ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Any Bright Spots?

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
I'm ashamed to admit that I'm doing my share of complaining about the whoopin' MT received at the hands of the Commodores. In an effort to provide at least a slight level of counterbalance, anybody see any bright spots worth mentioning?

Not sure how bright this is for MT, but it seems worth saying. I think that Vandy team under Mason is improving. MT got whooped. MT didn't appear ready or prepared, but Vandy did. For a Vandy team, they actually looked pretty good.

Vandy's defense was fast, strong, and suffocating throughout the game. They're athletic with good size. Dare I say, Vandy was starting to look like players and a team the way SEC players and teams look. I'm certainly not prepared to crown Vandy SEC champs or the next Bama. It did seem though that Vandy may just have the potential to be a competitive team in the SEC East this year. Again, I'm not saying they'll win it, but I don't think they'll be down in last place either. All of that to say, at least MT lost to a team that appears to actually be a pretty darn good team. If so, coach Mason may start getting other offers come December.

I really expected MT's defensive front to be the position group to be questionable and struggle. As the game went along, it seemed that MT's defensive line might be fairly solid if not the strength of the defense.

I wish I had further bright spots regarding MT, but there just wasn't much positive happening on the field. In fairness to the new Def Coord, he should be given a fair and reasonable amount of time to turn around the defense. While he seemed to do a few things MT hasn't in a few years, there is still a long ways to go before that defense is a positive or a strength. Hopefully he can get that done as this season moves along.

The only bright spot was the D got better, after Vandy's three drives they made one mistake on the Wheel route but played well from mid 2nd Q on...the second bright spot was CRS not parceling words in the interview. And the crowd, props to the community for coming out, it was the biggest tailgating scene I have ever seen at MT.

Reactions: dukewayne and Hop45
The positive I see is keeping Vandy to 28. I had them scoring over 40. This is a drastic improvement and Vandy's offense is much better than they were at this point last year. Our D played tough and forced Webb out of his comfort zone which is tackle to tackle.

I am not the slightest surprised at the outcome of last nights game. I knew we were rebuilding our lines of scrimmage. I knew Vandy wasn't. This is the same team that pistol whipped Knoxville last year. Their huge OL made our DL look like midgets from the wizard of oz. They still did ok. We played an unranaked team last night that shuld be ranked. Their tough.

There is a reason our OL coach had heart problems right after spring practice. He was extremely worried about what he saw. Our OL should not be at this point at this stage in Stockstills tenure. We shouldn't have to be in re-building stages. But here we are. I had some hope going into the game last night but in the pre-game interview with Franklin he said they they have not found an answer at tailback. That let the wind out of my sails. Mathers was a good receiver out of the backfield. We didn't have that dimension until Our O started bring James and Lee in to be an either or type guy based on our shifts and audibles. We were forced to do that. We must find us a tailback this week. As for the OL...I am confident we will find a better combination of guys over the next few weeks. They just sucked and I am being nice. Last night also made me question our Strength and Conditioning coach. To see Manciel in their at 260 is just rediculous. They should move him to the right side DE.

I will end on a positive. Khalil Brooks. Kinda reminded me of J.K. SABB? If he keeps it up the rest of the year then I will stick by that comparison.

Vandy only had 73 yards rushing. Give there QB credit, he was accurate. I give our D a B-

On O, I don't really think it's RB thing, purely an O-line thing and Vandy has a good D. I think with just a little improvement we would have scored 17-20 points last night. We had our chances. But the sacks- 5 sacks were something we don't see at MT.

I agree. I thought the defense played well. At least they tackled and went to the ball. Overall Vandy is just bigger and better on both sides of the ball. Brent had no time to throw, the running game wasn't established, Brent was sacked 5 times and we went something like 0/12 on third down conversations. The season just started and I'm not ready to throw in the towel by any means.

FWIW, this is coming from a pessimist/realist mindset

The safeties are gonna be tested for the entire season with every variation of a wheel route that CUSA Offensive Coordinators can concoct.

Whether it was Dale or Bush, somebody let Webb run right by them. It was an inexcusable backbreaker and it falls on poor coaching preparation.

The safeties are gonna be tested for the entire season with every variation of a wheel route that CUSA Offensive Coordinators can concoct.

Whether it was Dale or Bush, somebody let Webb run right by them. It was an inexcusable backbreaker and it falls on poor coaching preparation.

Or it could have been a player mistake...it looked like a bad angle from my view.

New uniforms look great.
Concessions improved.
Defense MIGHT be better
Can't really judge the offense, since they didn't show up.

No bright spots once in my seats from my POV

I was told by someone I trust that there were still long lines trying to get in after the kickoff and that some scanners weren't working apparently and gate attendants at one point were tearing tickets in half. I guess we won' t have to worry about the gate attendants being overwhelmed the rest of the season or next until some changes are made.

Reactions: T2Tool and Predarat
No bright spots once in my seats from my POV

I was told by someone I trust that there were still long lines trying to get in after the kickoff and that some scanners weren't working apparently and gate attendants at one point were tearing tickets in half. I guess we won' t have to worry about the gate attendants being overwhelmed the rest of the season or next until some changes are made.

I heard close to 45 minute wait times to get in. Unacceptable. By the time they got in, the game was pretty much done.

I guess the fireworks were a bright spot for those with small kids who hung around til the bitter end.
Unless they were sitting on the steel/visitor side, those folks were SOL and couldn't see shit. Little Middle can't even do fireworks right lol

A bright spot? The ribbon boards looked good.
And there shouldn't be a like for Puckett's the rest of the season.
So we got that going for us, which is nice.
In all seriousness, we got whipped by a better team. Just sucks that team is Vanderbilt.

Reactions: dukewayne
The D played well and did things that I haven't seen us do in forever. They are learning a whole new defensive style and the tackling was much better. Night and day difference. Vandy's O is much more innovative than they were last year and the execution was great on their side. We got confused and were unsure of positioning at times but overall, they got getter as the game went on. Vandy never pulled their 1's and yet, we got more in rhythm and became more solid.

First game with a new D while facing a good SEC opponent = tough learning moments. However, our ability to adjust and take away the middle pass late in the game was encouraging.

Only 1 turnover was a bright spot too.

How did Walter Brady look?

Still a little bummed he didn't work out at Mizzou. We haven't found a competent replacement yet.

Good to hear. We never got a real story on why he left, but the rumors were quite disturbing. Hope he does well for you guys (because mercifully we do not play you this season).

How did Walter Brady look?

Still a little bummed he didn't work out at Mizzou. We haven't found a competent replacement yet.

Walter Brady was one of the bright spots I should have mentioned. I imagine he was a big factor for the D-Line being a pleasant surprise. Early on in the game when Vandy's QB Shurmer was on a roll and couldn't be stopped, Brady had an impressive pass batted down on the line of scrimmage. It was about the only speed bump MTSU put out for Vandy's passing game in the 1st qtr. I was also impressed by Brady's relentless attack and hustle. It was excellent seeing him run down the ball carrier from behind who was already down the field about 10-15 yards. In my opinion, those are are usually great D-Lineman who are able and willing to run down a play downfield from behind.

I know I'm getting older as I really don't hear much of the talk or backstory on some of these guys' transfers etc. From what I can gather, he admitted transfer rule sitting out a year was really difficult. He went on to say it worked out well for his benefit as it gave him the time to settle down and focus on the classroom. Haven't heard any public talk of him having any problems this year. The coaches just usually mention that he is talented and hardworking.

Got in line at 638. Didn't get in the gate until 717. They tore my tickets. They weren't ready.

You have got to be kidding me. They are begging for years for fans to come out. When the fans do come out, the athletic dept is not ready?! I'm pretty much forming the opinion that the game as an event was managed poorly. This does not reflect positively upon AD Massaro in my opinion. It's the old joke almost, all summer, you had one job!

The positive I see is keeping Vandy to 28. I had them scoring over 40. This is a drastic improvement and Vandy's offense is much better than they were at this point last year. Our D played tough and forced Webb out of his comfort zone which is tackle to tackle.

I am not the slightest surprised at the outcome of last nights game. I knew we were rebuilding our lines of scrimmage. I knew Vandy wasn't. This is the same team that pistol whipped Knoxville last year. Their huge OL made our DL look like midgets from the wizard of oz. They still did ok. We played an unranaked team last night that shuld be ranked. Their tough.

There is a reason our OL coach had heart problems right after spring practice. He was extremely worried about what he saw. Our OL should not be at this point at this stage in Stockstills tenure. We shouldn't have to be in re-building stages. But here we are. I had some hope going into the game last night but in the pre-game interview with Franklin he said they they have not found an answer at tailback. That let the wind out of my sails. Mathers was a good receiver out of the backfield. We didn't have that dimension until Our O started bring James and Lee in to be an either or type guy based on our shifts and audibles. We were forced to do that. We must find us a tailback this week. As for the OL...I am confident we will find a better combination of guys over the next few weeks. They just sucked and I am being nice. Last night also made me question our Strength and Conditioning coach. To see Manciel in their at 260 is just rediculous. They should move him to the right side DE.

I will end on a positive. Khalil Brooks. Kinda reminded me of J.K. SABB? If he keeps it up the rest of the year then I will stick by that comparison.

Apparently I'm one of many that is thinking that Vandy is just a pretty good team. As someone already said, I just hate that it's Vandy that has gotten that good and whooped MT.

I don't know what is more disturbing, the fact that the OL is struggling mightily or that Franklin thinks the problem is that a RB needs to step up. Sure, I'm not at all the practices seeing all of the various players. Some I have been seeing in games though including seeing the OL play.

In my opinion, it's not even close, it's an OL problem. I'm a firm believer that in football, games are won are lost in the trenches. We saw that last night! MT's OL couldn't open up running lanes. The OL also couldn't protect the QB much less give him any time in the pocket.

I sort of get that coach Franklin wants playmakers on the field. It's still a little confusing that coach Franklin is complaining about lack of RB, yet he's slotting Tucker out to the slot while MT has a ton of WRs. What's going on? About 15 WR's on the roster and only 3 are reliable?

FWIW, Tucker has proven since he played as a freshman that he is a legit RB with versatility and good hands. If the OL could do even a fair job, Tucker would excel as a RB.

As much as it pains me to say this, it might turn out at the end of the season that Vandy was the best team we played all season. Just sayin'

The new Def Coord appeared to really attack the line and stop webb which was successful. I think the plan was to make them beat us by throwing it. In the last couple of seasons, this likely would have been successful. Up until maybe the last couple of games last season and especially vs MT, Shurmer is clearly showing his development. Coach Mason was reporting in the media during camp that Shurmer had developed the throwing game they needed. As the game went along, I'm guessing coach shaffer made the adjustments to slow down their passing game.

Additionally, it looked like MT had fielded some JUCO DBs in that 1st qtr. There were terribly blown coverages. Poor technique, just poor performance overall in the early going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT