ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Belmont launches college of medicine

While MT has addend concrete mgt. and fermentation science - two curriculums guaranteed to add prestige and future donors to the university.

Belmont has been our equal or better in Basketball and in their Music School for some time. Little Baptist school has come a long way since I started following area colleges - shows what a few $$$s from donors will do. Speaking of donations: I see that this medical school is being funded by HCA - another reason for me not to have medical procedures, unless absolutely necessary, done at a for-profit HCA facility.

And the city of Nashville needs a third medical school??? Guess HCA felt the need to compete more fully with VU.

Vanderbilt hospital has had a fair share of malpractice events go public that they need the competition.

Maybe there's room for a veterinary school here? Dentistry?
I think veterinary school with specialization in Farm Animals would be a good opportunity. Would also like to see MTSU should also expand their engineering options, but that might be in too much competition with TN Tech which the state hates to see

I think veterinary school with specialization in Farm Animals would be a good opportunity. Would also like to see MTSU should also expand their engineering options, but that might be in too much competition with TN Tech which the state hates to see
Doubt the forces in Knoxville would allow another Vet school if they could help it. At one time, IIRC, UT agreed not to offer competition to the Auburn Vet school in return for ????. One of my roommates in the mid to late 60s was accepted to the Auburn Vet school after only three years at MT and because of that alleged agreement only had to pay Alabama in-state tuition. That agreement, if indeed there was one, was made null when UT started the Vet School in 1974.

Common Market. It's why I ended up at MT instead of Belmont. Paid in-state tuition because the major wasn't offered in my home state. Looking back im grateful for MT over Belmont.

But as an 18 year old kid obsessed with music I wanted to be in Nashville. I was against MT as well because there is a local school here called Bluefield State and I saw MT as little like that due to state being in the name. After my first visit on campus I was hooked and ironically the new 1-A stadium is part of what did me in. But I've never understood why only one school can have a certain major in a state. What difference does that make. Sheesh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT