ADVERTISEMENT

Apoliticalness is not a virtue

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
I have always heard that two things you are not suppose to talk about are politics and religion. That might be good advice since both of these topics are considered volatile and can cause conflict but I personally find it difficult to be around people who are not conscious of the world around them.

In a phone conversation I had with one of my brothers last year, he told me that he was apolitical. I fully understand why people are fed up with politicians, but when our country and world are in peril, I find it apathetic and not virtuous to never engage in political conversations. How is it a virtue to never talk about something with someone who might disagree with you?

Sure, avoiding political and religious discussions are one way to avoid conflict since the person you are talking to may get upset and might even call you names. But when you engage in political discourse, you have to realize that some people will misunderstand you, or deliberately take what you say and twist it around, or even "label" you in a way to try to shut you up (e.g, the Democrats and Dr. Ben Carson).

But is getting people to think about important issues with political and religious ramifications really a bad thing when some of these issues can affect you for the rest of your life? I think not.

Choosing to be apolitical just to please everyone may have noble intentions but it certainly isn't something that should garner much respect.

Interesting point. I consider myself completely apathetic when it comes to politics. I haven't voted since the Kerry/Bush election. Don't plan to vote in this one either.

Honestly, I see absolutely no difference between Democrats and Republicans. Both sides are completely bought and sold 10 times over to special interest groups. We went from Clinton to Bush to Obama and not a single thing in my life changed based on what the guy in the office did or didn't do.

What are the big time issues that everyone gets fired up about?

Immigration - don't care. I like Mexican food.
Abortion - don't care one bit.
taxes - Negligible differences between each party.
Socialized healthcare - don't care.
Environment - don't care.
Gay marriage - don't care.
Jobs - don't care. Honestly, the types of low-skill jobs that people complain about not having probably should be sent overseas.

I'm kind of pulling for Trump just for the theatre of it all. I like Ben Carson as well. Hillary is unlikeable, and Bernie is just a nut.

bush2 really soured me on politics, but this election seems damn important, so far I am following it more than I have the past several. I may even register and vote in the primarys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT