ADVERTISEMENT

4 year recruiting rankings

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
SBNation compiled a list of 4 year recruiting rankings. MT is ranked #94 (below WKU and the CUSA conference average). I'd love to see this next to the W-L record and SOS

Link

So, we're about average at bringing in talent.

Considering that we have 2 8-4 seasons and a 6-6 season in the last 3- could one make the argument that Stock is actually coaching our players up? Yeah, I know no one wants to hear that right now after our end of season flameout.

That said, I still think the rankings kind of miss the boat when you get down to our level. Sure, a top 10 class is likely better than a top 20 class.

But what's the difference between class #80 and class #90?

All I know is that in this class, almost every single guy except the kicker and the guy we took at the last minute had other FBS offers. I can't remember last time we landed a class that was that highly recruited by our peers at this level.

Rankings are complete B.S. IMO. They are totally subjective. They measure solely by star ratings which are subjective as well and are inconsistent. Rivals might have a guy at 3 stars but 24/7 has them at a high 2. They also don't measure needs and character. They only see the blue chip pick that probably won't fit and will end up transferring.

The reason we produce more with less is the same reason Boise was successful for all those years. We go after needs that fit what we do and we tend to get kids that are coachable and will go to class.

BYU got 8 3 stars and are ranked #66. We got 5 and are ranked 85th. Not a whole lot of difference there at all considering that the rest of those 2 stars are on the high end with another 6-7 really being 3 star level when you factor how easily they will fit within what we are doing. About half of this class will contribute this year. All of the Jucos we got are seeing the field. A couple of the DB H.S. recruits will be in the mix and some of the speedster skill

Here's where C-USA ended up in the rankings this year.

#74 Marshall
#76 Florida Atlantic
#77 Louisiana Tech
#82 UTSA
#85 Middle Tennessee
#91 FIU
#91 Southern Miss
#106 Western Kentucky
#108 North Texas
#114 Rice
#124 Old Dominion
#128 UTEP

ECU and Navy tied for #112
ULL #100
Utah State #126

Just to show how the star rankings suck. Calhoun and Harley were both 4 star transfers. At db, neither one could come close Alex Suber or Rod Issac's impact for this team. At RB, Calhoun was a 3 or 4 at best. Shane Tucker did more in 3 games in 2013 than Calhoun did in 2 years.

Dwight Dasher was a 2 star who outran a lot of 3 and 4 star players. Benny Cunningham was a 2 star recruit who put up 217 yards and 5 TD's on a GT defense laced with 4 star athletes. Boise State beat Oklahoma in 2006 with a bunch of 2 star athletes. I think my point has been made. :)

Originally posted by MidTnBlues:
What factors go into a high school kid's rating?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
That's hard to be specific about IMO, but in general - height, weight, agility, speed/power (depending on position), eye test (does he have the ability to gain weight, lose weight, hold weight, overweight, etc), film (does he dominate the competition like a FBS / P5 player should), and how he handles himself against top competition (camps, film play a role here

Originally posted by RaiderDoug:
So, we're about average at bringing in talent.

Considering that we have 2 8-4 seasons and a 6-6 season in the last 3- could one make the argument that Stock is actually coaching our players up? Yeah, I know no one wants to hear that right now after our end of season flameout.

That said, I still think the rankings kind of miss the boat when you get down to our level. Sure, a top 10 class is likely better than a top 20 class.

But what's the difference between class #80 and class #90?

All I know is that in this class, almost every single guy except the kicker and the guy we took at the last minute had other FBS offers. I can't remember last time we landed a class that was that highly recruited by our peers at this level.
Can't argue with much of that. I've wonder how good the record of a GOOD WKU, MT, or Marshall could have if they managed to avoid playing against a P5 team or two every year and Marshall's 2014 team showed that they could finish the regular season with 1 loss playing teams on their level (instead of teams in the P5 for money).

Rankings are not complete BS, they are just a different metric. One of several that determine how successful we are.

I would not say we are coaching up, I would say we are about as good as our coaching and recruiting - about average for our conference. An 8-4 record with our schedule is not like an 8-4 record from a P5 school.

I think we do OK, not great or really good, not bad, but OK. This year we are ranked 5 our of 12 in CUSA and that is about where we sit in the pecking order.

There are only two ways to get better, better coaching or better recruiting.

Rivals breaks prospects down in a litany of ways. There's film evaluations, camp evaluations and in-game evaluations. The more film a player has and the more camps they participate in, the better for them.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

"Considering that we have 2 8-4 seasons and a 6-6 season in the last 3- could one make the argument that Stock is actually coaching our players up?"

Recruiting ratings mean knothing. How they perform 1, 2, or even 3 years later is the proof in the pudding.

Seems like we have been doing pretty good. Even with the end of the year debackle, all thingas considered it wasn't that bad.

GO RAIDERS GO

D-winns

Originally posted by D-winns:

"Considering that we have 2 8-4 seasons and a 6-6 season in the last 3- could one make the argument that Stock is actually coaching our players up?"

Recruiting ratings mean knothing. How they perform 1, 2, or even 3 years later is the proof in the pudding.

Seems like we have been doing pretty good. Even with the end of the year debackle, all thingas considered it wasn't that bad.

GO RAIDERS GO

D-winns
Yes and no. Thereotically, a 3 star should outperform a 2 star nearly every time for the same reason that NFL teams to expect their 1st round pick to make a bigger contribution than their 2nd round pick. But we know that this doesn't happen every time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT