FSU, forgot about that one. My point being you need to make some noise several years in a row to lose the label.

usatoday bracketology:

C6QJyKYUoAIFtPI.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT