ADVERTISEMENT

A new age of recruiting, thanks to the NIL.

MT Glenn

True Blue
Sep 19, 2005
Travis Hunter, one the top-rated recruits in the nation, is receiving over $1 million, to flip from Florida State to Jackson State.

Just like that QB kid that left OSU after a semester and $ there to go to Texas and more $. It literally is pay for play now.

I said from the get-go this is going to be an unmitigated disaster and completely ruin college athletics as we know it. It's going to be a bonafied professional league in both football and men's basketball, with free agency each year via transfer portal and millions upon millions exchanging hands at each Power 5 school every year in the name of "Name, Image, Likeness" deals. "NIL" is just a big cover for flat out, straight up paying players to play. And when it comes to paying players, the highest bidders will win. And MT won't even be in the conversation. We will be losing players to FCS programs at that point.

It is professional sports and the sooner they come to terms with it and just allow it the better instead of masquerading around through 3rd parties and "NIL" deals. Give it time.

A school like MT is going to be absolutely screwed because we are poor and have probably some of the worst 3rd party financial fundraising in Division 1 athletics. I don't know of any big name individuals or companies that invest in MT or would have any interest in investing in MT athletics. We are, essentially, screwed in this new era of Major College Professional Sports (MCPS). Having an AD that can fundraise not just for his athletic department, but also for his athletes too, will be beyond imperative. Fundraising for your players and securing them deals will arguably the most important thing an AD and University can do for their players and player retention. Again, we are screwed in that department.

Basketball and Football are really going to suffer, and I predict a time coming where MT and schools like MT truly question their role and path in continuing college athletics. And many will decide there is no light at the end of the tunnel and put the programs out of their misery.

Ultimately, I believe that will be us. I give it 10 - 20 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTsumner92
I said from the get-go this is going to be an unmitigated disaster and completely ruin college athletics as we know it. It's going to be a bonafied professional league in both football and men's basketball, with free agency each year via transfer portal and millions upon millions exchanging hands at each Power 5 school every year in the name of "Name, Image, Likeness" deals. "NIL" is just a big cover for flat out, straight up paying players to play. And when it comes to paying players, the highest bidders will win. And MT won't even be in the conversation. We will be losing players to FCS programs at that point.

It is professional sports and the sooner they come to terms with it and just allow it the better instead of masquerading around through 3rd parties and "NIL" deals. Give it time.

A school like MT is going to be absolutely screwed because we are poor and have probably some of the worst 3rd party financial fundraising in Division 1 athletics. I don't know of any big name individuals or companies that invest in MT or would have any interest in investing in MT athletics. We are, essentially, screwed in this new era of Major College Professional Sports (MCPS). Having an AD that can fundraise not just for his athletic department, but also for his athletes too, will be beyond imperative. Fundraising for your players and securing them deals will arguably the most important thing an AD and University can do for their players and player retention. Again, we are screwed in that department.

Basketball and Football are really going to suffer, and I predict a time coming where MT and schools like MT truly question their role and path in continuing college athletics. And many will decide there is no light at the end of the tunnel and put the programs out of their misery.

Ultimately, I believe that will be us. I give it 10 - 20 years.

Not too many years ago, shortly after a new president of the U.S. was declared, we heard the words spoken - "fundamentally transform America as we know it"

I just went to ESPN.com to find out why the Memphis/Hawaii game wasnt on. Came across this story...

It was a good ride while it lasted

I’m with you Wiley, I really think this will destroy college football. I can understand the kids transferring because they want a starting position, but we have already seen (and it will get worse) kids that will look to upgrade their schools. So say MT gets a badass RB and he has a great season, then enters the transfer portal looking to go to Georgia or Florida. Sorry, but when that happens it’s going to really suck for teams like us.

I‘m afraid their is huge potential for the kids to really lose out on this. Bouncing around trying to find a team to start at, while the education side of the equation gets lost in the mix. Many players will end up 4-5 years down the road with no playing time and no degree. I can see that scenario happening a lot.

You could also see it the opposite way. Those students that go to Georgia or Florida State and realize they won't start and we can offer them that start.

What's sad though is if we were winning, that local car dealership would want to sign our QB to a few commercials. But sadly we aren't set up for that.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
You could also see it the opposite way. Those students that go to Georgia or Florida State and realize they won't start and we can offer them that start.

What's sad though is if we were winning, that local car dealership would want to sign our QB to a few commercials. But sadly we aren't set up for that.
There are two reactions to NIL

1) Adjust recruiting and use NIL
2) Complain that G5 is now like AAA Baseball for P5 leagues

IMHO any one who can spin any of three recent changes in college athletics (NIL, One time get-out-of-jail transfer - no questions asked, and $EC expansion) as a positive for MT is delusional.

These changes are in no way constructive for many schools including some currently residing in a Power Conference. The direction of college athletics is more obvious with each passing day.

IMHO any one who can spin any of three recent changes in college athletics (NIL, One time get-out-of-jail transfer - no questions asked, and $EC expansion) as a positive for MT is delusional.

These changes are in no way constructive for many schools including some currently residing in a Power Conference. The direction of college athletics is more obvious with each passing day.
Not all rule changes will benefit MT. But you CAN use some of the changes to benefit MT.

MT needs to hit the portal HARD for P5 guys looking for playing time & FCS guys looking to prove themselves at the "next level." And yeah, you'll lose guys jumping for a "better opportunity." As a personnel guy at a G5 school, it's time to think outside the box in your roster construction. It's a great opportunity to really be aggressive

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Not all rule changes will benefit MT. But you CAN use some of the changes to benefit MT.

MT needs to hit the portal HARD for P5 guys looking for playing time & FCS guys looking to prove themselves at the "next level." And yeah, you'll lose guys jumping for a "better opportunity." As a personnel guy at a G5 school, it's time to think outside the box in your roster construction. It's a great opportunity to really be aggressive
right, the rules are set up for aggressive coaches to get players to come to the schools and play ball. NIL isn't affecting the G5's and most of the P5's. Every player not getting paid. You just have to go out and upgrade your roster. I saw Deion Sanders made the comment his roster is 40-40-20. 40% Grad, 40% Portal and 20% High School

good points, AustinLewis. After reading your points, I'm thinking this may actually be a good thing for schools like MT.

This new development makes P5 competition less appealing to me. Makes it too much about money IMO. But I'm happy for the few players who will now be able to share in the profits theyre helping to generate for the BigSports machine. I have never understood why the NFL doesnt use farm teams the way MLB does.

(Actually, I do understand. Why pay for a farm system when taxpayers are subsidizing one for you via tax dollars given to state schools? It's a great system for the mega rich NFL owners. Pads their profits even more)

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Bill Snyder built a career out of Juco guys. On average 30 players were. Did he set the world on fire, no. But it can be done if. You just have to find the right guys. We should be checking the portal every day and have a social media guy who plants his face in Twitter watching for the next move.

We can survive this and even thrive but only if don't right. Which with our track record is a big if.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT