ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL bahamas bowl

"I think I underestimated the value of winning a bowl game," Selig said. "Had we not won the game, people would have still recognized us and remembered the game. But because we actually won the game, that went further to advance ODU's brand."

There is a difference between winning a bowl game and losing.
Congrats to the Monarchs. They got it done.

Winning bowl games really would help with season ticket sales if that's their concern. I'd love to know the increase in season tickets that we saw from our 1 bowl win.

When you win your bowl game, you are winning the last game of the year which happens to be on national TV and is talked about on sports center. We typically play in bowl games that are the only game that day, so it's our chance to shine (or fail). We've done a whole lot of failing lately which really has prevented the program from growing despite all the positive accolades CRS and Massaro want to throw out there.

Sure, we've won more than we've lost in conference, but nobody cares about running the score up against FIU/FAU/Charlotte. Conference championships and wins against the top teams in the conference are what matters and we've struggled mightily in that department.

Is it unfair of us as fans to demand a championship from a coach who's been here a decade? Hell, we have not even played in a CUSA title game since joining the conference. Utter failure.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
When you think about it, ODU has been closer to a CUSA championship game appearance than us. They actually tied for first place just lost the tie breaker

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
We're 1-5 in bowl games. Our average margin of loss is 16 points. That's the last thing anyone remembers about the football team when going into a new season.

And we wonder why we can't sell season tickets.
After their win over BYU in the Miami Beach Bowl in 2014, Memphis saw a 4,000 plus season ticket increase in 2015. They had already surpassed the 2014 total by July, '15.
Winning the bowl game does help sell season tickets.

After their win over BYU in the Miami Beach Bowl in 2014, Memphis saw a 4,000 plus season ticket increase in 2015. They had already surpassed the 2014 total by July, '15.
The 4000 were all raslin fans excited to see another brawl.
I kid.....I kid.

It's momentum.

This program has none and can't sustain any. It lurches along, every 2 or 3 game winning streak is met with a crushing defeat in big games.

The bowl games are hugely important for momentum and warm fuzzies that carry you through the offseason.

For 8 entire months, the last thought people have about Blue Raider football is a humiliating defeat.

Until the product gets better, the fans won't come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT