ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL And of course our CUSA Champ takes care of business....vs. the MAC

6 false starts and not turning red zone visits into points did us in. Buzz saw not so much. We punch them in the mouth, score on those visits, and not make the worst turn over ever, we win that game. Same song different dance/bowl game. Only one constant though the years though. Big bald scared stuck still.

We didn't watch the same game. Our O was inept and our D got worn down. App at. took advantage and ripped our spines out. The false starts came from App st.'s players yelling during the cadence which is illegal but hey, if the ref ain't gonna call it, it was smart to do.

I can play your game too. I would agree we would have beat UAB if it weren't for a shoestring tackle but it wasn't the last play of the game. Plenty of time after that for anything to happen, like putting 12 men on the field after a timeout. We beat 2 teams with winning records. Thankfully our conference is crap except for a couple of teams every year separating themselves from the rest. We are never among those that rise above the rest. The Marshal win earlier this year was nice. They didn't have all their horses like QB or RB. Doc improved them and won his FIFTH consecutive bowl game.
We beat a UAB team without their starting offensive line, star running back and an injured QB who will have surgery next month. They recovered, beat us and won their bowl game.
I'll give you Apply was the toughest draw. I'm still not convinced we would have won if we were sent anywhere else. This head coach is not capable of preparing his team's to win.

We can't help who we play. Are we supposed to lose to those teams? That's why that argument holds no water. We still won those games and haven't had a losing season in 8 seasons straight. AJ was the starter for UAB and we dominated him. Johnston didn't start for them until week 8 or 9 I think. We sacked Johnston in the first UAB game as well. We aren't great but we're good. I wish we were better and could take care of business in the championship game but we were there.

We have the players. The offensive play calls and OL coaching were the glaring problems for me this year.

I mean we lost right? Or did you take a moral victory because we were so outmatched by a superior blue blood program in mighty app freaking state?

App state won 11 games, a championship, took Penn St. into overtime. They were a superior team to us in every way. We boxed with them in the first quarter but that was it. It wasn't even close after that. They have the 6th ranked overall D in the nation. Did you think tight formations with an overused sweep play was gonna cut it? The UAB championship loss took the wind out of our sails. It was obvious. We over-performed this year. For us to end up in a title game with a bad O-line is pretty incredible. App State's D line is a different animal and it showed.

We watched the same game but you just didn't know what you were watching. I knew this game would go down like this when they announced it. The only worse draws for us would have been Army or UCF. There are no better G5's out there right now. That was my point. It's no moral victory. They were just better. As a program, App State has a great track record. Way better than us. They have 3 national championships and 4 consecutive bowl wins and 3 conference titles in the belt. Just giving them the credit they deserve. I've followed them all season. We should swoop in and hire whoever is left from the coach switch.

Last edited:
I was never making any excuses. I was stating fact. While we shouldn't lose to a Sun Belt team, we did and that team was ranked earlier this year and should be ranked now. While Stock lost to a Sun Belt champion, Nick can't beat a good high school team. There is no difference between the belt and CUSA. None. This who's better crap in the G5 world is B.S. Nobody cares. Can you produce on the field or not? That's all that matters. We couldn't against App St. A healthy App St. can handle just about any G5 team out there and a lot of the P5 teams as well. If you can't handle that, I'm sorry but to say App St. wasn't a formidable opponent who was better than us is dumb. What conference they are in doesn't matter. That team is a team no one wants to play including P5 teams. There is no team in CUSA that can beat them.

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
Jt loves app state, why don’t you marry them? And take Wiley with you, you can drop him off at Oregon.

Merry Christmas boys! Damn proud to be a blur raider . Lot to be thankful for this year! Looking forward to that name change conversation come May!

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
I am also proud to be a Blue Raider. Alum and fan. Everyone on here is. I have enjoyed this season. I'm pretty sure folks on here knows how much I rep my squad and I usually pump sunshine to the point where I'm criticized for it.

In regards to App State, real recognizes real. I love CFB and App St. has a pretty dang good history. I wish we had a killer instinct like they do. I really wish we had their OL and DL coaches, I'm always MT till I die but I can appreciate other teams as well.

JT, I personally don't think there is anything wrong with losing to a Sunbelt team, nor do I believe that Conf. USA is that much better, if at all. What I take issue with is that the conference runner up got BLOWN AWAY by the Sunbelt. Losing by 10 or 14 is one thing, but there is no excuse for that performance other than poor coaching at some level. It's like we didn't even have a defense... Absolutely pathetic.

Oh, I'm not saying that it doesn't suck. I was just saying that I don't think any team in CUSA would have fared much better. UNT got waxed by Utah St. and everybody on here thought UNT was awesome after that Arkansas win. Utah St. and App St. are far tougher teams than Northern Illinois, Toledo, Hawaii and USF. They just are. It's not an excuse. It's a straight up fact. App St. is an 11 win team. It ain't a 7-6 team like Northern Illinois, Toledo or USF.

Now this can be used as an excuse but it's a factor. The UAB champ game ending was heartbreaking and I think there was some emotional carryover leading into the Bowl game. These are 18-22 year old young men. It played a role. None of us liked the results but UAB wouldn't have beaten App st. No way. Even when they played their starters in game 2 against us, they really didn't light it up. We lost due to a shoe string tackle. App State's secondary does not give up the deep ball like we do. UAB would have been grounded against them. I'm stating an opinion based on performance. Coastal Carolina beat UAB like a drum. App st. would too. Justice or injustice. It matters not on the gridiron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT